Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos HP Edge or Bedell Spitfire SDC

bullitt5172

Hey guys,

I've been a shooter for quite a while but this will be my first STI. I'll be shooting bowling pin matches for the most part but I would like to start shooting IPSC matches as well. This is probably a no brainer for most of you but I can't make up my mind. I'm considering two guns, a Brazos HP Edge or a Bedell Spitfire SDC. The Brazos would be $2100, the Bedell (with the Dawson magwell) would be $2525. Is the Bedell that much better or would I be better off using the $425 to buy magazines? I assume that I will like shooting IPSC and can foresee me buying another 2011 style pistol in the future. I could always go the custom route at that time. Also, if I go the Bedell route would it make more sense to buy the bull barrel or bushing barrel? Thanks for the help guys…

ETA - I know I am comparing apples to oranges, that is my question. Is the custom that much better? I want the gun to be reliable and accurate.

Edited by bullitt5172

You are comparing apples to oranges here. The Bedell is a full house custom gun while the Brazo's Edge is a factory STI Edge that Bob tunes up. If you want to compare guns head to head you have to look at the Bedell Spitfire ($2525) vs. the Brazo's Pro Series Limited ($3000).

If you are sure you want a short dustcover gun, I would go with the bushing simply because it opens up options for you like shooting IDPA and USPSA with the same gun.

Yup. I'd recommend taking a look at the SC from Brazos. It's a lot of gun for the $ and something that really doesn't have to be upgraded later.

I've had both SC's and full custom limited guns from Bob and I'm just as happy with the SC's.

Hey guys,

I've been a shooter for quite a while but this will be my first STI. I'll be shooting bowling pin matches for the most part but I would like to start shooting IPSC matches as well. This is probably a no brainer for most of you but I can't make up my mind. I'm considering two guns, a Brazos HP Edge or a Bedell Spitfire SDC. The Brazos would be $2100, the Bedell (with the Dawson magwell) would be $2525. Is the Bedell that much better or would I be better off using the $425 to buy magazines? I assume that I will like shooting IPSC and can foresee me buying another 2011 style pistol in the future. I could always go the custom route at that time. Also, if I go the Bedell route would it make more sense to buy the bull barrel or bushing barrel? Thanks for the help guys…

ETA - I know I am comparing apples to oranges, that is my question. Is the custom that much better? I want the gun to be reliable and accurate.

Is the $425 or $500 (BCG Pro SC Limited) extra worth it? You bet.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either a Spitfire or the BCG Pro SC Limited, but I think Dan's wait time is a lot shorter...it was last I knew. That would make the decision for me. I have a Bedell Open gun that's never, ever had a malfunction that wasn't a bad mag (same mag pukes in every gun I've tried it in) or bad ammo (had a primer back out on an well used case). Still, there's no bad choice between the two. R,

Bedell + Bull Barrel.

I know you have not mentioned any other gunsmiths but right now Virgil Tripp has one that is for sale at $2550.00. I have one of his 6" limiteds and you cannot beat his pistols. It was for sale on the USPSA classifieds. If you cannot find it there do a search for Tripp Reseach.

I know you have not mentioned any other gunsmiths but right now ...

I was trying to stay within the parameters of the orginal post, but I'm all for digression! If bullitt5172 would post a location maybe some regional gunsmiths could be suggested.

I was trying to stay within the parameters of the orginal post, but I'm all for digression! If bullitt5172 would post a location maybe some regional gunsmiths could be suggested.

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. Definately giving me something to think about. I was all set on buying another Sig X5 Competition (foolishly sold my last one) when I made the switch from Sigs to Glocks but then I started thinking about the 2011's again. I'm a 1911 guy at heart but for some reason never really wanted a 2011 until now. I was going to build a Glock (and still might) before I started thinking about the 2011's!

Oh, I'm in Michigan.

Bryan

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. Definately giving me something to think about. I was all set on buying another Sig X5 Competition (foolishly sold my last one) when I made the switch from Sigs to Glocks but then I started thinking about the 2011's again. I'm a 1911 guy at heart but for some reason never really wanted a 2011 until now. I was going to build a Glock (and still might) before I started thinking about the 2011's!

Oh, I'm in Michigan.

Bryan

I'm just across the river from you in Grosse Ile....moved here last week! You're more than welcome to try my Edge which has the Dawson Super Tuned package (similar to the Brazos package) as well as a couple of other tweaks on it (my own trigger job, ambis and grip work). I do have a Bedell Open gun you can check out from a quality standpoint. Keep in mind Matt Cheely is just up the road and he can build pretty much any combo you can think of as well. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Oh, I'm in Michigan.

Bryan

Crimany man, get ahold of Cheely and be done with it!

I'm shooting a Dawson High Performance Edge. It came with a Recoil Master, it lasted one match and sold it, put a regular guide rod and spring in it. The trigger was good but after 500 rounds I had my smith make it great, the gun rocks. Dawson has them on sale now.

I have seen some pretty impressive shooting with the Brazos Pro limited gun, its lighter slide makes it cycle fast, I would definately trade my HP Edge on one of them. Have not seen a Bedell in action but he has an excellent reputation, and a light slide just differenct cuts.

I would think that in Bowling Pin shooting you need the best accuracy you can get and a custom as a general rule is more accurate. I have only shot pins with a rifle, and it was a blast.

I'm shooting a Dawson High Performance Edge. It came with a Recoil Master, it lasted one match and sold it, put a regular guide rod and spring in it. The trigger was good but after 500 rounds I had my smith make it great, the gun rocks. Dawson has them on sale now.

I have seen some pretty impressive shooting with the Brazos Pro limited gun, its lighter slide makes it cycle fast, I would definately trade my HP Edge on one of them. Have not seen a Bedell in action but he has an excellent reputation, and a light slide just differenct cuts.

I would think that in Bowling Pin shooting you need the best accuracy you can get and a custom as a general rule is more accurate. I have only shot pins with a rifle, and it was a blast.

I've never seen Dawson call their tuned Edge "High Performance" but I've never tried to keep track of the names they've used. The current version is called the Super Tuned, but they stopped offering them on a regular basis a year or so ago if my memory is correct. They do limited runs of them from time to time and it appears they have a few now. I love mine but knowing what I know now, and if I wasn't in a hurry, I'd go with a Bedell or other full custom. It's only a couple hundred more and some of the parts are better (ambis, hammer, sear, etc). I pulled the Recoil Master out of mine very quickly as well. A standard rod and 12.5lb spring are all it needs to feel perfect for me. R,

Oh, I'm in Michigan.

Bryan

Crimany man, get ahold of Cheely and be done with it!

Wow, I have heard of Matt but didn't realize he was local. I'll fire him an email and see what he can do. Thanks again guys.