Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Safe Dehumidification

Spring for a Goldenrod heating rod. It raises the temp slightly in the safe and humidity just doesn't become a problem. Have had one in my safe in the basement for 5 years. No rust, no problems. Only hard thing is getting the wiring through the safe wall, but you can usually find a place. Think I got mine from Brownells, but an internet search should find one.

Humidity should be kept as LOW as possible. Desiccant packs, etc. should be used liberally to maintain that level.

As far as temperature, keep it as constant as you can, but don't fret too much over it. As long as you're not looking at something ridiculous like 50 degree fluctuations each day, I'd ASSume you'd be fine.

Rice is the "secret" dessicant that photographers use to keep their film from getting wet. If you're too cheap to buy a goldenrod, a simple flourescent light will do the same thing. All you need to do is raise the temp over the dewpoint to keep water from condensing.

Read this thread a week ago, ordered a Goldenrod the next day, got it yesterday, installed it last night, just threw out the rice in the bowl at the bottom of the safe and gave the bowl back to my wife.

BTW EricW, you are dead on, my wife is a photographer and that is where I got the rice tip many years ago. Rice has worked well, but the Goldenrod is the shijt. Lektricity, baby!

Thanks all.

Regards,

If you ran the electrical into the safe with conduit with appropriate thermal insulation, it will probably be OK. Running an extension cord through the lifting bolt hole (like mine) is probably a terrible idea from a fire standpoint.

Another way for Humidity control...

I use something called 'Star Brite' no damp. It's these granuale in a little cup, that sucks the water out of the air. The refills are ~ $3, available at marine stores. One lasts for 8-12 months - just pour the water out of the cup thingy (very technical term) when it starts getting noticeable

I do both. I have a goldenrod (been on for a couple years straight and so far fire-free), and a dessicant pack. Before I got the goldenrod I had to recharge the dessicant every month or two. Afterward I only have to do it once or twice a year.

Another avenue is silica gel.

Bake out the water in the oven. You can get the prepackaged type from a variety of sources, or get the stuff in bulk at craft stores and make your own unit.

About 15$ for a very large container, used by some to dry flowers for art and craft projects.

Lasts indefineately. Bake at 350 degrees for 3-4 hours to recharge.

Travis F.

My safe is in the basement (cool and damp), so I have triple protection: Goldenrod, dessicant pads (the good military ones that you can bake to recharge) and rice. This combo, I'm in Southern Maryland about 1/5 mile from the Chesapeake Bay so it's very humid, barely seems like enough. I lived in Colorado for 10 years and never realized how good I had it.....

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity I put a gage in my 48 cubit foot safe to measure the humidity. Over the course of a week I saw daily reading of about 62% to 68% humidity, interestingly right now the outside the humidity is 63% and the interior of my safe is about 67%. This is with a golden rod, 3 large dessicant bags (recently baked), 5 small dessicant bags and some fresh rice. <_< Obviously my basement is pretty humid, and I live in a crappy climate, but it's not so bad that my basement walls sweat....

Note that many 'fire-resistant' safes use plain ol drywall as a fire-liner-- and drywall contains quite a bit of moisture when fresh-made. It took my safe a while before the drwall got really dry and the humidity got down to reasonable values.

• 2 years later...

Anyone ever have any concerns regarding the placement of their goldenrod or that it might be "too hot"? I just got mine yesterday and installed it last night but I'm worried that having it within 3-4" of some of my varnished wood stock guns might cause yellowing/blistering of the finish over time. Is there a minimum recommended distance or configuration? Anyone ever had any problems with this or am I just being paranoid.

John

I use stuff called "Dry-Z-Air". Looks like little styrofoam pellets, goes into a basket over a little cup. It pulls *lots* of moisture out of the air, just have to remember to dump the liquid out periodically.

http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catal...z_Crystals.html

I used it for years on boats, it has worked fine in my safe, too, without having to run electricity into it. I get it at a marine hardware store, it isn't much for refills - a case of refills costs something like 30 bucks, and I go through maybe 2 refills a year.

B