Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for cast bullet

Jimdoe

I am currently loading Titegroup, 180gr truncated cast bullet for 40 cal bullets, but this recipe generated a lot of smoke. At one match the rest of the guys started calling me smokey. I didn't believe them at first but after watching the video, it seemed like I was sending smoke signals or something.

Anyway, does anyone have tried different powder with less smoke but still make major? Thanks in advance.

Jim.

Type of gun/barrel & Length?

Neal in AZ

Thanks for all the response guys. I'm gonna give WST a try. Now does anyone have a loading data for it for 180gr bullet for major loads? Thanks.

Type of gun/barrel & Length?

Neal in AZ

Thanks for all the response guys. I'm gonna give WST a try. Now does anyone have a loading data for it for 180gr bullet for major loads? Thanks.

Sorry, I should have given you all the info. Gonna be using it for 40 limited Edge 5" bull barrel.

I have only been reloading for about 6mo now, and I've been reloading 40 cal since then ( got the original recipe from the previous dillon owner). Now that shooting supplies are getting expensive, I have to adjust and compensate.

Thanks.

Jim

Edited by Jimdoe

Thinking Jimdoe runs a G35 and my vote goes to Unique.

Not yet Jim, but I've being pulled towards that direction. I have a G22 and once I have the replacement barrel then I'm going to run cast bullets on it as well.

I'm running moly's out of a Benny Hill Fat Free and an STI Edge with Solo 1000. WST also worked well, but WST is reverse temp sensitive and it gets damn cold here in CO at times....

180gr Black Bullet Int.

4.7gr of Solo 1000

1.185-1.19 OAL

Wolf/Fed/Win Small Rifle primers or wolf/fed/win small pistol primers

mixed brass

I've shot N320, Unique, Clays, WST, and Universal Clays with 40 cal moly bullets. They all will work. I bought 24 lbs of Solo 1000 a couple of weeks ago and am finishing off my initial 8lb can.

Edited to add: lead and moly bullets are essentially the same with one being totally coated with the lube vs a ring full of lube.

Edited by SA Friday

I shoot 185gr Molly Bullets with WST at 4.8gr and have also shot N320 at 4.4gr oal is 1.185 5" STI Edge.

I use TiteGroup with 200 (Zero) gr jacketed 40 at 4.3gr and in 9 mm with 125gr (MTG) at 4.3 gr as well. For 180gr 40 Zero Jacketed 5.1gr WST.

I would say WST is just half as smokey as TiteGroup and never noticed any smoke with N320. WST is cleaner than TiteGroup.

i am shooting the 170 gr precision bullets with titegroup and also am tired of the smoke... i went to precisions website and they recomended WSF or 231/HP38, im going to give both a try to see which I like better... but they did recomend the slower burning powders to the faster ones.

I'm gonna get a list of all your suggestion guys and see what the gun shop has available. Then I'll experiment from what ever they have available. I might have to order the powder if worse comes to worse. Thank you everyone for providing all the information and making it easier for me.

Thanks,

Jim.

i am shooting the 170 gr precision bullets with titegroup and also am tired of the smoke... i went to precisions website and they recomended WSF or 231/HP38, im going to give both a try to see which I like better... but they did recomend the slower burning powders to the faster ones.

In my experience, the slower burning powders such as WSF has significantly more recoil impulse (felt recoil) than a faster burning powder. Not that this is a bad thing, but I prefer the the recoil feel of the faster burning powders.