Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25-3 Questions

atlscrog

All,

I came across a 25-3 this morning. Curiously, the gun shop tag indicated it was a 45 ACP. Upon inspection, the cylinder does not appear to be cut for moon-clips and web-research leads me to think that the 25-3 is a 45 Colt rather than 45 ACP.

Is this correct?

Also, I've been looking for a 25-2 for a while I'm curious what the thought is on having this 25-3 fitted with a 45 ACP cylinder?

Thanks,

Scott

That one would be a .45 Colt.

Installing a .45 ACP cylinder (if you can fine one) would be possible, but would require setting back the barrel and shortening the extractor rod and centerpin. The longer original .45 Colt cylinder would not interchange. This probably would not make financial sense.

The 25-3 was made in 1977 as a 45 Colt. To see if it has been converted, look in the chambers and see if the part where the case ends is

a square shoulder or if it's tapered. Rimmed cases have a taper, rimless are squared. If the throats are not oversize, has a good forcing cone, concentric muzzle crown, and properly timed, it will shoot 45 ACP just fine. In other words, if it is mechanically correct as it should be. Any revolver must have these areas done right to be accurate. If all that is in order, you could have the back of the cylinder cut for moon clips and

go for it.

Edited by Toolguy

Am I over-dosed on caffeine this morning, or do I recall that the 25-3 was chambered in .45 Colt, but used a cylinder the same length as the .45 ACP? Thus, a (if the dimensions work out) simple cylinder swap might well be in the cards?

I thought the 25-3 came with 2 cylinders. The 25-5 was the version in 45 Colt. I had the 25-5 and 25-2, never had the -3 version. I believe they only made it one year.

This 25-3 is the 125th Commemorative Edition if that makes any difference in the cylinder length.

Also, I could go measure the cylinder if someone would provide the specs.

And thanks for the replies and advice... I'll most likely pass this deal up. While they didn't give me a firm price, $700 was mentioned.

Thanks again,

Scott

You could also get it cut for moons and shoot ACP and Colt, though you may have to used bullets sized bigger than normal in the ACPs to get them to shoot accurately. Somebody on here has done just that with good results, others not so much.

All,

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm going to let this one pass.

Scott

Sorry to be late but I have a buddy who has a M25 in 45 LC and he had it cut for 45 ACP Moon Clips, uses 45 ACP loads in it and it works great!!!

He even shot it in Memphis and the gun never gave him any trouble.

Dave

Edited by pskys2

All,

I came across a 25-3 this morning. Curiously, the gun shop tag indicated it was a 45 ACP. Upon inspection, the cylinder does not appear to be cut for moon-clips and web-research leads me to think that the 25-3 is a 45 Colt rather than 45 ACP.

Is this correct?

Also, I've been looking for a 25-2 for a while I'm curious what the thought is on having this 25-3 fitted with a 45 ACP cylinder?

Thanks,

Scott

Hello Scott: I just noticed a 25-3 on gunbroker that is listed as a 5" 45acp, you might want to compare images. My standard catalog of Smith and Wesson shows the 25-3 to have been built in both 45 acp and 45 colt. It also mentions that the 45 Colt was a short cylinder, this would make it much easier to convert it to a 45acp.