Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H110 and Dillon measure

I was googling for info the other day on .30 carbine reloading and came across a post that kind of scared me. The poster claimed that H110 was too fine a powder for the Dillon powder measure system and that it would act like sand and basically bind up the powder bar.

I haven't started loading carbine yet (haven't found a deal I've been happy with on the bullets) but have a new 8lb jug of H110 waiting for when I find bullets. In a reasonably new & current RL550B, am I likely to have trouble dispensing H110?

I loaded a couple hundred .357 mag hunting loads on my 650 and didn't notice a problem. Chrono'd good with acceptable SD. I would notice a problem. I'm really picky on these short special runs of ammo. Mostly because it's foreign territory for me.

In my experience it depends on the dimensions of the cast parts in your measures. I have one measure that had a slide that was a tad short top to bottom. That particular measure had major problems dispensing Silhouette which is pretty fine. The powder grains got caught between the slide and the body of the measure. Replaced the slide with another and that issue went away.

I loaded thousands of rounds with H-110 and did not have any major problems. I would make sure that you use the "fail safe" bar to insure that you are getting a full stroke and clean the powder bar whenever you feel it getting sticky. I used the large charge bar and feel that it eliminates some of the issues with H-110.

I loaded thousands of rounds with H-110 and did not have any major problems. I would make sure that you use the "fail safe" bar to insure that you are getting a full stroke and clean the powder bar whenever you feel it getting sticky. I used the large charge bar and feel that it eliminates some of the issues with H-110.

Makes sense - good stuff - give it a whirl. I'd gotten rid of my carbines by the time I got my first Dillon, so I don't have any experience with h110/Dillon. But H110 a great powder for carbine, I'd use it if it will work in the Dillon for sure.

be

Last time I went to load some 44's on my SDB I had a binding problem with the powder bar using H110. I tried to give it a quick wipe down to clean it but the problem persisted. I never had a problem before and it had been a while since I did any reloading on the SDB so I thought I was just having a brain fart and doing something wrong so I gave up and charged them with my Uniflow Powder Measure before continuing. I haven't loaded 44's since or tried to fix the problem yet so I can't really help but from my experience I guess it can be a problem. From reading the other reply's I may just have to try cleaning it better.

-Steve

• 4 years later...

One of the Dillon tech's said it will tend to gum up the Powder Measure. You'd probably have to take it apart / clean about every 200 rounds. It's just too fine.

be

I realize this is an old post, but this is an old problem that Dillon has apparently not yet solved.

Mine gums up after only about five rounds. The clearance between the large powder bar and the measure body is about .007, which is apparently enough to let the fine grains of H110/WW296 escape and get jammed in between.

My measures are both new models (purchased within the last year, and the original one and the RL550B press were purchased through this site), and I do have the fail safe on it. I have hooked up an extra spring on it, but the real problem is that the clearance is too big. I have emailed Dillon but that was only yesterday and it usually takes a while for them to respond.

I think I got measures that are toward the large side of the tolerance spread and powder bars that are toward the small side of the tolerance spread. If Dillon can come up with a smaller measure and larger bar, I bet it will work fine.

Edited by michaelnel

One of the Dillon tech's said it will tend to gum up the Powder Measure. You'd probably have to take it apart / clean about every 200 rounds. It's just too fine.

be

I realize this is an old post, but this is an old problem that Dillon has apparently not yet solved.

Mine gums up after only about five rounds. The clearance between the large powder bar and the measure body is about .007, which is apparently enough to let the fine grains of H110/WW296 escape and get jammed in between.

My measures are both new models (purchased within the last year, and the original one and the RL550B press were purchased through this site), and I do have the fail safe on it. I have hooked up an extra spring on it, but the real problem is that the clearance is too big. I have emailed Dillon but that was only yesterday and it usually takes a while for them to respond.

I think I got measures that are toward the large side of the tolerance spread and powder bars that are toward the small side of the tolerance spread. If Dillon can come up with a smaller measure and larger bar, I bet it will work fine.

I haven't had any issues with H110 in my small powder bar but I can see why someone might, that powder is fine. Try putting a piece of packing tape or masking tape on the bottom side of the bar to increase the thickness of the bar.

I've experienced the same problems as listed above. First let me say I love my Dillon 550B but the powder measure does not come close to living up to Dillons use of the word precision. The powder bars have way to much slope in them and in my opinion this is just not acceptable at all. On one of them I glued in a .005 thick shim to improve the above problem. I did call Dillon and they did send my out a new bar and it was thicker but still let H110 get bound up in the slide not to mention leaking all over the press. I REALLY REALLY wish Dilion would improve this so we don't have to play the "find the right bar game" by trial and error.

Anyways, if you get a shim set, mine was plastic, cut a piece to fit the powder bar and jb weld it on. If you use the right size shim you can close up the gap and it will work much better. I also tried using an RCBS powder measure with the Hornady linkage set and that works really well too but is a little more work to set up the linkage.

Again, Dillon, I hope your listening and will rise to the challange to actually fix this problem because it is real. There are many fine powders and many people using them, now make a measure that works with them.

I eventually did load several hundred rounds of .30 carbine with H110. I can't remember now which powder bar I used for 14gr...but I don't remember having any trouble with the powder system binding. I need to load some more soon as I've nearly used up what I loaded.

With WW296 I am using 24 grains for .44 magnum. That means I have to use the large powder bar, as the small one will only throw a max of about 21 grains. I have considered the shimming idea, but that seems it would work OK on the two piece small bar with the spacer, but a shim for the large bar would have to be hard enough to withstand the constant sliding back and forth, where on the small bar you could shim the stationary spacer on top and not be subject to that.

It's silly that the premium progressive press manufacturer has let this problem go on year after year. I have posted about it on the DIllon forum, as have others, and nobody seems to have a viable solution. Dillon has yet to respond to my emails posted through their web form and through regular email.

I shouldn't have to go get another mfg's powder measure to fix this. All Dillon has to do is tighten up their manufacturing tolerances and the problem will be fixed.

The people that don't have this problem got lucky and got a powder bar that fits tighter. I agree just tighten up the tolerances and problem solved, with today's manufacuturing processes this should be no big deal. I guess all we can do is keep complaing about it online until they listen.

They have known about this for about 10 years based on my googling. They aren't gonna fix it. They may help individuals who encounter problems, but Dillon seems to have a tendency to rest on their laurels. As long as the stuff keeps selling, they don't seem very interested in fixing problems with the design. Witness this issue, the sloppy toolhead fit, the 1/4/20 bolt to adjust the measure, the snapping shellholder issue, etc...

As long as we keep buying the stuff they have no incentive to put any money into refining the design.

They have known about this for about 10 years based on my googling. They aren't gonna fix it. They may help individuals who encounter problems, but Dillon seems to have a tendency to rest on their laurels. As long as the stuff keeps selling, they don't seem very interested in fixing problems with the design. Witness this issue, the sloppy toolhead fit, the 1/4/20 bolt to adjust the measure, the snapping shellholder issue, etc...

As long as we keep buying the stuff they have no incentive to put any money into refining the design.

That's not necessarily true. If you keep bugging their support people about it (ask for a replacement powder bar...ask them to hand select a "fat one"), they might eventually decide to do something about it to lower support costs.

I've loaded close to two pounds of W296 on mine and it does work, it just leaks powder.

Dillon said

"W296/H110/AA9 have always had this problem to a greater or lesser degree. The dimensions for the granule size of these powders overlap our dimensional tolerance. If you would prefer, you can send us your current powder measure with large powder bar. We can see if we can find either a taller bar or a tighter housing. Please send us your address."

I've loaded close to two pounds of W296 on mine and it does work, it just leaks powder.

Dillon said

"W296/H110/AA9 have always had this problem to a greater or lesser degree. The dimensions for the granule size of these powders overlap our dimensional tolerance. If you would prefer, you can send us your current powder measure with large powder bar. We can see if we can find either a taller bar or a tighter housing. Please send us your address."

Agreed, H110 (and W296) are very fine powders as is AA#9 (and AA#7, AA#5, AA#2), so different than say an extruded powder like Varget, IMR 8208 XBR or Vihtavuori N320. Varget is simply too big compared to 8208 XBR or N320 that meter well for me.

Loaded about 500 rounds of 300 BLK with H110 and no problems. Stuff is kind of pain to work with though. It's so fine it clings to everything.

Yep, the stuff is fine and does cling even if you employ anti-static measures. I loaded 50 rounds of 300BLK last night with H110, it will cling to the powder funnel and neck of the case even.