Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Pusher for M&P Pro

Tokarev

The factory fiber optic front sight on my Pro is slightly off to the right. As a result, my pistol shoots about 4" left at 25 yards.

I tried my worthless B&J Machine "universal" sight tool and all that did was damage the front sight.

So, know that I've damaged the sight, I'm off to find something that'll actually work. What do you all suggest I buy? Does the MGW tool for the M&P fit all slide calibers, lengths, etc?

Thanks!

The factory fiber optic front sight on my Pro is slightly off to the right. As a result, my pistol shoots about 4" left at 25 yards.

I tried my worthless B&J Machine "universal" sight tool and all that did was damage the front sight.

So, know that I've damaged the sight, I'm off to find something that'll actually work. What do you all suggest I buy? Does the MGW tool for the M&P fit all slide calibers, lengths, etc?

Thanks!

Here's a link to a thread I started on this a while back. My Pro's front sight was off as well, but maybe not 4". In the end I had to cut the front sight out and after fitting, used my universal sight tool to seat the new one.

The MGW (have that as well) works fine for the rear, doesn't work at all for the Pro/L front sight and only pushes on the sight blade of the standard M&P so save yourself a bunch of cash.

I froze the slide, used penetrating oil etc, etc....huge hammer, punch shaped to fit the side of the sight blade perfectly, strong, reasonably heavy vice to mount it in and it still never budged.

Make your life easy, cut it out, put a Dawson replacement in, but take the time to fit it or you'll beat the heck out of that one as well (they're significantly oversized.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=947148

Did you try dripping acetone into the dovetail ? this usually disolves adhesive compounds, Heat on the sight will loosen loctight.

Joe, I'm not sure about the OP's gun, but mine was simply an incredibly tight fit. If you have a large punch and a heavy, heavy hammer and hit it repeatedly while mounted in a good vice without it moving it can't be an adhesive holding it :-) Smith uses a large press to install the sights...and I'm sure the fixture the slide sits on offers perfect support so they can use a lot of pressure. The good thing is they never come loose. The bad thing is many are impossible/next to impossible to adjust or remove.

You probably know this already, but the sights go on right to left (and off left to right). On my first removal, I made the mistake of trying to pound it in the wrong direction and they wouldn't come off. Went the other way and, while it still took effort, I finally got them off.

A more time consuming but less expensive option is to call S&W up and have them fix it. A quick call and they will send you a free shipping label to send it in. I had them do this on one of my FS M&P9s, and it was back to me perfectly centered in less than 10 days. Best part was that it didn't cost me a dime.

Just a thought

-Trip

A more time consuming but less expensive option is to call S&W up and have them fix it. A quick call and they will send you a free shipping label to send it in. I had them do this on one of my FS M&P9s, and it was back to me perfectly centered in less than 10 days. Best part was that it didn't cost me a dime.

Just a thought

-Trip

Normally I'd be all for this but I recently received the pistol back from S&W. I sent the pistol in for some light primer strikes and extraction problems. Also noted was a tendency for the front sight to eat fiber optic rods. In addition to replacing the barrel, Smith installed a new front sight. The front sight that originally came with the gun was centered. Whoever replaced it didn't get it back where it needed to be.

• 10 months later...

Does the MGW tool for the M&P fit all slide calibers, lengths, etc?

Thanks!

The MGW (have that as well) works fine for the rear, doesn't work at all for the Pro/L front sight and only pushes on the sight blade of the standard M&P so save yourself a bunch of cash.

The MGW indexes off the back of the guide rod shroud and therfore the Pro & 9L slide will not fit deep enough for the sight adjuster to fit over the front sight. I have attached pictures.

post-3253-080499700 1283386841_thumb.gif

post-3253-075370300 1283386858_thumb.gif

post-3253-069107600 1283386874_thumb.gif

Did you try dripping acetone into the dovetail ? this usually disolves adhesive compounds, Heat on the sight will loosen loctight.

Joe, I'm not sure about the OP's gun, but mine was simply an incredibly tight fit. If you have a large punch and a heavy, heavy hammer and hit it repeatedly while mounted in a good vice without it moving it can't be an adhesive holding it :-) Smith uses a large press to install the sights...and I'm sure the fixture the slide sits on offers perfect support so they can use a lot of pressure. The good thing is they never come loose. The bad thing is many are impossible/next to impossible to adjust or remove.

Actually, they do come loose, we had a couple almost lose the front sight in the first 100 rounds. They had to go back because they were so loose in the cut, the owner could not re-install them. I have also seen pics of the front sight installed backwards on the M&P web site.

This is one feature I wished they had copied from Glock as I have yet to lose a front sight on any of those with a little blue (not red) Loctite on the threads.

Edited by tobin

Actually, they do come loose, we had a couple almost lose the front sight in the first 100 rounds. They had to go back because they were so loose in the cut, the owner could not re-install them. I have also seen pics of the front sight installed backwards on the M&P web site.

This is one feature I wished they had copied from Glock as I have yet to lose a front sight on any of those with a little blue (not red) Loctite on the threads.

Pro/9L or fullsize/compact models came loose? The long slide guns have a reputation for being much tighter, for some reason, and lots of folks have had to cut theirs out. That could be because it's an entirely different front sight, in the same dovetail.

I'm thrilled they didn't copy Glock on the front sight! :cheers:

When I took one of my 9 Pros to the range for the first time my first couple of shots went left, then right, then left again. I couldn't figure it out until about the 3rd magazine when the front sight fell out completely. It turned out that the front sight was too small for the cut in the slide. Luckily I had another to put in and it has stayed put, so it wasn't the slide (for me), it was the front sight.

Pro/9L or fullsize/compact models came loose? The long slide guns have a reputation for being much tighter, for some reason, and lots of folks have had to cut theirs out. That could be because it's an entirely different front sight, in the same dovetail.

I am also thrilled they didn't copy glock on this one. I replaced my front sight which was tight as hell and took some serious force to get off. I replaced it with a HI-VIZ FO front sight which was way oversized and even with some serious fitting still was a pain in the ass to get on. It makes it hard not to ding or damage a sight with a brass drift so some things are best fitted for a gunsmith. The hi-viz has such a little area to connect with to get on. I did find that freezing the slide and heating the sight up a little did help.

Interesting.

I just started developing loads for my new 9pro and noticed I was hitting a little left as well. Good tight group, just a little left. I figured it's because I've grown so accustomed to my SVI I wasn't putting enough finger on the trigger. I felt I corrected it a little with putting more finger on the trigger like I have to shoot my Glocks, but still hitting more left than I wanted.

I'll have to double check my sights and adjust them next time out. :cheers:

Both were Pro's that fell off, go figure.

The trick I've always used was to use an aluminum punch with duct tape.

I agree! My MGW tool has done numerous M&P full size and compacts without problems but I cut some aluminum bar stock the width of the front sight channel on my Pro. Tape up bar stock and slide, secure slide in padded vise and punch out. Fit new sight (Warren Fiber Optic) and punch in.