Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED Durability - how does it hold up to hard knocks?

jaredr

INTRO:

have started practicing rifle a bit more diligently, and my PACT markIV is just too big to use for any position shooting (prone, kneeling, sitting, etc.). Either i'm beating myself up banging into it as I try and get into position, or other pieces of gear (typically rifle mag pouches on my belt) are banging it up.

I like it as a chrono (see no need to replace it for that function), and don't want to finally break it with this sort of practice and be out a timer AND a charger. fingure i am better just buying a different timer (ideally smaller, able to hold up to getting knocked around) and save the PACT just for chrono use.

...and THE QUESTION

Have read good things about the CED 7000, and like the idea that you can rotate it on it's accessory clip to read the time without taking it off your belt. Question for me is how durable is it and how will it stand up to getting knocked around a bit?

i have never seen one up close, wondering if other units like the PACT club timer or the CE pocket pro (which appear to have a bit "bulkier" plastic housing) might be more durable. concern here is that I'd like to start practicing more seriously for 3 gun, and even just dry firing, a lot of the drills will involve movement that will (potentially) knock the timer around a bit more then how i used to practice for handgun (i.e. timer on belt in standing position, drawing and firing against par time).

Have read up what I can on the CED 7000, it looks like it has all the features I would need (and probably quite a bit more). With the pact, I particularly liked the PAR & benchmark times. i'm practicing a couple of drills that have you start standing and then (on the clock) get into a seated, prone, etc. position and fire "X" shots within a time period (e.g. standing to prone with 10 rounds on target in 1 min or less). Find the combination of PAR time beeps and benchmark beeps on the PACT help me measure time spent getting into position and then develop a cadence for remainging shots. believe this can be achieved with the CED multiple PAR times feature (please correct if I am off base on that).

thanks in advance, appreciate anyone's feedback about their experience with how well the 7000 has held up for them.

all best,

jared

Edited by jaredr

I have had mine for a couple years and love it. The only real issue I have is having to hit the "review" button before you can start the timer again. My 7000 has been in my range bag almost the entire time I've owned it and my bag gets a lot of use. Get yourself one of the rubber sleeves if you get one. It should help protect the unit.

I've had mine for a year and the review button stopped working. Its going back to CED next week to get replaced hopefully.

Its gets quite a bit of use and is knocked around a bunch.

2 year warranty so it should be replaced/fixed for free.

The only real issue I have is having to hit the "review" button before you can start the timer again.

You can turn that off, if you like. (It might be a good idea to keep it on when RO'ing, to help prevent bumping the start button while running a shooter and loosing their run.)

Here is a copy (pdf)of the manual: http://www.cedhk.com/download.php?oid=9074...amp;size=615008

I am on my 2nd CED7000. The microphone quit working on the 1st one. It was replaced under warranty but it took a long time to get that done.

I find myself wishing that I'd kept my Pact Club timer II. That thing was tough as nails.

My CED just died last week. Since I didn't buy it new, I have no receipt and by their policy no warranty. I'm REALLY torn. I'd like to buy a Pact Club timer, ast its made in America and they offer a lifetime warranty, but the reviews I've read of it aren't great.

I was disappointed the the display went out so easily. I was no nice to it, but I didn't crack the LCD crystal...the display just disappeared.

I've had mine for about 2 years. It quit working completely. I have no idea where the sales receipt is so I guess I may not be able to get warranty service if it is available. Time to find another timer.

Art

For those of you who say your CED 7000 "quit working", it probably just needs to be reset - rebooted actually. If you have one of the newer ones, look on the back for a small hole in the upper right corner. Insert a paperclip into that whole. That will cause the timer to reboot. If you have an earlier model, you can reboot it by removing the two screws on the back and gently separating the two halves. Then carefully put them back together. That cuts power from the battery and reboots the timer.

I've had to reboot my personal CED 7000 a couple of times. My club has three and I just got a fourth today. I've had to reboot several and I've had to send one in to get the start button fixed. I'm about to send in another for the same problem. They can be a little fragile, but we love them.

If you go to Steve Anderson's site, you can see a Pact Club Timer (II?) that he beat the heck out of. It still worked, but was busted up some. http://andersonshooting.com/products.htm I always like the Club Timer, but it wasn't a feature rich as the Mk-IV or the CED 7000. It is smaller than the Mk-IV, but much larger than the CED 7000.

I have a Pact Mk-IV (older version, not the XP). I always loved it and I used it to run lots of shooters over the years...in some pretty crappy conditions.

The CED 7000 is about 1/6 the size of the Pact Mk-IV, with it's rubber shell added on. I can wear it around the neck, or on the wrist strap (like a watch). I am pretty sure that I have seen shooters wear them on their upper arm during stages at a Major (top Production shooter from Pac NW ?).

Really, they are small enough and light enough that you could rig them up and mount them about anywhere...and keep them out of harms way.

Check out the link to the manual that I posted (above). They offer up some multiple PAR features that may be on track with the capability of the Pact Mk-IV.

The CED 7000 has one low voltage output jack. I think that it works in conjunction with the buzzer. So, it lacks a couple of the jacks that the Pact Mk-IV has. It will (with the RF option) work with a Big Board display...and the like.

I really haven't used my Pact Mk-IV in a few years, favoring the CED 7000.

I have had 2 over the last 2 years. One quit, was found to have a bad part and a new one was recieved in less than a week. The second had a bad start button but was lost before I could get it sent in.

I plan on buying another soon as I like them more than the others I've tried. I shoot around 50,000 rounds per year but only pistol, not 3-gun.

Good Luck

I had one of the early models - before the reset button was a part of the unit - it died. It was replaced quickly under warranty. The replacement has been used quite a bit in the last 2 years, it wears one of the silicone skins. Can't beat the small size.

You can change the need for pressing the review button in the menu settings, also can setup an RO mode that simplfies the menus.

I bought mine from Hit Factor Shooting Supply.

I had an opportunity to pull mine apart. There was no reset button but inside there was the connector that goes from the battery to the circuit board. I unpplugged the battery and plugged it back in which caused a reboot just like SteveJ suggested. It came up running. TA DA!

Art

jaredr,

When I needed to practice going prone, I would just set my MKIV to started with a delayed, fixed-time beep, and set it on the ground next to where I would end up shooting.

be

man, do i feel foolish.

"I went to the doctor and said - Doc, it hurts when i move like this, and the doc said OK so don't move like that". Ba-dump bump <cymbal noise>.

Grateful for everyone's detailed replies, looks like the CED 7000 woudl probably hold up pretty well (more so with the silicon cover) and the owner's manual indicates it'll probably do everything i need. However, as Brian suggested, another option (if all I'm doing is using it for par timing to practice getting into position and developing a cadence for timed fire), is just don't wear it where while you practice so you (and it) won't get beat up.

Once again, common sense and obvious simple solutions conspire to rob me of the oppty for buying new toys. i'll just put the $115 or so i've saved into powder and projectiles (and primers if I can find any).

thanks again for everyone's assistance, really appreciate people taking the time to comment.

best regards,

jared

I have had mine for a couple years and love it. The only real issue I have is having to hit the "review" button before you can start the timer again. My 7000 has been in my range bag almost the entire time I've owned it and my bag gets a lot of use. Get yourself one of the rubber sleeves if you get one. It should help protect the unit.

You know you can set it so that you don't have to hit review.

• 2 weeks later...