Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EOTECH VS AIMPOINT

npolley

i just cant decide. ive searched searched and searched, i just cant figure out what to go with.

EOTECH 512

OR

AIMPOINT COMP M3

i know its personal pref but i just dont know which to go with. it seems people like both alot. which is more popular for people with bad vision, i cant seem to find that info out there. ive had multiple surgeries for vision correction.

all in all whats more popular at everyone's 3gun matches?

I like the ML3 with 2moa dot. I really like the reticle and design of the Eotech but they are just not reliable. I have had three Eotechs and they all have had problems. I've had 4 Aimpoints and still have 3. I still have not changed the batteries on any of them and they have never given the slightest hint of trouble.

i just cant decide. ive searched searched and searched, i just cant figure out what to go with.

EOTECH 512

OR

AIMPOINT COMP M3

i know its personal pref but i just dont know which to go with. it seems people like both alot. which is more popular for people with bad vision, i cant seem to find that info out there. ive had multiple surgeries for vision correction.

I don't see a lot of red dot optics at 3-gun matches...

As for the vision question - it seems that astigmatism can lead to both/either/or Aimpoint and Eotech reticles looking blurred or smeared. Seems to vary quite a bit and is accentuated by use of a magnifier. Your best bet is to get hands on both optics (the specific model), preferably with a magnifier, and see how they look to your eye.

The vast majority of the shooters here (SoCal) use a magnified optic --- in order of populairty I would say the Trijicons(TR21/etc), Burris XTR, Leupolds and Meopta are used. Once in a great while if a shooter is using a red dot (other than Open shooters) as his only sight he is usually using an EOTECH. I don't remember ever seeing an Aimpoint.

I bought an EOTECH XPS2 in anticipation of RDS being accepted into Limited. :rolleyes:

The "dot" looks like it is a dot-matrix and not solid. I would think the Aimpoint would have a much better defined dot.

So I would probably steer you to an Aimpoint... if you really want a red dot.

If you have bad vision I would recommend a 1-4X variable over an RDS.

What Todd said.

The Eotech MAY be a tad better from some of the more difficult shooting positions, and they MAY have corrected the battery compartment issue, but I've had 2 and problems from both. 3 Aimpoints and nothing but trouble free service from all, M4, ML3, and M2. Go with the 2 minute dot.

I'm on my second Aimpoint ML2. On the first one, the dot started disappearing and flashing when it was about 6 months old. I sent it back to Aimpoint and they replaced it for free. (It was a grounding issue they said.) I don't have much time w/ an EOtech, but comparing the two, the Aimpoint seems to be indestructible. The 4MOA dot in my Aimpoint is too big to engage anything over about 250 with any precision. At 300, I turn the dot off and flip up the rear sight.

I think your best bet is to see if you can borrow something from fellow competitors to try out different optics. May take a little time, but it seems that the details of the way people "task" visually is pretty variable. I think this is the underlying reason for SO many variations in aiming systems. You will find one or another system is more natural for you. As far as "bad vision" find a good Optometrist. Assuming that you do not have a pathology of the eye or retina that requires the medical skills of an Ophthalmologist, there are wonderful things that can be done with the right corrective optics. That is generally money well spent if for no other reason than the ENORMOUS dedication of resources in the central nervous system directed to the visual process. Making your visual system as efficient as possible, makes every other activity you will spend energy on work better.

The Rock Man said to Oblio, "Ya see what ya wanna see and ya hear what ya wanna hear, ya dig?"

:rolleyes:

well ive had lasik done to one eye and an implanted type lens in the other. my real problem cant be fixed. i see fine at distance now but at about arms length with both eyes open i can hold up one finger and i see double and if i focus on my finger then the target in the background goes double. thats what happens when you correct a very very very very near sighted person.

i finally got my hands on an eotech 511 and an aimpoint mini. the eo was alright, the aimpoint that they had was way toooo small.

the reason im want to go with the red dot is that at the 3 gun matches here there arent any targets over 100 yrds

Edited by npolley

I have 1 Aimpoint and 3 Eotechs and have had 0 problems, even after droping on off a 50 foot cliff it still works and you can hardly tell where it impacted.

Thankefully it was not attached to anything (other than my fat fingered friend).

Like you found out the Aimpoint dot is more for precision while the 65/1 gives you fast close in and a tight dot for long range.

The Aimpoint has functioned flawlessley as well.

I don't know what's "better" for the types of stages you described, I'd imagine it's more of a training issue than any thing else.

I will say this, though. I own both an EO and several Aimpoints. A couple years ago I T&E'ed a Comp4 and a T1. I beat the snot out of both Aimpoints...and then bought those very sights. They are really indestructable and the batteries last forever. Not exactly the Comp M3 you're thinking of, but close.........

I'll never buy another EO. I used to own 3 and had nothing but problems, crappy battery life being the main one.

If you haven't already read this, here's the details on what I did to 'em:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=Aimpoint

Edited by Big Shooter

After christmas, I'll have more free time and we may be able to get together so you can check out what I've got. I have a Millett DMS on one rifle, and within a couple weeks I'll have a lightweight carbine with a holosight and co-witnessed irons if you'd like to compare. I'll send you a message soon. The Millett's not a bad red dot on 1x, but eye relief is definitely an issue. I'm gonna need to work on consistently mounting the rifle every time.

EOTECH 512

OR

AIMPOINT COMP M3

As a former owner of 3 different Eotechs and a current owner of 5 Aimpoints I will say Aimpoint is the hands down better choice for durablity and reliabity as well as battery life. You can be reasonably competative in three gun with a magnifier in flip to the side mount behind your Aimpoint.

Pat

the reason im want to go with the red dot is that at the 3 gun matches here there arent any targets over 100 yrds

I find my EOTech 512 equipped 16" barrel AR ideal for these sort of matches where most of the targets are in the 50-100 yard range or closer: faster and precise enough for the occasional stage out to 125 yards, if need be, with my eyes. Very quick to acquire the sights under any conceivable position, especially weak shoulder and other awkward positions. I like EOTechs, especially considering the initial cost, but like any electronic gizmo they can go belly up. As has been noted, if your vision problems include astigmatism, you will be seeing a very blurry dot.

Where the matches include lots of stages with shots beyond 100 yards, it's definitely time for my Meopta-equipped 1-4X 20" AR.

Both setups work well...but for your sort of matches, I'd prefer the EOTech.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

EOTECH 512

OR

AIMPOINT COMP M3

As a former owner of 3 different Eotechs and a current owner of 5 Aimpoints I will say Aimpoint is the hands down better choice for durablity and reliabity as well as battery life. You can be reasonably competative in three gun with a magnifier in flip to the side mount behind your Aimpoint.

Pat

I concur, the Aimpoint beats the EOTech in battery life and reliability; as proof the Military just ordered more Aimpoint Comp M4s that beat the EOtechs in trials.

I am near sighted and without my prescription lenses I can still use an Aimpoint; the dot just looks bigger. An EOTech is unusable without my glasses; it looks like a big red blur.

I bought the XPS over the other models because they are lighter and because of the battery's position. I'd read reports that the jarring of the recoil in the other models may lead to them failing due to their batteries' orientation --- the terminals are on the front and back vs. on the sides with the XPS models.

In 3-Gun part of the problem is seeing the target, I have hit targets at 300 yards with a Bushnell Holo (same thing as EoTech) however there were targets I could not see at 200 yards due to shadows etc. I have gone to a Weaver 1-3x for 3-gun. I lose a little on the short stages but the long shots are easier.

I use an EoTech on short Range Carbine matches, faster and accuracy is good.

The Aim point is an excellent optic, I would use one except I am left eye dominant right handed, so with the aim point I must close one eye to shoot. With the EOTech I shoot with both eyes open, that way I'm not running into walls and poppers and such.

In 3-Gun part of the problem is seeing the target, I have hit targets at 300 yards with a Bushnell Holo (same thing as EoTech) however there were targets I could not see at 200 yards due to shadows etc. I have gone to a Weaver 1-3x for 3-gun. I lose a little on the short stages but the long shots are easier.

I use an EoTech on short Range Carbine matches, faster and accuracy is good.

The Aim point is an excellent optic, I would use one except I am left eye dominant right handed, so with the aim point I must close one eye to shoot. With the EOTech I shoot with both eyes open, that way I'm not running into walls and poppers and such.

Confused here. Both the Aimpoint and the Eotech are red dot sights that are designed to be shot with both eyes open. Not sure why you are having a problem shooting with both eyes open on the Aimpoint.

Pat

Not trying to hijack this thread but if magnification is an issue that has some recommending the 1x4 scopes, couldnt a flip to the side magnifier work well with the aimpoints or eotechs? Do many/any run that setup?