Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon optic question

npolley

i just picked up a new toy and would like to possibly put some optics on it and possibly get into a multi gun match next year.

i have been on here looking at alot of posts about optics and im so confused i dont know where to start. the conclusion that i think ive come up with is that all i need is 1-4x optic for 3gun.

i came across the the Trijicon ACOG TA31DOC which has a dr optics mounted on the top for quick acquisition on close targets, the $$$ is the biggest draw back for me, but ive read not to skimp on optics. so is this type of setup on of the better ones out there or is there better options for me. or are there any better options for a combo like that at a better price. or a way to mount the multiple optics on my gun. pics would help

any help would be great and if anyone wants to post some pics of your 3 gun rifles that would be great.

thanks

The ACOG is an excellent optic but the problem is it's stuck at X4. Useing an additional

red dot would count as two optics and put you in Open division. You would be much

better off with something like a Burris 1x4 XTR, the one without the additional red dot

ontop...

I have used an ACOG for sometime but with back iron sights on the side for CQB...

Edited by P.Pres

The 2 optics will put you in Open. You'll be running against guys that have big comps on their rifles, as well as speedloaders or box mags for their shotguns, and comps and optics on their guns. If you don't have an open shotgun and pistol, you probably don't want to go that route.

As for the variable scope, if you do a search you'll probably find that the most popular ones are as follows. On the low end, Weaver V3 1x-3x and the Millett DMS-1 1x-4x, in the middle, Meopta K-Dot, and on the high end, Z6i, US Optics, S&B Short Dot, etc. I just put together an upper for 3-gun and I put the Millett on it. I've not shot a 3 gun match before, so I don't know if I like it (though I'm sure I probably will) and Owensboro only does 4 or 5 of them a year so I didn't think it was necessary to put a ton of money into it.

ETA: the ACOG that most 3 gunners use seems to be the TA11.

Edited by Revopop

Here is my current setup, 18" JP barrel on a Spike's Lower with JP trigger, magpul stock, Ergo grip, S&B Short Dot in Larue mount with one of Charlie Drissel's Cat Tails that I sell.

4056075435_3feb5e80df_o.jpg

ACOGs are great scopes, the best one for 3gun IMO is the TA11 as it has very generous eye relief.

If your club doesn't shoot anything too far, or for the open class guys, check out the Speed Dial mount in the Protocall Design vendor's tent.

I have a model for Docter and Burris Fastfire now, will soon have one for the Aimpoint Micro.

Neal, I asked Gary Stevens a couple months ago what I can expect at a 3 gun match, and he said the furthest distance they shoot was 100 yards, but they use smaller targets to simulate distance. I was seriously thinking about just going with a red dot, but I found a deal on the Millett in the classifieds. You may just want to keep an eye out and see what becomes available.

For 100 yards and in I prefer an Aimpoint M4 for a red dot as it has the smaller 2 moa reticle and better battery life than the EOtech. It's very fast up close as it is a true 1 power scope and does just fine out to 100 yards. Beyond that I think the 1-4 variable starts to look very good and I'm trying to decide on one myself right now. I have heard very good things about the Burris XTR 1-4 and a couple of my teammates are using them with good success. I like the Nightforce 1-4 as well but for more money, you don't get terribly bright daytime illumination.

what would be better for 100 and in red dot or 1-4x

Red dot...likely an eotech but you can buy a millet 1-4x for less and it is a good scope for the money

For a good all around 3 gun rifle....I'd stick to the true 1x-4 variables. For mid priced optics I always suggest the Meopta Kdot first,Trijicon TR24 second,and Burris XTR1-4 third. One of this optics will do anything you need for 3 gun and double duty for a great tac rifle too. True 1 power and daytime visible illuminated reticle are huge factors when I choose a scope for this game or tac use.

For a good all around 3 gun rifle....I'd stick to the true 1x-4 variables. For mid priced optics I always suggest the Meopta Kdot first,Trijicon TR24 second,and Burris XTR1-4 third. One of this optics will do anything you need for 3 gun and double duty for a great tac rifle too. True 1 power and daytime visible illuminated reticle are huge factors when I choose a scope for this game or tac use.

Good scopes but add the S&B short dot and the Swarovski Z6i as they are the best of the breed right now.

Pat

Good scopes but add the S&B short dot and the Swarovski Z6i as they are the best of the breed right now.

Pat

Agreed...S&B and Z6 would be best of the breed, but they're certainly not mid priced IMO.

on the tr21 I have shot the triangle and much prefer the crosshair with dot, be it euro #4 or mildot reticle. The dot is much smaller and makes for a more precise aiming point, the triangle is aprox. 4moa and it covers up too much of the target at 300 and beyond. this is my personal preference, others may vary.

As for Todd's price comparison I'm a bit cheaper:

<400.00= low priced (it will work)

400.00 - 800.00= mid price (good quality optic)

800.00 - 1500.00= high price (more than most need)

>1500.00 = expensive (truly not needed)

I probably don't know much about optics????? I tend to shoot 300.00 worth of iron sights. ;)

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

looking for a scope is a first for me, im just shocked at how expensive they are. i could get a few guns for the price of 1 great scope.

You are right but if you buy just decent optics (mid range price or above), they will still be working as well as the day they were new after you have shot out your rifle barrel 10x, cracked the bolt, retriggered the lower several times, etc. Buy an optic like it is hte last one you will ever buy becasue you will never regret it.

You are right but if you buy just decent optics (mid range price or above), they will still be working as well as the day they were new after you have shot out your rifle barrel 10x, cracked the bolt, retriggered the lower several times, etc. Buy an optic like it is hte last one you will ever buy becasue you will never regret it.

Agreed and to add, optical clarity and quality comes in and becomes paramount when your shooting , say, the stage in the shade, or when lighting is fading in and our due to clouds or at dusk! I read in here how at some matches the shadows or shade from clouds caused some to not see targets, well that CAN be mitigated with a good optic. I say can , not will.

Such crisp, bright, arsnic and lead free glass with excellent coatings and superior edge to edge clarity will prove itself instantly when such adverse conditions arise. MOST optics look good at 2 PM in the afternoon in bright day light, thats not when the higher cost stuff really shines, its in lower light or less then ideal conditions. My thoughts on the matter anyway.

Edited by cold

For a less expensive scope, look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25x4x24. It's a 30mm tube, w/ an illuminated dot in the middle of a duplex reticle. I picked one up from amazon.com a few months ago for about $320, but you'll have to have some patience to find it for that now.

I noticed you're in Henderson. I assume Providence and Owensboro is where you'll be shooting 3 gun. I've never been to Providence, but at Owensboro optics are definitely not needed. 100 yard max distance, and usually everything is under 50. But, the matches are good- Gary Welborn uses hard cover, no-shoots, and reduced targets to keep things interesting. If you have an iron sighted rifle, I'd recommend giving it a try before you dump a bunch of money into optics. At the October match, there were as many Limited shooters as Tac Optics.