Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which base plate for production?

z06pilot

:sight: I think you might want to send this up for a ruling to NROI. I was under the understanding that in production you could not use weighted base pads. This would be a modification to the magazine and it would no longer meet factory guidlines. App D4 states that unless spacifically authorized any modifications are prohibited. I take that to mean mags also. Any mods for production have to be approved and listed. :cheers:

check with NROI

new production rules say..

Prior restrictions on magazines have been

lifted. OEM and aftermarket magazines and

base-pads may be used. However, any and

all magazines used in competition, must fit

into the USPSA box while empty and

inserted in the handgun as described in item

7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate

board tape are specifically allowed on

magazines and base-pads

looks like they are using the box and weight of gun and mag to control those issues..

Edited by eerw

I've never seen a product that fits the requirements of being heavy enough to matter and light enough to be production legal. FWIW, I've never seen anybody shooting production with weighted base pads on a glock. It's probably possible, but I doubt the tiny amount of weight you could add(<2oz) would matter much. The weighted base pads I've seen are all extensions used for limited/open.

:cheers: According to front site, the new rules have yet to take effect. As of the last ruling on mags:

Can I use any after market magazine in my gun for Production? Also, may I grind off part of the base pad on my S&W M&P?

Ruling

After market magazines are allowed in Production, as long as they are dimensionally the same as the original magazine for that model gun? In other words, you may not use a Glock 33 round mag in an approved Glock gun, regardless of only loading 10 rounds in it. Grinding on the magazine base pad, would be an external modification and not allowed, the magazine when inserted, is a functioning part of the gun and the base pad is external.

Any changes to the mags are considered External mods to the gun once they are in the gun. There is no difference between this and addding wieght with a plug. :sight:

I know some of the better shooters use weighted baseplates on there mags, being either brass or aluminum. Any recomendations?

Not in Production, they don't.

I use stock Glock base pads and will continue to do so for Production division.

:cheers: According to front site, the new rules have yet to take effect. As of the last ruling on mags:

Can I use any after market magazine in my gun for Production? Also, may I grind off part of the base pad on my S&W M&P?

Ruling

After market magazines are allowed in Production, as long as they are dimensionally the same as the original magazine for that model gun? In other words, you may not use a Glock 33 round mag in an approved Glock gun, regardless of only loading 10 rounds in it. Grinding on the magazine base pad, would be an external modification and not allowed, the magazine when inserted, is a functioning part of the gun and the base pad is external.

Any changes to the mags are considered External mods to the gun once they are in the gun. There is no difference between this and addding wieght with a plug. :sight:

Is this correct? Can I use a G19 mag in a G26?

The reason I ask is that the Glock website specifically lists the G26 with 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, and 33 round capacities. So according to Glock, all those magazines are meant to be used in the G26. I think that as long as it fits the box it should be legal.

check with NROI

new production rules say..

Prior restrictions on magazines have been

lifted. OEM and aftermarket magazines and

base-pads may be used. However, any and

all magazines used in competition, must fit

into the USPSA box while empty and

inserted in the handgun as described in item

7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate

board tape are specifically allowed on

magazines and base-pads

looks like they are using the box and weight of gun and mag to control those issues..

How long until mouse trap base plates become available for most pistols? The Hi Power is the only one I know that has them because the mag disconnect commonly prevents magazines from dropping free.

browning_high_power_9mm_10_round_factory.jpg

Yes they all work in the G26, I don't think that the 33rd mag will fit in the box. :roflol:

But are the others legal to use in a G26??

Amidon previously ruled that was a no go.....

In light of the recent changes to the mag language, you might want to ask, being careful to point out that the Glock site lists the various different capacities, and asking if anything that makes weight and fits in the box can be legally used, if loaded to only ten round capacity.....

Thanks Nik. I guess this will have to go to J.A.

Seems to me that if a factory optional mag release is legal, and a factory optional slide release is legal, then a factory optional mag should be too.

Thanks again.

Thanks Nik. I guess this will have to go to J.A.

Seems to me that if a factory optional mag release is legal, and a factory optional slide release is legal, then a factory optional mag should be too.

Thanks again.

Yeah.......but we're talking about production here.....

I've learned to assume nothing......