Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can anyone explain this ejection malfunction?

Tactical Timmy

If that is a 9 Major gun with a standard C-More mount, ejection issues may be a recurring theme.... Find a smith that understands the nuances of 9 Major and have them figure the timing/ejector/extractor voodoo to make it run reliably.

Had similar jams with my 38 Supercomp gun. If you look and don't see a ton of impact marks on the underside of the scope mount then this could be it. Pull the slide off the gun and push a round onto the breach face getting it under the extractor. Check for tension and make sure the round can't slip from under it side to side or top to bottom (within reason). What mine would do is I was using brass that the extractor wasn't tuned for leading to little/no tension. The ejector would hit the round causing it to spin 180 and get caught when the gun went back into battery. Worth a look but will most likely require a smith to fix either way :)

Either the brass is bouncing back in, or it's not getting out of there in the first place.

The "next round" in the mag, often helps with the whole process. If it's not getting up and into place...why not?

Maybe it is getting held up in the mags and slowed. Could the grip cause this...yes. Could be mag catch height, out of square, thin, etc. The breech face, extractor...they could be impeding the movement of the next round up the breech face.

My gut says to think about the slide stroke.

I believe that a lot of shooters set a gun up for what "feels" good to them (or others). So, they go with that over other aspects.

Shock buff? Spring weight? Recoil Master? Are any of those constants from gun to gun?

It is real easy for a high speed/tension shooter to get on the gun in a manner that impedes the stroke of the slide...and not ever realize it. (and everybody thinks, "that's not me", right?)

The shooter can certainly shorten the slide stroke.

If you think it might be the optic...take the optic off and shoot.

If you think it might be the mount...take the mount off and shoot.

If you think it might be the grip...change grips.

I know I had to do some "extra" tuning to my ejector after it came back from the gunsmith. (converted from 38sup to 9mm) he even told me it would probably need it, told me how, and said it must be shot and have someone watch the brass. something to do with the short cases compared to 38... it did have a problem with the brass sometimes bouncing back into the ejection port, but no more, runs fine!

and its my belief that 9mm open is just "strange" enough to most gunsmiths that they can't use all of their 38 sup tricks when building or working on a gun.

maybe a video camera on a tripod focused in on the ejector port will help to see what the brass is doing??? (slomo is your friend!)

jj

Try an EW or Brazos LONG ejector and an Aftec. What is probably happening is the next round is pushing up the fired case on the breachface causing inconsistent contact with the ejector. The longer ejector starts the cycle earlier before than next round can interfere.

I recently started having some issues with my new gun. When this jam happened this afternoon i was using tuned mags, go/no go gauged ammo, and this is what happened.

You didn't mention any specifics re: your ammo -

in a mag without spacers, they should be 1.175 "

or even a bit longer. That's with MG115 gr JHP.

From the photo, it looks like you're using FMJ's?

If they are too short, they can

jam on you, even in a tuned mag.

I went thru this problem for almost a year, and

everyone gave me all the suggestions that I see

as responses here (and they're all possible), but

on my STI TruBor 9mm major, The Problem was

one single mag that caused all the jams - haven't

had one since I stopped using that one mag.

If you think it might be the optic...take the optic off and shoot.

If you think it might be the mount...take the mount off and shoot.

If you think it might be the grip...change grips.

+1

And make sure you shoot it with all your mags when shooting without the optic/mount, just to make sure you've gone through all .. well, most of the variables. Watch for differences in how the empties are ejected with different mags. Mine worked like a dream when I yanked off the C-more, adjusted the nose of the ejector (with help from this very forum, of course) and that was it. (Mind you, mine's a 38 SC ..)

Siphon

• 1 month later...

Well after alot of testing we think we fixed the problem. First thing that was causing the extraction issue was that the extractor was slightly curved upwards and was hitting the barrel knocking the empty case loose.

Secondly I replaced the ejector with a tuned Brazos ejector. With those two things changed eveything seems to be better. So far I have shot 4 matches and put a couple thousand through it and 0 jams. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Mags are pretty often reason for that kind of malfunction. Exactly that will sometimes happen, if your mag lifts top round in wrong angle - base of extracting brass will hit top round somewhere too hard and become loose from extractor + reducing slide speed, empty brass will spin and remain so long inside it does not get away before slide goes back forward. Worst thing is, if you do not have spacers in mags + short ejector.

Have seen that happen on high-speed camera shoot ;)

Long ejector will usually help, but not always. Take some video with high-speed camera if you are able to do that. To prevent malfunctions in the future :)

Even if your mags are properly tuned as new, when you drop them several times freely from your gun there is a big possibility they are not properly tuned anymore...

Just one thing, bad timing may cause just the same by reducing slide speed etc. Flexmoney had good points there earlier.