Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the amount of time 9mm reloaded rounds can be stored?

Hello: I can't seem to store mine for very long since I have been shooting them up :roflol: I would suggest you get some steel ammo cans from a surplus store and use that to store them in. Those ammo cans are water proof and even will hold up in a fire. I had a neighbor who stored his ammo in his garage that went up in flames. The shotgun shells went bang but all his rifle/pistol ammo was fine since they were in the ammo cans. The garage actually fell on the cans as well. Guess what they still went bang afterwords. Make sure you write what loads they are on the inside of the ammo can so you will remember. I have one can that is a mystery 9mm but I use them for my Mech-Tech Glock 9mm. Thanks, Eric

Just a few tips on buying surplus ammo cans:

1. actually make sure there is a gasket inside the lid's groove and that it hasn't dry rotted, so DO open them up at the surplus store before buying them

2. when they are open, check to make sure the sides aren't dented in or out. A dented side will not engage the rubber gasket when you close the lid.

as long as its stored in cool/dry conditions it will last forever, I have shot some 'factory' 30-06 that had headstamps from the 1940's and it all went bang just fine

I read where they found a GI .45 on one ofthe pacific islands presumably lost during the battle forthose pacific islands, the pistol was loaded with 7 rounds and the mag still functioned and the rounds went bang(out of another gun, justfor safety's sake)

depends on the storage method and the bullet type....you can also use a primer sealer or a small amount of bullet lube around the neck if you are ultra paranoid....if the brass tarnishes you can always tumble it and inspect every few years....50 PLUS year old surplus regularly sells on the open market....hell I even soaked a few live rounds in IOSSO once by accident...just for the hell of it I tried firing them.....even totally corroded (to the point of being green) and having been submerged in a cleaner for over 30 min....they still went bang, and were just as "accurate" as the rest of the lot....