Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection

My beagle finally got around to destroying my muffs so I'm looking for new hearing protection. I would like to switch to the inside the ear plugs with the microphones but I heard that there is a bone right behind the ear that is used for hearing that is not protected by the plugs but is protected by the muffs.

Basically - in terms of long term hearing protection - what are the pros and cons of plugs vs muffs?

I remain unconvinced about the dangers of sound being conducted by the bones in your head when wearing just earplugs.

Last summer I realized that I needed to be able to hear range commands while shooting, but I couldn't wear my electronic muffs while I was shooting long guns (my cheek weld breaks the seal on the right side). I tried a Walker's Game Ear® "Target Ear" and it works nicely, but it's susceptible to damage from sweat. Mr. Walker told me that have little neoprene covers you can get to protect the electronics from moisture, but I haven't acquired any yet.

If not for the moisture problem, I'd say the Walker products are a winner. You can wear two, but you only really need one (and a regular earplug in the other ear).

I always used to wear foam disposables before switching to moulded plugs with insert channels and ignored the possible damage from concusion passing through the small bone behind the ear. And then i started RO'ing and got serious headaches after 40*30 rds of 12 g a day. :( so now i use plugs only when shooting a stage and plugs and muffs all other times, reason well sometimes i remove the muffs as they cut out voices (except the little ones in my head) and they also get uncomfortable but i still want some protection from unexpected shots on the next range etc. i suggest you pay for the best moulded plugs you can get and leave them in at all times on the range. as for muffs . try wearing your existing set with plugs before shelling out £££ sorry $$$ on a new set

i cannot advise you on products in the US

james

Wear both. Highest dB protection available is 33 on plugs, 29 on muffs.

If you have good hearing to begin with, you will get used to hearing and speaking in conversation while wearing plugs. Just keep wearing them, you'll see.

Muffs stay mostly on my belt until I shoot, RO, or an Open shooter steps up to the line. But they're always within reach.

Just remember, if you experience ANY pain to your ears, you've just lost some fraction of your hearing, forever.

I just wear 'Lightening' muffs. They seem to do just fine, allowing me to hear range commands AND conversation, but muff' out the sharp, hardcore firing. Have lost at leat 25% hearing in both ears due to ear infections along the way, so any denser hearing protection would, in fact, be UN-safe... not allowing me to hear range voices or other movements around me that might be important. :)

I agree on the Lightening muffs (31 db, I think!). I hate the electronic kind because shooting a stage is precisely when I do not want to hear anything except the start signal and the rare, dreaded STOP.... Only exception is 50y shots, where it's convenient to hear the bullet impact on paper, too.

--Detlef

I use both because I usually shoot at an indoor range and when the open blasters get going, you want all the hearing protection you can get.

My muffs are electronic (Peltor tac-7) and I love them. One drawback is that you (I) can't hear what the sound of the shot is. I was recently shooting a match and had a squib round. My earmuffs shut off the sound so well and quickly that I couldn't tell that the round had actually had a primer fire without putting the bullet down the barrel. The slide didn't move and the natural assumption (note that word assumption) is "mis-fire", rack it and go. I was fortunate that the scorekeeper noted the different sound and yelled "Stop" before I pulled the trigger again. I do so seldom have a mis-fire that it catches me completely off guard and I just clear it and go. But if (when) it happens again, I will be looking for a bullet in the end of the round that I clear!!!!

FWIW

Dennis

For indoor pin shooting I wear both a set of custom molded plugs, and the Leightning muffs. Outdoors for steel shooting I just wear the plugs.

I forgot all about asking Santa for a set of electronic muffs, till I read this thread!

Thanks, you guys are the best!

Ray C.