Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HERTZ Rent-a-Vette

GIO

I had to go to LA on business and when I got off the Hertz shuttle there was a bright yellow and black rag top Vette parked in the Gold club line. I joked with the lady at the counter about upgrading my Mid-Size to the Vette and she said "you should, I'll see what I can do". After a few minutes she told me "you can have it for 40 bucks a day extra" as I was thinking about it she said "just do it". That was all the push I needed.

I hit the push button start and my rent-a-dream fired up. She only had 12 miles and she sounded sweet. I dropped the top and hit the road. I always wanted a Vette but one thing or another always stopped me. Closing in on 40 this was a nice mini mid-life crisis break.

Well, i can't say i followed a proper break-in procedure but i did have fun. Punching it under every underpass just to hear it scream. Breaking loose at stop lights, hitting PCH at 5:30 am. I got my money's worth for sure...

If you have a chance I highly recommend it. THANK YOU HERTZ...You may have saved my marriage

There is no way that I would rent a Vette. I would like it and then I would have to go buy one...

I learned my lessons from Open guns. I was perfectly happy with my Glocks until I tried an Open gun. Several grand later, I am shooting Open. I am perfectly happy with my Accord V-6, 6 speed coupe and I will be until I test drive something faster. <_<

You should have never rented it. I bet $20 that you have one for yourself within a years time. It's in your blood now! 2nd mortgage here we come. I LOVE vettes myself.

Not to steal your thead but I just thought I'd show off my baby since ya'll started a Vette thread. My '66 is still out in AZ getting a complete body off restoration. She should be back home in 2-3 weeks with a fresh 496 big block & Tremec T6 5 speed tranny. I can't wait!

66Outoftheshopforthefirsttimeinm-2.jpg

66Outoftheshopforthefirsttimeinmont.jpg

66Outoftheshopforthefirsttimeinm-4.jpg

66Outoftheshopforthefirsttimeinm-3.jpg

66Outoftheshopforthefirsttimeinm-5.jpg

Rent before you buy isn't a bad way to go. When it was time to replace my everyday beater I rented a Ford Focus for a few days to see if I could live with it. I'm strange in that I like small cars. Some small cars are 4 wheels and just enought sheet metal to keep the rain off you with the handling of seal blubber and the powertrain of a geriatric hampster. Others have some life in them. The Focus was not great but acceptable. Found an ex-rental for a good price and it's treating me well.

When I was in Cozumel for our honeymoon we rented a VW bug for two weeks, the classic fuhrers peoples car. Big time fun. I want one. I also want a Ford Model A, a MG Midget, a Triumph Spitfire.....

I had a really good weekend with a Hertz Shelby GT 350 once. Any company that would rent that car to a 21yr old Marine on a weekend pass has a big pair. Best I remember that weekend cost about 3 months pay, worth every dime.---------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Best accelerating, best braking, and best handling cars in the world are rental cars.!! In this case a damn near true statement.

I don't think it was a ZR1 vette...

my Z , 340hp,6 speed, and 4 seats makes Insurance a lot cheaper

post-4486-1247946238_thumb.jpg

SigLady, it was brand new 09 w/12 miles. It was the base engine/auto but it still kicked butt. It had a ZHZ tag which I think was a special run for HERTZ

I wish I had pics but this was so unplanned I didn't even think about it.

Vettes are awesome! I first wanted a 67 then I moved on to a triple black 70 454 now....I am thinking new off the line.

Just found this...If anyone is interested

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/index.j...corvettezhz.jsp

It had 436hp...eeesh...I NEED ONE

Vette is cool, until some dude in a '07 supercharged Mustang takes you. Then you realize its $75k and beatable by $35K. I'll stick with what I got.

But stomping on someone elses dime just cant be beat. Drive it like you stole it. :cheers:

Vette is cool, until some dude in a '07 supercharged Mustang takes you.

Until you have to turn!!! Then you chose... poorly... :roflol:

Seth (built an 07 Mustang CS with a Kenne Bell with my last business partner. Auto lasted 4000 miles before it puked. but that car is SILLY fun to drive)

Edited by Seth

Vette is cool, until some dude in a '07 supercharged Mustang takes you. Then you realize its $75k and beatable by $35K. I'll stick with what I got.

But stomping on someone elses dime just cant be beat. Drive it like you stole it. :cheers:

Come on man are you really gonna start the old Mustang vs Corvette thing again? Especially on a forum where there is no chance of an actual race?

I bet there is a guy out there with a supercharged '05 vette with less than 35k in his car that could smoke your 'stang. I have driven a $39k setup with a procharger that had 445 rwhp and you couldn't even keep the rear tires planted until you hit 100. So unless you spend a bunch of money on your mustangs tires and suspension it would be tough to have much of a race unless your willing to see where the top speed limits are. I bet that 35k Mustang wouldn't handle to well at 200 being as heavy and nonaerodynamic as they are. :sight:

Plus with a vette you don't see a 16 year old girl driving a V6 version of you car around town.

Damn it! I told myself I wasn't gonna pick on your Mustang. Oops I just couldn't help myself. :sick:

I'm sure your ride is probably pretty sweet. I like mustangs too but if I had to choose I'd go with the bowtie 1st. Someday I will own a red '67 Mustang fastback though.

With my vette, it felt like the controls were well mapped out. Everything was within reach.

With the mustang, with the seat placed in the proper position to reach the steering wheel (close but not too close), I felt like I needed ape arms to reach 5th gear. The shifter is too far forward.

The seats in the Corvette were also more supporting. You sat in them. In the mustang, you sat on top of the seat. There is a difference.

The list could go on for a whole page. There is a reason for that price gap, no matter how one tries to compensate by adding power to the lesser car.

Mustangs are super tough as well. Grew up in the "5.0" vs IROC days...sad to say the Stangs were faster but T-top Camaros cruising the Jersey shore were much cooler.

400$ a day...eeesh. I paid 40 a day extra for 3 days (120 all in). I think a lot of dealing can be done at the pick up desk depending on how many are sitting in the lot. I am a charming SOB so maybe that helped as well...:-)