Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Gunsmith Search

Alienwordz

I fell in love with Tanfoglio handguns since discovering one on a sale table at a local gun show and have been shooting them ever since BUT I cannot find a local gunsmith in the Portland, OR area who knows much about them. I am not highly technical and I hate to use the excuse because I am female but that is the truth. I love shooting the gun but I cannot fix it or find anyone who has a lot of knowledge about repairing them. Many local smiths will not touch the gun as they claim to not have any experience with them. I will consider sending them out of the state for repair and fine tuning but only to an expert. I say "them" because I buy almost every 9mm Tanfoglio that appears on Gunbroker and Guns America that looks viable. I am fortunate as I have yet to be burned but I am sure that will happen someday.

Also, does anyone know if there are Tanfoglio promo items available? I managed to purchase a hat from NZ but there is not a whole lot out there and I would think since the guns are so popular elsewhere around the world there should be some promo stuff available to us in the U.S.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Kimberly

"It's NOT TANG-foglio, idiot!"

Rob Shephard at Major Nine Guns in Salem works on my Tanfoglio Gold Team race gun, and has always done a good job on everything I need.

http://www.m9guns.com/

What is your specific problem? Maybe we can help too. There's a lot of good info in the Vendor area of this forum. EAA/Tanfoglio forum.

THANKS. I have one 9mm Match that worked fine and then it began Failing to Feed. The cartridge would not go up the ramp and when I removed the ones that failed to feed there was a gouge line on the bullet (jacketed) and onto the case. There must be a metal bur on the ramp but it even if there was the cartridge does not go into the chamber. I have tried four different kinds of ammo initially thinking that was the problem but they all jammed.

EAA Match in 9mm that are sold here in the US are Large frame that dont work.

EAA match in Europe are in small frames that DO WORK! and can not be distributed in US.

we are all waiting for EAA to come out with a better reliable magazine in 9mm.

our option right now is to have the barrel reamed out to 38 super and get 38 super

magazine to make it work. Customer service at EAA is not too good and you will just

be disappointed. Take my advise and preety much all of us here will say the same

to make the gun work. Send it to Rich at Canyon creek..He is the most expert in EAA.

Rich is Henning Wallgreen's gunsmith who is a PRO shooter that uses EAA guns.

Call Henning and he will lead you in the right direction.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

... there was a gouge line on the bullet (jacketed) and onto the case. There must be a metal bur on the ramp but it even if there was the cartridge does not go into the chamber. I have tried four different kinds of ammo initially thinking that was the problem but they all jammed.

Do you by any chance have a photo showing the mark on the rounds that failed to feed?

I am assuming that this is factory ammo, right?

Do you know the overall length of the ammo?

You mentioned that the gun was working before so I suspect that something has worn out, there could be an issue with the extractor, magazines, magazine catch or even the slide pin that could alter how the rounds are presented to the barrel. If we can see the mark on the round then this will help to identify the problem, if you can't get a picture can you describe the location/angle of the mark instead?

... there was a gouge line on the bullet (jacketed) and onto the case. There must be a metal bur on the ramp but it even if there was the cartridge does not go into the chamber. I have tried four different kinds of ammo initially thinking that was the problem but they all jammed.

Do you by any chance have a photo showing the mark on the rounds that failed to feed?

I am assuming that this is factory ammo, right?

Do you know the overall length of the ammo?

You mentioned that the gun was working before so I suspect that something has worn out, there could be an issue with the extractor, magazines, magazine catch or even the slide pin that could alter how the rounds are presented to the barrel. If we can see the mark on the round then this will help to identify the problem, if you can't get a picture can you describe the location/angle of the mark instead?

There is just a "scratch" from the tip of the bullet straight down to about half way down the case. Of course that is about as far is the bullet goes toward entering the chamber/barrel before it stops. It almost looks as if the angle of approach is too steep when leaving the magazine.

EAA Match in 9mm that are sold here in the US are Large frame that dont work.

EAA match in Europe are in small frames that DO WORK! and can not be distributed in US.

we are all waiting for EAA to come out with a better reliable magazine in 9mm.

our option right now is to have the barrel reamed out to 38 super and get 38 super

magazine to make it work. Customer service at EAA is not too good and you will just

be disappointed. Take my advise and preety much all of us here will say the same

to make the gun work. Send it to Rich at Canyon creek..He is the most expert in EAA.

Rich is Henning Wallgreen's gunsmith who is a PRO shooter that uses EAA guns.

Call Henning and he will lead you in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice.

I wonder if the rounds are scraping the front of the magazine as they are stripped off. If that it the case then perhaps all you need some new magazine springs (and perhaps followers), especially if you have had them for some time they may have lost some of their pressure so the rounds get pushed down.

Can I suggest that you give Henning a call on Friday and explain the problem to him and maybe order a couple of springs/followers to see if this solves the problem (start with the cheapest solution first). Henning may have some other ideas to try as well. The good thing is that the gun was working, so your setup is ok, so I suspect that something has just worn out enough to start causing problems.

Henning's a great guy to deal with, I'm sure the problem will get resolved.

I think Jim Anglin- Sailors Custom Gun, has experience with these guns also. He's a fine smith and a helpful guy too! You can PM him through the forum to get more info on connecting with him.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and I will definitely start making contacts. I took my 9mm Match Witness to the range today after thoroughly cleaning it and after two magazines through it like last time all the problems started again. I have used various manufacturers ammo, including some east block and the Romanian ammo gave me the least problems and the Russian ammo only got one round to feed. The Remington and "eco-ammo" were the worst and now I notice the scratch on the bullets that do not feed again although shorter. That is not progress. Thanks again for your suggestions they have all been very helpful.

Kimberly

The EAA guns are long frame in the US and if you use 9mm you MUST get the correct magazine. If you use the magazine intended for 38Super you will have serious issues with 9mm.

RSR sell the correct magazine get your dealer to contact them.

I have 2 original made in Italy short frame Tanfoglio, one is very good (Metallic sight as issued 9mm), one has been dabbled with (Silver Team 9x21 Open gun), and an EAA Witness 9mm as issued using a long frame and 9mm magazine, we have some trouble getting the 9mm magazine and we have tried the 38Super magazines and if you load JHP at about 1.180" - 1.190" they will work. I had to load them at about 135pf or a little more and the gun runs fine. Factory ammo is hopeless in my gun with the long magazines.

The EAA guns are long frame in the US and if you use 9mm you MUST get the correct magazine. If you use the magazine intended for 38Super you will have serious issues with 9mm.

RSR sell the correct magazine get your dealer to contact them.

I have 2 original made in Italy short frame Tanfoglio, one is very good (Metallic sight as issued 9mm), one has been dabbled with (Silver Team 9x21 Open gun), and an EAA Witness 9mm as issued using a long frame and 9mm magazine, we have some trouble getting the 9mm magazine and we have tried the 38Super magazines and if you load JHP at about 1.180" - 1.190" they will work. I had to load them at about 135pf or a little more and the gun runs fine. Factory ammo is hopeless in my gun with the long magazines.

I think you mean "large" frame and "small" frame

I load my sons 9mm for his Witness Match to 1.135 COAL with Mt Gold 115 FMJ and he just finished shooting 1000 rnds over 2 days w/o a single feed problem. The mags are factory tangfolio large frame 9mm, and were in the original factory packaging with red followers. Take the barrel out and run a cotton ball over the feed ramp to see if it snags on anything. If not check your mags to see if the problem is there. We haven't had any feeding problems at all.

Edited by azeric

No feeding problems huh? what is the magazine capacity?

I found that more than 12 rds, on the large frame of 9mm will

nose dive.

They are fine with 17, try for the 18th and they will nose dive for sure, at least every time we try. They are the factory 18 rnd mags with the red followers and plastic base pads. If we don't keep them really clean

they will start having some nose dive problems as well. We clean them after each use and that seems to keep 'em happy.