Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching my parents killing themselves

Canuck223

I know, it's thier lives and thier choice, but I swear they are trying to kill themselves with cigarettes.

When smokes creeped up in price, they started buying the el-cheapo bagged smokes from the indian reserve at 25% the price.

All my older relatives smoked and one of my great-aunts worked in a cigarette factory, of all places, and brought home huge grocery bagsful of 'rejects' from the production line in San Francisco. My God, I could hardly believe the quantities...!! So they were killing themselves at essentially no cost! They had as many cigarettes as they pleased. Gah! :surprise:

My great grandmother smoked and drank everyday...all day and she lived to be 93 and passed away of natural causes. (old age)

When she got older we moved her closer to us so we could watch her more and my mom got her to cut back a little but we knew if we forced her to stop her body would most likely go into shock.

Each person is different, but if they are happy in life then let it be.

I lost my dad at 62 and he didn't smoke and rarely drank.

Just be happy and enjoy time with them while they are still here.

Sorry to hear this; If you are living in the same house then it's not doing you much good either.

:surprise: Nope. Bought my first place when I was 28. Stupidly, I never truly was aware of how smoke filled my parents home was until I had my own. Now, when we visit, the kids hit the bath right after we get home, and the clothes go straight into the laundry.

It just frustrates the heck out of me. They are constantly coughing and short of breath.

My great grandmother smoked and drank everyday...all day and she lived to be 93 and passed away of natural causes. (old age)

When she got older we moved her closer to us so we could watch her more and my mom got her to cut back a little but we knew if we forced her to stop her body would most likely go into shock.

Each person is different, but if they are happy in life then let it be.

I lost my dad at 62 and he didn't smoke and rarely drank.

Just be happy and enjoy time with them while they are still here.

+1

About all you could do is let them know you're concerned (which you've probably been doing for years). Beyond that, let them live their own lives and don't look down on them for their life choices.

Lost both my parents from smoking. I understand your frustration.

Edited by DonT

Both my parents are chain smokers. As they get older, let's just say they're both paying the price. Of all the kids (I have three younger sisters, I'm the only son and eldest child), I'm the only one who's never smoked. I'm actually allergic to cigarette smoke. Okay, it's not like if someone lights up near me I'm going to go into anaphylactic shock and die, but my eyes will get red and swell up, it gets hard for me to breathe. Just a few months ago my baby sister (well, she's 36 years old but she'll always be my baby sister) quit smoking after doing it since she was about 13. I am SO proud of her.

My mother died of emphysema. Spent the last 10 years of her life bedridden as she didn't have the stregnth to do anything. Answering the phone was exhausting. She more than once begged her God to take her as she couldn't handle the suffering. Her passing was a blessing.

My aunt who was my mothers sister died of lung cancer. Once diagnosed with cancer in one lung she went though radiation therapy and surgery. I still think the radiation techs screwed up and burnt her lung. The pain she went through was immense. Once cancer was diagnosed in her other lung she, in effect, wiped her hands and said I"m done. Six weeks later she died.

That all said you'd think I'd be an anti-smoking nazi. I'm not. Geez, I like an occassional cigar myself. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you do smoke, make a real effort to quit. Not just for yourself but for those you love. It's still your choice and if you want to poison yourself, go ahead. Just don't come to me looking for sympathy because you made a bad choice.

Canuck

It sounds like you've never been hooked. Take it from someone that smokes 3 packs of Camels a day (no filters), they won't quit until they're ready. I always had an excuse to continue. While I was smoking I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that everybody was saying these things just to make me quit. I'd quit when I wanted to. Get the picture? The addiction superseded anyone and anything else. My understanding is that nicotine is a more demanding drug than cocaine. I always had an excuse not to quit. Unfortunately, you can't make them quit. All you can do is make sure that your children don't even get started. Knowledge is power.

Canuck

My understanding is that nicotine is a more demanding drug than cocaine.

That is a lie that all smokers tell themselves to make it easier to continue smoking. It is a "craving" .... not an addiction. It becomes a "habit", something to do to kill time or fit in, or feel more relaxed. But it's not an addiction.

In the end YOU are in control of your own life. Quit now or quit tomorrow, BUT QUIT BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF. (not to mention all the $$$$$ you are burning up) :)

Canuck

My understanding is that nicotine is a more demanding drug than cocaine.

That is a lie that all smokers tell themselves to make it easier to continue smoking. It is a "craving" .... not an addiction. It becomes a "habit", something to do to kill time or fit in, or feel more relaxed. But it's not an addiction.

In the end YOU are in control of your own life. Quit now or quit tomorrow, BUT QUIT BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF. (not to mention all the $$$$$ you are burning up) :)

Pretty good advice there, and fairly well sums up exactly why I quit smoking. Only 20 days now but hey, its a start :cheers:

Now, having said that my great-aunt worked in a cigarette factory and brought home bagsful of the things, I need to mention a couple of points: All this family of Italians smoked like stoves. My God, and some of them are still alive!! The ones that are gone all lived into their 90s easily. One is 103 or so and still very much alive and well (though living in a retirement community/assisted living place--mainly because she ran out of relatives to live with!).

I don't go around telling people to smoke or not smoke. I think, as was mentioned here earlier, it depends on the constitution of the individual. I think the occasional cigarette rolled with good tobacco is like the occasional good glass of wine, a good piece of chocolate, a belt or two of good whiskey or a bowl of well-chosen pipe tobacco--something to be savored in moderation and truly enjoyed. I'm not against smoking totally. All things in moderation. B)

For decades if not centuries people wondered why some people can smoke like chimneys their entire lives and finally die at the age of 101 when they get run over in the street, and some people....can't. They smoke for a few decades and die of lung cancer. Finally geneticists were able to answer that question. There are chemical triggers running along the DNA spiral that are called proto-oncogenes, or POs for short. One of the defining characteristics of a PO is that when it's inactive it just sits there and does nothing, but when it's activated it will have a certain physical effect.

There are various causative agents, both mental and physical, that can activate a particular PO. For instance the PO for facial hair in men is activated by puberty. One of the most commonly understood cause-and-effect relationships is that people who smoke tend to get lung cancer. But whether or not smoking gives you lung cancer is going to depend on whether or not you have the PO for lung cancer. Where we get the PO for lung cancer, of course, is heredity. We get it from our parents. Thus I would say, if you have a serious history of lung cancer in your family, you should NOT be smoking. If you don't have that sort of family history, you can probably smoke as much as you want without worrying about lung cancer. That's doesn't mean it's going to be a good thing for your overall health, but at least it probably won't kill you.

I've been watching my wife smoke more and more, just gaining momentum everyday......she has all of the excuses to justify it.

I notice she smokes more with her friends around, so I want to be anti-social, b/c I know she will smoke less.

It really hurts me/us.

I hate it to, and I know what you mean.

Almost every man in my social group has quit smoking in the past 5 years (I quit a long time ago), but only a few of the women have quit and some that did haven't remained non-smokers. I don't know why that is except for possibly how they quit. Most of the guys did it the macho "cold turkey" way whereas the women used patches and drugs. And I suspect that if it's too easy to quit, then that just gives you less incentive to stay quit.

All I know for sure is that for me, I had to want to quit for my own selfish reasons. I couldn't do it because I thought it was a good idea or to please someone else. I had to stubborn myself into quitting.

I used to have a girlfriend who was a heavy smoker. You want to know the meaning of terror? Try being in love with a chainsmoker who has a serious history of fatal cancer in her family. She used to to say to me, "It's my life." The siren song of the addict. But the truth is that her life didn't just belong to her. It belonged to me, and her sister, and her mother, and her friends, and anyone else who gave a damn whether she lived a long, healthy life or died young and in agony. When a smoker, or any other sort of addict says, "It's my life," what they're really saying is, "I don't care whether I hurt you. I don't care about the pain watching me damage or even kill myself causes you. Because I love my addiction more than I love you."

BTW, long after we broke up for other reasons, my ex did indeed quit smoking. I was talking on the phone with her, eight years later, we hadn't talked in years, and I said to her, "You know what occurs to me?"

"What's that?"

"I haven't heard you suck on a cigarette this entire conversation."

"That's because I quit smoking about six years ago."

"I....I want to tell you something, but I'm not sure I can do it without sounding condescending."

"What, 'Smoking is a nasty, filthy habit and I'm glad you don't do that anymore?'"

"No, what I wanted to say is....I"m proud of you."