Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 LaRue Tactical Multi-Gun Match

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off Great Match. Congrats to all that finished way up on top. Thanks LaRue and all of the sponsors and the RO's. It was my first 3-gun match and was a challange. I really enjoyed the moving and shooting, something I don't get to do very often(and it shows).

The only thing I didn't like was competing with some of the "Pro's" that get paid and are sponsered to shoot matches. They are way above and beyond most of our shooting skills and it really showed. Maybe class shooters by how many matches they have won or something like that?????(Others muttered it, but I am typing it) I know I will get flamed by saying that, so what the hell I'm a man and can take it. I know that gives people something to strive for and to push them and make them better shooters. I just dont have the money for ammo to shoot like those guys. A great match and I will be back next year, for sure.

Thanks again for everyones time who put this on.

Great match, Greg. Thanks to you and your crew for all the hard work. That was certainly a match that tested one's whole skill set: target discrimination, support side shooting, technical slug shots, wind reading, odd angles, CQB, shooting out of moving vehicles, crawling, running.

My biggest criticism is that there was too much select slug and select slug combined with aerial targets which could easily lead to someone engaging an aerial with a slug. That and my procedural for actually shooting the targets tactically on Stage 4! :roflol:

As for shooting against "Pros." This was a MAJOR 3 gun event, what did you expect? But all of those "Pros" have real jobs too. There are not many Rob Leatham/Jerry Miculek full time shooting professionals. So buy a Nordic Components .22 upper and get out and practice!

I joke that I go to the Big 3 Gun matches so that I can get beat by the best. instead of the Local guys,,, that beat me on a regular basis.

I try to run with the big boys. I'm working at it and this match, I had a good run.

One of the best parts of this sport is that you can, step up and see how well you can do against the best,

It may be hard on the ego, but you can step up.

I can only think of one other sport that you can step up, ((that would be, Running, or triathlon's))

If you Golf, play B-ball, Ok name a sport,,,your out of luck, you're not going to step up and compete with the best.

Get the best equipment you can afford, It does not have to be super high dollar,,, Money does not shoot the gun, ,set up your equipment correctly and Practice.

Jim Morris

First off Great Match. Congrats to all that finished way up on top. Thanks LaRue and all of the sponsors and the RO's. It was my first 3-gun match and was a challange. I really enjoyed the moving and shooting, something I don't get to do very often(and it shows).

The only thing I didn't like was competing with some of the "Pro's" that get paid and are sponsered to shoot matches. They are way above and beyond most of our shooting skills and it really showed. Maybe class shooters by how many matches they have won or something like that?????(Others muttered it, but I am typing it) I know I will get flamed by saying that, so what the hell I'm a man and can take it. I know that gives people something to strive for and to push them and make them better shooters. I just dont have the money for ammo to shoot like those guys. A great match and I will be back next year, for sure.

Great match, Greg. Thanks to you and your crew for all the hard work. That was certainly a match that tested one's whole skill set: target discrimination, support side shooting, technical slug shots, wind reading, odd angles, CQB, shooting out of moving vehicles, crawling, running.

My biggest criticism is that there was too much select slug and select slug combined with aerial targets which could easily lead to someone engaging an aerial with a slug. That and my procedural for actually shooting the targets tactically on Stage 4! :roflol:

As for shooting against "Pros." This was a MAJOR 3 gun event, what did you expect? But all of those "Pros" have real jobs too. There are not many Rob Leatham/Jerry Miculek full time shooting professionals. So buy a Nordic Components .22 upper and get out and practice!

I joke that I go to the Big 3 Gun matches so that I can get beat by the best. instead of the Local guys,,, that beat me on a regular basis.

I try to run with the big boys. I'm working at it and this match, I had a good run.

One of the best parts of this sport is that you can, step up and see how well you can do against the best,

I can only think of one other sport that you can step up, ((that would be, Running, or triathlon's))

If you Golf, play B-ball, Ok name a sport,,,your out of luck, you're not going to step up and compete with the best.

Get the best equipment you can afford, It does not have to be super high dollar,,, Money does not shoot the gun, ,set up your equipment correctly and Practice.

Jim Morris

'Practice!' Now there's a novel idea. reckon i am gonna have to give that a try.

:cheers:

Jim Morris

'Practice!' Now there's a novel idea. reckon i am gonna have to give that a try.

Yeah I'm gonna be doing A LOT of that practice stuff. A LOT! Especially with my pistol.

Ok, guys no joke at all.

I have not pulled my rifle and shotgun out since Larue 09, there was rust all over my rifle comp, and I pulled 18th.

So, you don't HAVE to practice. :P I might do a couple of drills, maybe even oil up my guns for Larue 2011 though, so watch out!

Ok, guys no joke at all.

I have not pulled my rifle and shotgun out since Larue 09, there was rust all over my rifle comp, and I pulled 18th.

So, you don't HAVE to practice. :P I might do a couple of drills, maybe even oil up my guns for Larue 2011 though, so watch out!

must be that youth and skill thing.

Some don't, most should, and not enough Do. I practiced as hard as I know how , to smooth out my rough spots.

I did as much as was responsible to do learning 3gun, any skill I have is very Hard learned, and I paid a larger price than most to learn it. My only real Talent is the ability to say something completely Odd

Well intentioned, but Strange

any one that placed below 16th =I worked very hard for it

Edited by AlamoShooter

As for some constructive thoughts that have not already been said, there might be a better way to handle downrange issues for stages 3 to 5. We saw a couple instances when a target was being reset, found or whatever and the RO's on the adjoining stages did not seem to know what was occurring. We just saw people downrange so we had to stop the next shooter. I don't know if this impacted the shooting schedule or not or if it is just an inconvenience. Radio's can sometimes be unreliable so, if it is practical, perhaps a flag system or something similar that would be visible by the other stages may be employed to signify a stage is hot or not.

The wife and I had a great time!!! Our bruises and bumps (thanks to Stage 1) are healing nicely. We want to thank all the staff and RO's for working so hard. The match was tough and we a learned a lot from it. Squad 2 was great and we hope to see all you guys soon. We will definitlely be back next year. :cheers:

Maurice

Here are the stages best I remember them.

Stage 1:

Low crawl through a tunnel, retrieve shotgun, engage 5 clays with birdshot and 1 slug target, move to left side of course, engage 5 clays and 1 slug target, set down shotgun, low crawl through second tunnel, retrieve rifle, shoot 3 targets, activate and engage 2 moving targets, move to right side of course, engage 3 targets, activate and engage 2 more moving targets.

The tunnel was made of pallets and more than a few people bashed their head into them as it got lower in the middle. Finished 5th overall on that stage but I'm still covered in cuts and bruises from it.

Stage 2:

A shoot house with 4 sets of targets in rooms inside, 4 targets in each set, each marked with a different color. You draw a color just before the buzzer and those color targets are the no shoots. Breach door with 2 shotgun rounds, enter door, engage 1 clay and 1 slug, set down shotgun and unsling rifle which was loaded with 26 rounds, engage the sets of colored targets along with a few other paper targets which means you run out of rifle and must transition to pistol to finish off the paper along with a couple of steel targets at the end.

I screwed up and missed the second shot on the breach twice somehow and had to do an unnecessary shotgun reload, but still finished up pretty well.

Stage 3:

Engage 8 paper targets with your pistol at about 15 yards, set down pistol and unsling rifle, run to next shooting postion and shoot 3 paper targets offhand at around 25 yards, then move forward to the last postion and engage 9 LaRue and swinging targets varying from 70 - 440 yards.

Stage 4:

Shoot pistol through a port at 4 targets at 10 yards strong hand, switch to other port and shoot 4 more targets at 10 yards support hand only, set down pistol, move to the right and shoot suppressed OBR on bipod at 300 yard target, retrieve your rifle, shoot 2 targets at around 25 yards offhand, go prone and engage 4 targets at 240 yards weak side, move over and shoot 3 LaRue targets at 70 yards offhand or kneeling, move over again, shoot 2 more paper targets offhand, then the 4 targets at 240 yards again from prone strong side.

Stage 5:

All guns started laying on a table about 15 yards behind a VTAC barricade. At buzzer retrieve pistol and shoot 3 paper targets at about 15 yards through the right port, mandatory reload, shoot a Texas star and 1 popper through the left port, set down pistol, run back and retrieve shotgun, shoot 4 clays and a slug through the right port, then 4 clays and a slug through the left port, set down shotgun, run back to table to retrieve rifle, shoot 2 LaRue and 2 lollipop targets through the 45 degree angled slot, mandatory reload, and shoot 2 more LaRue and 2 lollipop targets through the 90 degree angled slot.

Stage 6:

Start on the far right or left side of the stage, shoot 5 clays and a slug, then move to the extreme other side, shoot 5 more clays and a slug, set down shotgun, retrieve rifle, shoot 1 paper target at about 40 yards offhand, then you had to shoot through some barrels at awkward heights both strong and weak side.

Here's a video that shows it pretty good, just found it on youtube, don't know who is in it.

Stage 7:

The jungle run that involve all 3 guns and a lot of running through very difficult terrain. You can see all of it in the video someone posted of Taran running it.

Stage 8:

Shoot 12 or so clays and 2 slugs from the back of a truck moving at 7-8 mph. At the end it stops and you retrieve your rifle to Mozambique 8 targets, then engage 2 LaRue's and 2 MGM minipoppers at 100 yards through a 90 degree slot.

Our little highlight reel from the match.

Many thanks to Greg & Linda for their hard work and effort and Cawthon Cartridge Club for hosting a great event.

This is not to be critical of this match, but a suggestion to make future tactical multi-gun matches better. Get rid of the fowling piece altogether or limit its use to slugs and or buckshot.

Getting rid of it would do a couple of things, first it would cut the initial start up costs for new shooters and cut practice expense for everyone else. It'd also allow for more more HG/carbine stages.

I know that the fowling piece has "tactical" applications, but I doubt if many actually involve birdshot.

nah, poppers/flippers allow for too many shooter options on how to address a stage. definately keep em.

BTW, Linda Chico: any possibility of seeing combined divisions (tac plus heavy)? I'd like to gauge how the two compare, may affect my class choices later in the year. Please and thank you.

Edited by ken hebert

Thanks for everyone that volunteered their time and energy to make this happen. And to Steve for allowing us to use his range. I think out of the 8 stages I was able to complete 3 of them before I timed out.

I cut and pasted some items I posted in another forum. Hope these help.

• More garbage cans at each stage, or rather a garbage can at each stage instead of bags on the ground.

• Medics/EMTS - instead of at a central point, with the stages so spread around maybe spread the medics around and make them identifiable, plus many of the participants are also medics, emts and paramedics(but this may end up being a personal liability problem).

• Instead of just a hat, maybe supply the ROs/Scorers/Support with a unique colored shirt.

• A defined/marked/mapped camping area. I kinda suspected where it was, but I’m still not 100% sure.

• An overnight parking area for ATVs, UTVs, carts and trailers.

• Finally, transportation with a clearly defined and easy to use REVERSE for a certain match sponsor.

Also, for next year, what can WE do to help?

mm

SGDM, kudos for running a great match, and sorry to hear about the aftermath and fallout. Let me know if I can be of any legal assistance to you in the coming weeks. Thanks for letting us hit the range this afternoon before the rain, and we hope to see you in Phoenix next week.

What is the aftermath and fallout? Did something happen after the match?

SGDM, kudos for running a great match, and sorry to hear about the aftermath and fallout. Let me know if I can be of any legal assistance to you in the coming weeks. Thanks for letting us hit the range this afternoon before the rain, and we hope to see you in Phoenix next week.

What is the aftermath and fallout? Did something happen after the match?

No shit what the hell did I miss?

Has Linda made it home ok?

mm

Made it home late Wednesday, did laundry, re-packed, did the Ft Benning 3 Gun Sign in, and left early today for Charlotte NC for the NRA Annual Meeting. . . :blink:

This idle life of being retired is wearing me down.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2010 LaRue Tactical 3 Gun Statistician

nah, poppers/flippers allow for too many shooter options on how to address a stage. definately keep em.

I agree that poppers/flippers are a lot of fun and do add some challenge to stage management and I love to shoot the things. That said, if running to tables(or the same table) to switch guns, or gratuitous movement (crawling, running,etc) give a stage the "carnival feel" then how much more so does a popper that activates a flipping clay or even rabbit? If the match is to have a "tactical" theme and shooters on the one hand will judge stages as such, for instance "I'd never shoot support side unless something was wrong with the strong side hand" (I agree with that by the way, I'd have made it support side only) or not having movement for the sake of having movement`then using the SG within those parameters is so far far fetched.

I know lots of folk that practice with.22 uppers on both carbines and pistols, but they don't expect to shoot them in the match, so why shoot puff SG loads?

Use the shotgun in the proper context or get rid of it. It might be interesting to see how many of the SG's we use would actually hold up to heavy loads and hard use, I know lots of them puke with light stuff.

BTW, Linda Chico: any possibility of seeing combined divisions (tac plus heavy)? I'd like to gauge how the two compare, may affect my class choices later in the year. Please and thank you.