Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding a "Keeper" Gun

doc540

Started with Smith's then a Colt Detective Special, then the Agent, and finally finished mod'ing this unfired 1976 Colt Cobra.

light weight, 6 shots, bobbed hammer, Gary Dean trigger job, Jim Badger grips

This is it, boys and girls. Finally got it right.

ColtCobra010-1.jpg

:cheers:

Thanks, I enjoy shooting snubs and shooting them often.

It's those darned Smith airweights that bite so badly. The Colts are a different animal.

I practice with wadcutters, then run a few Gold Dot's through it to stay proficient.

The "unfired" condition will be modified quickly.

Edited by doc540

Double posted, so mod's are welcome to delete the other one if necessary.

(could be considered "off topic", but I thinking I'm progressing enough to shoot one competitvely)

For the last year or so I've been gradually refining my carry guns: .38 snub

Started with a Smith M36, then a M60, then my first Colt, a Detective Special.

Next I modded a Colt Agent which works very well.

Last month I lucked into a deal on a pristine, unfired Colt Cobra.

After a trigger job and hammer bob, I added the custom Jim Badger grips. He cut these down and had them in my hands in less than two weeks! (and at his regular price). Just can't beat that.

So, here it is. It's almost too clean and pretty to carry and shoot. :wacko:

ColtCobra010-1.jpg

I knew it was clean but had no idea it was "unfired". Here's a pic from the original ad:

colt3.jpg

Edited by doc540

I'm a revolver type dude myself. Carried a S&W M-60, then a Colt Det Special, now a S&W 640, and just bought another Det Special (DOB of 1957). The other Det Special is too nice to carry & was born in 1967. Thats a nice looking Cobra. How much does that gun weigh??

Very nice heater! I've always wanted to like the Colt D-frames, and have owned several over the years, but I can never quite warm up to them. For me, they're just on the wrong side of being too big for deep concealment in a pants pocket or belly band, which I think is the correct role for the snubby. For me, an airweight or airlite J-frame works much better. If I'm going to carry a belt gun, it might as well be something with more power and/or capacity.

Very nice heater! I've always wanted to like the Colt D-frames, and have owned several over the years, but I can never quite warm up to them. For me, they're just on the wrong side of being too big for deep concealment in a pants pocket or belly band, which I think is the correct role for the snubby. For me, an airweight or airlite J-frame works much better. If I'm going to carry a belt gun, it might as well be something with more power and/or capacity.

Yes, carry situation can determine what fits one's needs.

Here's mine:

suit1.jpg

ExcaliberSmartCarry1Small.jpg

"Hey buddy, is that a smart carry holster ya' got on or are you glad to see me?"

Careful, podnah. If someone is looking close enough to see that I'm packing with that SmartCarry setup...they're looking way too close. :ph34r:

Do you compete with any of these? After getting rid of my 8 shooter I now shoot ICORE with my carry guns. I am seriously thinking about using my 940 at the East Coast match later this month. I'm just worried that the high round count will take a toll on my hand. Shooting the Summer Blast with my Mountain Gun left my hand bloody and I'd rather not go down that road again. But there is a certain appeal to surviving a match with a J Frame and not finishing last.

Dave Sinko

"Hey buddy, is that a smart carry holster ya' got on or are you glad to see me?"

Careful, podnah. If someone is looking close enough to see that I'm packing with that SmartCarry setup...they're looking way too close. :ph34r:

I don't know If I'd want my fellow BEers to know that I have a 2 incher in my pants.

Everyone else in the world but me seems to find the D-frames considerably more pleasant to shoot than the J-frames. It must be something about the shape of my hand, but I've always found the little D-frames, even an all-steel Detective Special, particularly unpleasant to fire. It's just something about the way the recoil hits my hand. Not that S&W J-frames are the most pleasant things in the world to fire either....just nicer for me than Colt D-frames. :lol:

Everyone else in the world but me seems to find the D-frames considerably more pleasant to shoot than the J-frames. It must be something about the shape of my hand, but I've always found the little D-frames, even an all-steel Detective Special, particularly unpleasant to fire. It's just something about the way the recoil hits my hand. Not that S&W J-frames are the most pleasant things in the world to fire either....just nicer for me than Colt D-frames. :lol:

D-frame triggers tend to pinch my finger, for some reason.

Is that a hammer spur on the gun in that rig?

Yes, semi-bobbed Smith M36 with an early set of grips that I sent back.

It's my wife's gun now.

CrimsonTrace004-1.jpg

(even those 95 grain Silvertips are becoming vintage) :D

Edited by doc540