Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

in 2 weeks, i'll be moving my daughter off to college. the past few weeks have been depressing. i find myself not sleeping well, i'm a wreck, and i could care less about shooting after 25 years of competing. i'm not ready for that drive down to SoCal, and especially don't look forward to that long drive back without her.

seems she was just born yesterday. heck, we were just catching her 1st bass. i remember her trying to shoot plates when she was just 9. i miss her already! i am bummed... :wacko:

I was actually kind of happy to see mine go two years ago. My boy goes this year. Only one more to go after that. :cheers: But they are only an hour or so away @OSU so I still see them once in awhile.

My daughter went away last fall for a week. People To People Conference, Washington, DC. At the time she was 11 years old.

I kept the phone on and drove home slowly so that when she called, I wouldn't be so far away to turn around and go get her.

Yeah, right. She was fine, I was a wreck. Went to get her the next weekend. She was ready to stay.

I hate to be away over a weekend. I can't imagine how I'll feel when she really goes away. All I can hope is that while she may be away, I won't be losing her.

Jim

I really feel for you guys.

I thank my luckey stars I was blessed with a boy.

Dont have to worry about him coming home pregnant.

That's just wrong on so many levels. Now he'll never get any sleep.

BUT... no worries Butch, if you need me to thump on anyone for you on your daughters behalf, you let me know.

And just in case it's really that bad... got any guns for sale???....

Gary

BUT... no worries Butch, if you need me to thump on anyone for you on your daughters behalf, you let me know.

Gary

gee thanx, gary. say, i heard you made quire an impression with your new club down there.

I just took my daughter to NC State (about 3 hours away) yesterday. Im in the same boat. Her and I are good friends, she is part of the reason I got into shooting actually. Im bummed, but excited for her, and for her future. But Im bummed....... Ive sent her to many camps, and events and seminars where she would be gone 2 weeks at a time. But I always knew she would be home.

I think Ill go get me a big glass of wine, or 12, and at least ill sleep well tonight :roflol:

Anyone want a beer or some wine?

:cheers:

I work at a PAC-10 school and as part of the annual "move-in" they unlock my shackles so I can escape the confines of my desk and meet students and their parents. It is one of my favorite weeks because I get to meet lots of cool folks. Go Cougs!

I've not had the joy of being a parent, my wife and I met far too late in life to go down that path but I have had the honor of playing "weird uncle" to several children of close friends and my nephew will be headed to college here in about four years. So I pay attention to what goes on with parents and their kids and have learned a bunch of stuff in the last 15 years.

A bit of advice from someone who has seen thousands of parents "abandon" their children at my University. Take it for what you will.

If you raised your kids right and instilled within them the ability to make rational decisions then you know that they will do just fine. They will stumble and fall a few times; it's part of the process and you did it too. Remember what a better person a few scars made you into?

Never wonder what they are doing tonight unless you are prepared for the answer "the same thing you were probably doing in college". I have witnessed this answer bring adults to tears multiple times. But you survived it...right? They will too.

The kids that I see that really have trouble (drugs, alcohol, sex, etc.) rarely have a good relationship with their parents and seem to NEVER have any kind of dialog with either parent. They are looking for "something" and drugs, alcohol and sex are readily available so they try those.

Don't be helicopter parent. PLEASE! Let your children make their own choices and live with the consequences. If you don't trust them to make decisions then why did you let them go to college in the first place?

Make sure they know: 1) You love them unconditionally, 2) You are there to help ***IF*** they ask for it and 3) You trust them. Almost all the parents that I talk to every year that tell me that these are the last three things they tell their students before they leave.

Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays aren't that far away. But you need to be prepared for something strange: Your child will never come home again; a young adult that bears a strong resemblance to your child will come by for a visit from University. Home will (probably) never really be "home" for them anymore either. These are both very good things. Embrace them.

If you have kids coming to Wazzu and are bringing them over next week let me know if I can help. No, they can't live at my house and I am not feeding them. ;) But if they shoot I'd be happy to get them hooked up over here with the local clubs and can help them navigate the "gun owner on campus" stuff.

Eleven years ago we moved our daughter from North Carolina to Massachusetts to go to college. Since then she's been in Oregon, a 4 year stint in Scotland for a PhD and is now back in Massachusetts. I miss her terribly sometimes but she is always just a phone call or a Skype session or a chat away and we have learned to stay in close touch. Right now, I'm just happy that we're in the same time zone!

She was home for about 6 weeks this summer. It was really fun...and really different. Wouldn't trade it, but wouldn't have it that way long term either. I've always believed that the best thing we give kids is the ability to leave us even though it's hard as heck on parents.

She shot a couple of matches with us while she was home. I'm probably going to have to buy her another gun after she figures out the deal in Mass.

Gary

gee thanx, gary. say, i heard you made quire an impression with your new club down there.

Rumors... Can't prove anything....