Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga issue

THM7

When your equipment fails it really screws up a otherwise fine day. I thought I would share this "small problem" with other Saiga shooters to save someone from grief. Anyway I got my converted Saiga 12 with Russian Mag well running very, very, reliably over the past 3-4 months. However on the first Stage of our monthly match I had a failure to extract, next Stage I could not engage the safety after the shotgun portion (I just cleared the gun). Went to the safety area and ran the bolt a few times and everything was working again. On the last rifle/shotgun stage, after a few rounds the trigger would not reset. I could not even push the trigger forward manually. Back to the safety area I pulled the topcover and found a blown out primer cup lodged under the trigger hook...a small screwdriver was required to get it "unstuck". I thought blown out primers was more of a rifle issue but it happens with shotgun shells also. So if your Saiga starts doing weird stuff....pull the topcover off and take a look inside. Ammo was Win AA...

Back to the safety area I pulled the topcover and found a blown out primer cup lodged under the trigger hook...a small screwdriver was required to get it "unstuck". I thought blown out primers was more of a rifle issue but it happens with shotgun shells also. So if your Saiga starts doing weird stuff....pull the topcover off and take a look inside. Ammo was Win AA...

That happened to me on one shotgun national match also. It was big stage and primer got stuck somewhere on the triggergroup. I couldn't fire the weapon at all.

So I got zero points on that stage. :(

When your equipment fails it really screws up a otherwise fine day. I thought I would share this "small problem" with other Saiga shooters to save someone from grief. Anyway I got my converted Saiga 12 with Russian Mag well running very, very, reliably over the past 3-4 months. However on the first Stage of our monthly match I had a failure to extract, next Stage I could not engage the safety after the shotgun portion (I just cleared the gun). Went to the safety area and ran the bolt a few times and everything was working again. On the last rifle/shotgun stage, after a few rounds the trigger would not reset. I could not even push the trigger forward manually. Back to the safety area I pulled the topcover and found a blown out primer cup lodged under the trigger hook...a small screwdriver was required to get it "unstuck". I thought blown out primers was more of a rifle issue but it happens with shotgun shells also. So if your Saiga starts doing weird stuff....pull the topcover off and take a look inside. Ammo was Win AA...

Never had that "mess" happen with my Benelli. The more things change...the more they remain the same.....dependability issues with a SAIGA....imagine that?

Never had that "mess" happen with my Benelli. The more things change...the more they remain the same.....dependability issues with a SAIGA....imagine that?

:rolleyes: Errm, more like an AMMO issue. At the same match I saw a different shooter have to deal with the entire rim getting ripped off a round of factory Winchester AA (gun was a Winchester SX2 Practical IIRC). For such a high-quality shotshell, I was really surprised to see two different ammo-related problems in the same day... maybe Winchester's quality department needs a kick in the posterior ?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Perhaps you could elaborate on how this is a Saiga issue...

Exactely....that's my point.....no issues with a Benelli!!!

Perhaps you could elaborate on how this is a Saiga issue...

Exactely....that's my point.....no issues with a Benelli!!!

It was an ammo issue. It could happen in any shotgun. ANY SHOTGUN.

Well I suppose it could happen to a Benelli.....I have one of those too. But the space for the primer cup to get thru is pretty small compared to the Saiga. Hell if it gets blown out in the Saiga it has a pretty good chance getting into the trigger...with the Benelli not so much. Really the bottom line is I should have taken a look inside the gun after things "were not right". Lesson learned.

:rolleyes: Errm, more like an AMMO issue. At the same match I saw a different shooter have to deal with the entire rim getting ripped off a round of factory Winchester AA (gun was a Winchester SX2 Practical IIRC). For such a high-quality shotshell, I was really surprised to see two different ammo-related problems in the same day... maybe Winchester's quality department needs a kick in the posterior ?

I've been seeing those same shells with lots of loose plastic coming off the front seal. No primer blow outs though.