Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Picky Is An Svi About Ammo?

PistolPete

The reason I ask this is because I ordered an SVI limited gun and called them last week to find out my gun will be ready within the next few weeks. I have all my components set-up and I've been trying out some different .40 S&W loads to find one that will work well. I've been testing them in some of my other .40 pistols. (Sig P226, SW99, Baretta) I was thinking of loading about 500 rounds so when my gun arrives I can test it out. Is this a bad idea? Should I just load about 100 to see how they work? I was thinking if they didn't work in the SV I could just use them in my other guns. How ammo sensitive are the SV's? I know with the match barrels the ammo needs to chamber correctly. I'm also currently using a lee FCD with a Dillon 650 and Dillon dies.

Thanks in advance,

pete :ph34r:

Well my 6" ran right out of the box (I couldn't say the same for my Edge though) The only thing I really do is case gage every round I shoot, I know that's not absolutely necessary, but the quality of your reloads is something that is so easily screwed up. Load about 500 rounds and give your new blaster a good workout when it arrives, anything major will show up very quickly. Load up your regular match ammo and you should be fine. I typically load to about 1.190 or 1.200 for reliablity purposes, but I have heard of folks loading to factory length and having no problems as well. My 2cents though, load it out to about 1.190.

S_I guns can be a tad bit picky about the OAL of the round. As I have been told, the design geometries are for a .45 which has OAL of 1.2

Some gunsmiths tune the ramp and chamber for a longer round. Others make it so the factory OAL length works just fine.

Mine is very picky. Factory ammo does not work as reliably stuff with a OAL of 1.19. My friends works well with factory. It all depends on who did the final work.

You might call SV and ask them.

BTW

VV 320, 5.1, 180 JHP => PF of 178

This was at 5,000 and <2,000 elevation in November. Temperature as <80 degrees.

My factory SV runs with 40's loaded at 1.187" OAL. I'd say load some up at 1.180 (e.g. 180 gr Star JHP, 4.6gr Titegroup, WSP, 1.187", ~168pf) and see what happens. Other than load OAL, the other thing that is essential is magazine feed lip dimensions.

The case gauge thing is kinda weird. My Schuemann (sp?) Ultimatch barrel has a tight chamber. If I'm careful and use only brass that came from my gun, I have no problems. It does not like Glock fired brass. Just beware of the source of your brass, thats all.

Pete- I tried using factory ammo for the first two months that I had my SV. It worked ok, but I was plagued with jams against the feed ramp. I got my press out and started loading up .40's at 1.20" and have never had a round jam against the feed ramp again. The cure for the glock brass is to buy an undersised resizing die from EGW. Brass that has been resized by that die and shot in my SV, still drops into a Dillon case gauge after it has been fired. Buy the die before your SV arrives and load up 500 rounds to 1.20" and you shouldn't have any problems. If magazine problems occur, send them to Grams Engineering and get them tuned. There is also enough information about mag tuning under FAQ's to do the work yourself. Good luck!

Pete,

The SVI/Schuemann chamber is usually tighter than what many other manufacturers use in their guns. They cut the chambers to minimum dimensions and often hard coat the chambers which discourages reaming of the chambers to larger sizes (not that you would want to).

Factory ammo, or ammo loaded from new components, usually works perfect, as do cases previously fired in that gun. The problems usually arise when someone owns serveral guns in the same caliber and attempts to use "community brass" or "range pickup brass" in the SV. It is very likely that the brass has been expanded (by the larger chambers) to where you will not get consistent chambering in the SV. Depending on your reloader/dies, you probably do not resize the case all the way to the extraction groove and that can become a problem. Roll sizing can correct this, although I am not a fan of the process.

Leo

Pete-Here is the information from EGW's website.

EGW Sizing Dies

Available in:9x19,.38 Super,&.40 S&W

$22.00

Extra Decapping Pins - $2.00

EGW offers custom made, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures from cases bulged near the base as is typical of brass fired in Glock and other loose chambered guns.

http://www.egw-guns.com

Pete,

I'd say forget about the ammo and shoot it!

My SVI (.40" caliber) has shot all possible reloaded ammo, ranging from minor to major PF, from standard .40" lenght (reloads made for a - horrible to say - :PGlock) up to 1.220".

All training reloads never went through a LEE FCD, because I reload on a Lee Pro-1000 (only three stations).

I can guarantee you that in about 30'000 rounds shot I had only 5/6 malfunctions, which were mostly due to experimentation (Limp-wristing with a light recoil spring), with a couple of occasional badly bottom-bellied cases that I didn't bother to gauge (yes, glock fired... :D ).

I wouldn't be too concerned about that; instead I'd load a small batch (I mean 10/20 bullets) of your preferred load and chrono them, just to be sure that it runs in the intended pressure/velocity range.

My .02c

Why? Because when you shoot a match, you don't get your brass back (in Area 8 anyway) & 1000 would last you less than 2 months. If you shoot 2 of the 300+ round Sectionals or Area matches, then your 1000 new cases are gone. Around here we don't pick up brass at a match; takes too long & holds everybody up.

If you are afraid of the EGW solution (which you should not be) then an alternative to new would be the cleaned, roll-sized, once fired brass that Dillon (and probably others) sell, but its not exactly cheap. Just buy the EGW die & a can of OneShot like everybody else does. Regards & congrats on the new gun purchase.

Well I decided to load up some .40 ammo to an OAL of 1.20 and try it in my Sig P226. So I loaded it all up and tried cycling it thru the gun. Well, because the round is that much longer than usual it won't even fit in the mag. Looks like if I want to try it out I will only be able to put 1 round per mag. Talk about low-cap mags.

I tried fitting them in the SV mags and they were fine.

Thanks for the tip. My SVI Limited gun was shipped out last week. Only problem is that they sent it out UPS Ground so I won't see it until Dec. 1st. I wanted to make sure my ammo would work in the gun but looks like I'll just load several hundred and hope that it works. Every including Matt Burkett specified to load to 1.20 OAL and I wouldn't have a problem. My initial few hundred rounds I'm not concerned if they make major or not so as long as they work accurately I'll be more than happy.

Pete

• 3 months later...
Even if you do get it to fit in the chamber, the bullet may be contacting the rifling.

I must be really off on this but somehow I've gotten the impression that in order for a gun to be really accurate, the bullet should just barely touch the rifling. Am I way off here?

yes, its better if it touches the rifling in RIFLES, prefferably bolt actions so that you can ease the bolt close slowly so not to decrease the over all length. In pistols, it should jump a little to the rifling since you dont want your rounds go smaller and smaller on every chambered round that you did not shoot.

some will make the round very long until it hits the rifling and then shorten it a tad. I just load to 1.210-1.212 and have not experienced any problems or pressure signs for my 40 svi. major loads, though i could go longer, i dont bother. Why fix it if its not broke? Its accurate as hell and i only use it for ipsc.

Guest Larry Cazes

From my experience shooting benchrest with very strong bolt actions, there is at least one set of optimum conditions for any given rifle that will maximize it's accuracy with a given bullet and load. This does not neccessarily occur with the bullet touching the rifling but in SOME cases it does. For IPSC shooting with semi-auto pistols, I never like to have the bullet touching the rifling since this could cause chamber pressures to increase in a much less controlled environment then a Benchrest rifle.

I'm with Skywalker,

My SVI in .40 Caliber shoots also every possible reloaded and factory ammo without any problems.

No feeding problems, no stuck cases, no nothings.... right from the first shot up to now.

Never ever encountered any problems. Also my other two SVI's in .38Super function on any ammo.

All three of my guns are fitted with Schuemann Bull Barrels, out of the box quality.

As Skywalker says: ;) SHOOT IT! B)

DVC, Henny.