Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special vs. 38 short colt

Spray_N_Prey

couple questions here.

1. if you reload 38 specials with the same load data that you use for 38 short colt, will the velocity go up, down or stay the same? since there is going to be more case room.

2. could anybody chime in on using Solo 1000 for 38 caliber loads? I am currently using lead and have heard that Solo 1000 would be the best powder.

3. is 38 short colt loads really that much faster to load in an 8 shot then 38 special?

couple questions here.

1. if you reload 38 specials with the same load data that you use for 38 short colt, will the velocity go up, down or stay the same? since there is going to be more case room.

2. could anybody chime in on using Solo 1000 for 38 caliber loads? I am currently using lead and have heard that Solo 1000 would be the best powder.

3. is 38 short colt loads really that much faster to load in an 8 shot then 38 special?

SprayNPray I'll start backwards>

3. is 38 short colt loads really that much faster to load in an 8 shot then 38 special? The 38 short colt tends to be more forgiving in speedloading because of the shorter case. It does not need to be as precise when lining up to the cylinder.

From what I have worked with I find that Solo 1000 works great in a 38 special case. Not so much in the 38 Super. If I have your correct e-mail address I'll shoot you a copy of my data for the 38 special in an excell spreadsheet.

1. if you reload 38 specials with the same load data that you use for 38 short colt, will the velocity go up, down or stay the same? since there is going to be more case room. If you use the same load data more than likely the pressures will be higher and depending on the powder used it could get bad quickly. Uhh, don't do it, but work up your load carefully.

Hope this is helpfull. Later rdd

couple questions here.

I use different powders in my short colt loads. Same stuff as in my 9's and supers. It will most likely go down.

#2 I tried many powders in the early years testing 38 special ICORE loads and NRA Bianchi loads. I tested them over the chrono drawing from a holster. The Solo 1000 was the best at consistant velocity, and the least velocity loss on the first shot out from a draw.

#3 I have found the short colts to be marginally faster on reloads.

couple questions here.

1. if you reload 38 specials with the same load data that you use for 38 short colt, will the velocity go up, down or stay the same? since there is going to be more case room. Use 9mm data and you will be okay.

2. could anybody chime in on using Solo 1000 for 38 caliber loads? I am currently using lead and have heard that Solo 1000 would be the best powder. Sorry can't help here

3. is 38 short colt loads really that much faster to load in an 8 shot then 38 special? Yes

There are always exceptions to general rules. Having said that, I will add my bit.

1. Pressure equals velocity. More pressure = more velocity. Less pressure = less velocity. With a given powder charge, there will be less pressure in the larger size case, normally.

2. I have been told (not sure if this is factual) that Solo 1000 will spike once it hits a certain pressure. If it does, that will blow up your gun. I do know that 231 has a gradual

pressure curve all the way up to magnum. I think most powders are more like 231.

3. It partly depends on the bullet shape how easily they will go in the chambers. I would say that 38 special with round nose bullets will go a lot easier than short colt with

semi wadcutter. If they both have round nose, the short colt will be a little bit easier.

Stick with Bubber for the reloading info for Solo and the 38special. Good stuff,

Think of the short colt as a big rimmed 9x19 with the same case volume, and the special to it is like 38 special/.357 magnum.

You can extrapolate 9mm load data for the short colt very close. I would watch max loads, but most people using the short colt are not looking for magnum performance either..... ;).

For me, when I set up a side by side test, inn loading 38 specials with 158gr roundnose versus short colts with 150gr roundnose there is faster loads, faster ejection, and less disaster factor when doing a speed reload (including dumping the moonclip at high speed) with the shorts.

That is my opinion from trying it myself. Your results may vary....

Give it a try and see what you think!

It works for me, but then I almost have to say that when I look at how much I have invested into Hearthco moons and starline brass too....... :roflol:

Good luck,

DougC