Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 LaRue Tactical Multi-Gun Match

You may want to practice turning your rifle 90 degrees left and right to see where you need to hold out to 200 yards. Roll over prone.

You also may want to practice off hand shots with yer rifle out to 150 yards.

A little intel...

Can someone elaborate on this a little more? I feel I may be in a little over my head...but I tread pretty damn good.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a target that is 200 yards away. For the sake of argument, let's say it's a 10" steel flash target. You have to engage the target through a port and the port is 3" high and 10" long. You have to turn the rifle sideways in order to see your sights on the target. With the crosshairs on the target, where's the bullet go? If it's like Ft Benning, you'll be prone - in the mud. If it's like Blue Ridge last year and you're under 5'10, you'll have no position.

You may want to practice turning your rifle 90 degrees left and right to see where you need to hold out to 200 yards. Roll over prone.

A little intel...

Can someone elaborate on this a little more? I feel I may be in a little over my head...but I tread pretty damn good.

A little intel...

Last year a stage included engaging targets from a low port in a barricade. The port height did not allow for you to obtain sight alignment with the target unless you canted your rifle over on it's side. (Representing shooting under a vehicle, etc.) You have to take into consideration that your bbl. is angled to meet your line of sight a certain amount, and that is dependent on your zero distance. When you turn your rifle on it's side and line up on target, your bbl. is still angled to meet your line of sight. The result is that you will have a lateral shift in your point of impact and you will have to compensate for that along with bullet drop.

This was the first match and only the 3rd time I had shot my saiga so I was not very comfortable with the sights and was missing some of the slug shots so. I was changing mags to. This is not the way to do it. Lol. Now I load the mags like I want to shoot the stage. But always have a back up plan in case you miss a shot. I really worked on my reloads and also worked on my loading one at a time. It's a little hard to get used to but if you work on it it's not that bad.

I PMed SGDM this question but I guess he has not seen it.

Does anyone know how the shotgun rules will apply to Saiga 12 gauges? I plan on using mine with 8 round magazines and iron sights and I think that will be kosher. But I am also thinking about using a magazine well. There was a lot of verbage about factory shotgun setup but nobody shoots Saiga 12 gauges in their factory config. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

jrmock

Magwells are permitted on handguns, that's already been covered. There has never been any question that I am aware of about the Arredondo magwell for AR15's nor has anyone ever restricted the work that Benny and a lot of others do opening up the loading ports on Benelli's and Remingtons. Based on that, I'd say that magwells on Saiga's would be legit.

I had no problems with the saiga I shot last year. It did not have a mag well though. The one thing that I did get confirmed last year and was told was a go was the poly choke. I guess it is still good to go this year? I ran 12, 8 and 5 round mags. But never loaded more than the max 9 in the gun. It was not a stock saiga but at the same time it was by far no open gun. I also ran a Arredondo mag well on my ar and had no problems. I used the firebird p mag coupler and it was able to clear the Arredondo. Fine. So I had one 30 mag and the other had a 45 round mag. It allowed me to have my ammo close on the gun and depending on the shooting postion I could make a quick change coming in on the set up to either a short mag to get low or to go low prone with the 45 rounder and use it like a mono pod.

Thanks for the info. I have a polychoke on my gun (non vented) and I plan on using it also. My gun will be pretty tame: iron sights, poly-choke, pistol grip conversion (of course), magwell (maybe).

As an aside, when you (PHolsted) had to swap between slug and shot in the middle of a stage (Shot Shot Shot Slug Shot Shot...etc) what loading technique did you use? I have not taken my Saiga 12 to a 3-gun yet and I have been thinking about the best ways to do ammunition swapping.

Thanks,

jrmock

I think greg's post says it all, small irregular ports and offhand shooting. Seems like all that STC practice will come in handy.

trapr

Hey Trapr,

When I get back from Djibouti want to "practice" together... by practice I mean want to give me some instruction in shooting through these crazy ports of course.. :) I will have about 6 weeks to practice when I get back so I hope to be ready for those crazy shooting situations.. My biggest problem is a place to practice it...

A little intel...

Ok Ok,,,, I know my 90 degree holds out to 200… :closedeyes: Shooting from Odd positions I’m ok with that! :closedeyes:

But this roll over inverted prone!! :surprise:

Hey I’m going to have to Google some of that. To see what that looks like,, :sick:

If my Kids see this, will they be scared for life?

Can I bring my Chiropractor with me on the stage?

All rhetorical questions. :roflol:

Hmmmmmmm

Jim M ammo

Hey I’m going to have to Google some of that. To see what that looks like,, :sick:

Jim - remember what Doug did on the prone/mud stage at Benning? That is rollover inverted prone. Good for the long and lean. For the circumferentially challenged - not so much. For the chiropractically challenged - not so much. And I am challenged in both of those areas. :(

Lee

Jim - remember what Doug did on the prone/mud stage at Benning? That is rollover inverted prone. Good for the long and lean. For the circumferentially challenged - not so much. For the chiropractically challenged - not so much. And I am challenged in both of those areas. :(

Lee

So let me get this straight Lee, you are saying that this curled in a ball inverted prone position is not good for us large mammal types... GREAT... :)

Lee

So let me get this straight Lee, you are saying that this curled in a ball inverted prone position is not good for us large mammal types... GREAT... :)

I have hired a contortionist to help me train for the match! She says that she will have me ready for the dreaded pretzel shot by that time. :P This is a fun conversation!

I saw a guy do this last year @ the larue 3 gun, he couldn't get he site picture he wanted and when upside down on a very low & wide port in the bottom of a fence barricade, and still shot the stage in the best or 2nd best time of the day!

when he rotated over it was really amazing and I had never seen anything like that before.... it was one of those "you got to be @#$&$&% kidding me! :surprise: moments.

Edited by B_Ayers

I saw a guy do this last year @ the larue 3 gun, he couldn't get he site picture he wanted and when upside down on a very low & wide port in the bottom of a fence barricade, and still shot the stage in the best or 2nd best time of the day!

when he rotated over it was really amazing and I had never seen anything like that before.... it was one of those "you got to be @#$&$&% kidding me! :surprise: moments.

Alamoshooter was the one who did it first. He really kicked a** on that run. I was able to shoot it prone with rifle on the ground with a double mag to support it. Never really clicked to roll over and try that.

Alamoshooter was the one who did it first. He really kicked a** on that run. I was able to shoot it prone with rifle on the ground with a double mag to support it. Never really clicked to roll over and try that.

Thanks Mike! I didn't know who it was that did that, but it was wild to say the least and the RO's were in shock when he did that. I thought the RO's were about to step in and stop him when he flipped over....

Edited by B_Ayers

Thanks Mike! I didn't know who it was that did that, but it was wild to say the least and the RO's were in shock when he did that. I thought the RO's were about to step in and stop him when he flipped over....

I think they were, but he was so quick they didn't have time and he made it look so easy. They also said I was "very tactical", I had never heard that before.

I know I'm gonna catch sh*t for this question, but here goes......Last year had some question on scoring the Larue targets. Last year a hit didn't score, only a falling steel scored. The question was with the problem with the 30-40mph tail wind pushing up against the back of the popper/Larue targets. Kinda hard getting them down with a 223 55gr. unless you hit em in the forehead, multi-tap em, or shoot the tactical heavy class. Is a hit a hit or are they going to have to fall to score? Several guys I saw were hitting them dead center with no luck last year using a 223/5.56. Hopefully the wind won't be a factor this year but is there a calibration on the steels or how will the hit be score.