Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie With Questions

BN91205

Hello Everyone,

I've been on this forum all weekend long trying to get as much information as possible to start in 3-gun. I'm putting together an order for all the parts to build on one of my lowers and would like to know what barrel length folks are using in the Tactical division 16-20".

I have two stripped lower receivers and would like to have one of them built up for 3-gun by the end of this year.

Thanks for helping out a new guy everyone, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Brian

Hello Everyone,

I've been on this forum all weekend long trying to get as much information as possible to start in 3-gun. I'm putting together an order for all the parts to build on one of my lowers and would like to know what barrel length folks are using in the Tactical division 16-20".

I have two stripped lower receivers and would like to have one of them built up for 3-gun by the end of this year.

Thanks for helping out a new guy everyone, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Brian

I think the most popular choice is an 18" length barrel with rifle length gas system. (that is what I use)

Good luck with your build.

Rember there is regional bias since it is harder to find venues offering targets out past 300 yards east of the Mississippi. Since you are from California you will likely find that the 18 or 20 inch guns are more popular there because they are more useful there whereas east of the Mississippi most everyone uses a 16.

As to building a lower, find the stock you like by looking at other people's set ups. The big item in a lower is going to be the trigger and you are going to get a ton of advice there. I like the Gold Trigger since it is drop in, bullet proof, and it leads the pack in reset.

I would suggest a White Oak Arm. Varmit upper. I did an upgrade to a SPR barrel and then had a Benny Cooley comp fitted and blended to the barrel, with a Rifle length gas system, forward assist, dust cover and a low profile gas block. All said and done for around $800. That is a very good place to start for 3 gun.

if you are going to shoot a scope, having an 18" or 20" is not a big deal, if you are going to shoot irons then 20" is definitely better for the sight radius. do not go with a 16", the 18" is a much better choice over the 16". Do not go with a full heavy barrel, a medium weight to light weight barrel is easier to manipulate and will not heat up and cause you problems despite what some may say. All my AR barrels are .750ish diameter from just forward of the chamber area to the comp, even my 308 barrel.

Buy your parts from DPMS, or LaRue, or JP. they all make top quality parts and the SUPPORT our sport.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Rember there is regional bias since it is harder to find venues offering targets out past 300 yards east of the Mississippi. Since you are from California you will likely find that the 18 or 20 inch guns are more popular there because they are more useful there whereas east of the Mississippi most everyone uses a 16.

As to building a lower, find the stock you like by looking at other people's set ups. The big item in a lower is going to be the trigger and you are going to get a ton of advice there. I like the Gold Trigger since it is drop in, bullet proof, and it leads the pack in reset.

Excellent point! Never thought of all this - THANKS A BUNCH!!

if you are going to shoot a scope, having an 18" or 20" is not a big deal, if you are going to shoot irons then 20" is definitely better for the sight radius. do not go with a 16", the 18" is a much better choice over the 16". Do not go with a full heavy barrel, a medium weight to light weight barrel is easier to manipulate and will not heat up and cause you problems despite what some may say. All my AR barrels are .750ish diameter from just forward of the chamber area to the comp, even my 308 barrel.

Buy your parts from DPMS, or LaRue, or JP. they all make top quality parts and the SUPPORT our sport.

Trapr

I had decided that I'm going to buy the upper assembly from JP. From everything that I've read, they are definitely worth the wait and I spoke to a gentleman there this morning and he was extremely helpful.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it!

The JP Upper is a great choice - you will never regret that!

As mentioned above - make sure you put a GOOD trigger in that lower. JP is a great choice there as well.

A friend sent his to JP for a trigger earlier this year, and they turned it around really quick.

Good luck -- and welcome to 3-gunning!

It's irrelevant. Too many good shooters do well with 16,17, 18, and/or 20 inch barrels. Having a good zero and practicing is FAR more important.
It's irrelevant. Too many good shooters do well with 16,17, 18, and/or 20 inch barrels. Having a good zero and practicing is FAR more important.

And while you are exactly correct the perception is other wise which becomes the reality.

Great advice guys and thank you very much. I ordered an Upper Assembly this morning (went with DPMS because I can't afford the JP). Once received, I'm gonna practice and shoot the heck out of it and be done with it already. I'm sure all the frills, etc. will come down the road later but as we speak I have to learn to shoot a rifle first, which by the way I have little if any experience in.

Thanks again!

And while you are exactly correct the perception is other wise which becomes the reality.

Great advice guys and thank you very much. I ordered an Upper Assembly this morning (went with DPMS because I can't afford the JP). Once received, I'm gonna practice and shoot the heck out of it and be done with it already. I'm sure all the frills, etc. will come down the road later but as we speak I have to learn to shoot a rifle first, which by the way I have little if any experience in.

Thanks again!

The accessory least used but which will bring about the greatest result is practice ammo. You are going about this correctly.

Thanks again!

BN91205

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner here! You get it mister! Pick one a practice!!!!!! AND you went with DPMS arguably the most generous match sponsor in the USA!

Well done. Now hit the range. If you get stuck or need additional info you are in the right place.

Good luck

Patrick

I have to learn to shoot a rifle first, which by the way I have little if any experience in.

Thanks again!

The accessory least used but which will bring about the greatest result is practice ammo. You are going about this correctly.

A rifle operators course would prove to be very valuable as well and go along real well with that practice ammo. Too often I observe self taught individuals who are unfamiliar with their rifle. Working on malfunctions would be a topic in point. Easy to read about them, seldom practiced.

Jay

Thanks again!

BN91205

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner here! You get it mister! Pick one a practice!!!!!! AND you went with DPMS arguably the most generous match sponsor in the USA!

Well done. Now hit the range. If you get stuck or need additional info you are in the right place.

Good luck

Patrick

Thank you! This has always been one of my faults... you see, I get into something or wanna get into something and I get all super excited about it and worry more about the gear instead of getting techniques down etc., etc. It usually takes me a day or two to settle down and reality sets in. Thanks again for all the help guys, gonna go buy some practice ammo right now while it's on sale at my local shop.

Cheers,

Brian

Good luck on your DPMS order. I, too, love how they support the sport, but they are less than reliable on their deliveries. I waited over a year for my LR308 upper (which was partially funded by a DPMS gift certificate I won at a match), after being told up to 4 months wait when I ordered it! And then it had to be sent back because it didn't function.. They had it 4 weeks and I have it back now, and it still isn't right, so it will have to go back to them again.

DPMS makes accurate barrels, though. And the guns are good.

If you need something without waiting, you might try Bushmaster. They also support the sport. Not to the extent that DPMS does, but I have been seeing Bushy prizes and banners at matches. In my experience they make good, accurate, solid guns. I just received a lightweight upper from them that I had ordered just one week earlier! That's a pretty good turnaround. I've had a V-Match 20" for several years that is nicely accurate and reliable with the right ammo (it doesn't like Wolf).

OTOH, if your DPMS is on it's way you'll be getting a fine gun. Shoot the crap out of it! :cheers:

Good luck on your DPMS order. I, too, love how they support the sport, but they are less than reliable on their deliveries. I waited over a year for my LR308 upper (which was partially funded by a DPMS gift certificate I won at a match), after being told up to 4 months wait when I ordered it! And then it had to be sent back because it didn't function.. They had it 4 weeks and I have it back now, and it still isn't right, so it will have to go back to them again.

DPMS makes accurate barrels, though. And the guns are good.

If you need something without waiting, you might try Bushmaster. They also support the sport. Not to the extent that DPMS does, but I have been seeing Bushy prizes and banners at matches. In my experience they make good, accurate, solid guns. I just received a lightweight upper from them that I had ordered just one week earlier! That's a pretty good turnaround. I've had a V-Match 20" for several years that is nicely accurate and reliable with the right ammo (it doesn't like Wolf).

OTOH, if your DPMS is on it's way you'll be getting a fine gun. Shoot the crap out of it! :cheers:

Yeah, spoke to DPMS and they said something like 90 days. Did some research and Midway had the exact same upper assembly I wanted; got an email today that it was on the truck and on its way to being delivered! Whoo hoo! Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I ever decide to build up my other lower.