Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Adjustable Gas System

STIGUY

I have a "put together) .223 Upper that includes a VLTOR rifle lenght forend on a 16" barrel with a Cooley Comp, low mass bolt and Enidine shock absorbing buffer. The gun still seems to recoil more than I would like. Will replacing the hidden (under the forend) low profile gas block with an Adjustable Gas Block make a substantial difference. The only reason I haven't tried it is that it will be somewhat of a PITA (given the setup) and it will also be sunsequently hard to adjust....I believe. Your thoughts are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Technically there will be a difference but when I added a JP adjustable gas block to my M&P15R I couldn't tell the difference because I am not that skilled of a shooter. Once I added the JP comp I could tell the system was working at reducing muzzle lift and felt recoil. If you add the lightened bolt and reduce the mass of your buffer like I have in my Firebird Precision upper and DPMS lower you get a real winner. Its almost uneventful to pull the trigger except for the roar of the comp. :lol:

You will only need to adjust the gas block once. Shoot the gun with no handguard, turn the gas block down until the gun won't cycle, turn it back 1 turn, put handguard back on.

Edited by jtischauser

I've bought into that adjustable gas block thing 3 times and the lock tite coolaid twice and it bit me every time. Put a wide open gas block on it with Benny Hills comp and shoot the damn gun. The real answer is a 18 or 20 inch barrel with a rifle length gas tube, a wide open gas block with a SS JP carrier and lite buffer and Benny Hills comp and shoot the damn gun. A real soft shooting single shot rifle aint worth 6 eggs.--------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

First of all it's a 16", I take it it's a carbine lenth gas system ? If it is, put a pigtail gas

tube on it (longer). How light weight is your carrier ? Which one ? And the Enidine does

not reduce felt recoil at all, it is more of a rate reducer for full auto's, I hear it works

really well for that. I tried one one and put it right back in the box !!

Here's the prescribtion : pigtail gastube/ "Firebird Precision" adjustable gasblock/ JP SS carrier/ and JP lightened buffer !!

The adjustable gasblocks work just fine when adjusted and tested properly.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1591/Pr...IGTAIL_GAS_TUBE

Edited by P.Pres

I guess I am looking for less felt recoil. It has a rifle length Enidine (or JP lighten buffer) due to the stock I am using....kind of a heavier weight ACE Socom Long (Short was too short fully exended). So are ya'll saying that the alumium buffer from JP will be better than the Enidine. What can I change to lighten the felt recoil and quicken recovery time. It just does not feel like I think it should feel with respect to recoil with shot to shot recovery.

THANKS

What can I change to lighten the felt recoil and quicken recovery time. It just does not feel like I think it should feel with respect to recoil with shot to shot recovery.

THANKS

18"-20" rifle gas bbl.

As far as a adj. screws falling out, in addition to locktite its also wise to stake the screw hole slightly (after the screw is in of course) I have not had one ever fail me like that.

The enidine is a bit heavy. So, a trick solution is to install a short enidine so that is doesn't move, eg. to the back of the rifle buffer tube, then modify a buffer so that the total lenght of those two is as long as a complete rifle buffer. :cheers:

And when adjusting the gas system, shoot as steeply down as you can, with a loose hold on the rifle. You will encounter something like that in a match some day, and then wonder why the rifle won't cycle. It's a big difference in the amount of gas needed for cycling the bolt carrier up, vs. shooting prone and holding the gun tight, and cycling straight back.

Edited by askomiko