Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris 1.5 - 6 XTR

jobob

I'm a proponent of having 1x at the low end of a 3-gun scope, and I've been considering trying a Burris 1 -4, but the 1.5 - 6 has caught my eye. I've been in some matches where the extra power on the high end could be very helpful. Sometimes distant targets do not contrast well with the background, especially when the plates have received many hits, and having a couple more x would come in handy.

The 1.5 on the low end could be somewhat of a hinderance, but having a 1.25 bottom in my Accupoint doesn't seem to slow things down perceptibly on close targets. I'd like to try the scope, but I don't want to spend $800 on a whim and find out it isn't something I want.

So, if anyone has experience with this scope, positive or negative, I'd like to hear about it. :)

Edited by jobob

I haven't looked through the 1.5-6 but have looked through several 1-4.

Pros: the glass should be good to go. BDC reticle can be very handy. If the adjustment prove to durable and repeatable exposed turrets can be a big help at matches with very long range targets.

Cons: You give up a good bit of field of view. 100-30 for the the 1-4 and only 60-20 for the 1.5-6. This can easily bite you just as bad as not enough magnification.

Not a true 1x on low power. Some folks find trying to shoot on 1.5 disorienting some don't.

Edited by smokshwn

My favorite scope is my 1.5x5 meopta, 6x would be nice and the bdc could be really nice but 60 ft fov? Nope, wont go there.----------Larry

Looking up the specs on your Leupold, I see the FOV listed at 65.7 ft. @ 100 yards. Not a lot of difference there, though the Lupy is somewhat better. Also, the FOV is the same in the 1" and 30mm tubes. That surprises me. I thought one of the advantages of the larger tube was a larger FOV. Must be mistaken on that one. It seems like I can see the world through my 1 - 4 Meopta, though. If the view through the scope is same, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost and weight going bigger.

Actually, the more I look at it, I'm starting to talk myself in to the Lupy 1.5 - 5x with the 1" tube. Lighter, cheaper, no illum., but who really needs it for our game?

I've been looking all over the Meopta website and can't find a 1.5-5x. The 1-4 has a 111' FOV, though. I agree that it's a fantastic scope, but I'm trying to find something useful that has a little more magnification on the high end, without sacrificing (much) on the low end.

And please, let's not bring up the Swarovski 1-6. Sure, it's a fine piece of glass, but I'm interested in scopes for (financial) mortals!

I've been looking all over the Meopta website and can't find a 1.5-5x. The 1-4 has a 111' FOV, though. I agree that it's a fantastic scope, but I'm trying to find something useful that has a little more magnification on the high end, without sacrificing (much) on the low end.

And please, let's not bring up the Swarovski 1-6. Sure, it's a fine piece of glass, but I'm interested in scopes for (financial) mortals!

O.K. what about the IOR 1.5x8? It'll give you 2x more on the top end, a BDC, and turrets.

I will be using the Burris 1.5X6 later this week. My TA-11 took a dive at the RM3G and I had just picked this scope up, so it will be forced to the starting role for the Tri-gun Challenge.

The FOV on the Burris is higher than the TA-11, and the new reticle is bright enough for bright daylight use so the BAC I am used to using on the 3.5 power TA-11 is even easier to use on the 1.5 power setting of this scope. We will see shortly, but from the brief work I have done with it so far, it looks like it might work. The only problem I might see is that the height of the target type knobs might work against you when you are engaging targets from left to right. Your vision might be obscured a little by the windage knob. I am anxious to give it a try at a short 3-gun rifle class on Thursday night.

I am using a Leupold 1.5-5 and like it. I wish it had a dot in the center of the reticle but the SPR is nice on long shots. (If only I could hit them!) I have a Burris XTR 1-4 on order; we'll see how it goes.

1chota

Just sighted in my new Burris 1.5-6 XTR. Looks like its gonna be a great scope. I was shooting at about high noon, very clear & raging sunny day and could see the illumination just fine. with the illum off the center dot was kinda opaque, which was interesting...

Anyway, was shooting the best groups ever with that upper, an 18in JP.

I would highly recommend this new sight!

jj

I looked thru one yesterday and the glass looked great. Seems a bit on the heavy side and looks like it's built like a tank which is a good thing to me. I like the new reticle myself. Makes sense to graduate it thinner for the longer range shooting.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

O.K. what about the IOR 1.5x8? It'll give you 2x more on the top end, a BDC, and turrets.

That does look interesting. About double what I would want to spend, but the power range is very attractive!

AND, that 89 foot FOV at 1.5 is nice, too. Hmm, you got me thinking!

Edited by jobob

Just got a burris yesterday, took it to the range today. The glass is surprisingly clear, no distortion. Reticle is spot on. I could only go out to 300 yards but it was right on the money. I purchased it because a friend of mine shot it in a local 3gun and really liked it.

I like the Burris reticle. Some tell me it's too busy but not me. I like the combination of the BDC reticle with the circle center. Glass is great on the 1-4 and it's built like a tank. I actually think the illumination feature is useless and distracting. The only place I think it's appropriate would be in a low light setting maybe in a SD situation. For competition in full daylight usually it's wasted.

The circle part of the reticle is visible as well as the center 100 yrd dot, the little 200 yrd dot, and the lower 300 yrd dot.

I worked with mine at the range for the first time yesterday. Sighted dead on at 100 and the 200 yrd dot and 300 yrd dot were dead on, the 400 yrd hash mark seemed good as well.

With the little 200 yrd dot I was making hits on the little head portion on the MGM Flashtarget at 200 yrds with ease. I shot two 62 grain loads and one 55 grn load and the groups impacted the same out to 300 yrds., at 400 yrds they began to seperate from each other. I was testing the different bullet weights because this reticle is set for 7.62 ammo and I wanted to see how much different it would be for 5.56 ammo.