Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ice cream....

joecichlid

gotoneoftheseatyourrange.jpg

I just wish I would have gotten a photo of the long line before I got there with all the shooters, gun and gun belts on standing there with their money out like a gaggle of 8 year olds. lol Was for sure a great sight.

Joe W.

Thankfully the guy didn't have the music on when he came down the range road. There were a LOT of people trying to figure out what on earth the driver was doing when he came down the road (about a mile and a half down a private road). When he pulled into the range itself you should have seen everyone go running to the truck, you would have swarn he pulled into a grade school playground and yelled free ice cream. lol

Joe W.

Thankfully the guy didn't have the music on when he came down the range road. There were a LOT of people trying to figure out what on earth the driver was doing when he came down the road (about a mile and a half down a private road). When he pulled into the range itself you should have seen everyone go running to the truck, you would have swarn he pulled into a grade school playground and yelled free ice cream. lol

Joe W.

YUMMY

Yummy was right. Although most went for the ice cream I went for a frozen fruit juice thing on a stick. It was lime and salt flavored. Odd I know but think about it, this thing was a shot of taquilla away from a margerita on a stick. ROFL It was not too sweet and just hit the spot with me.

Joe W.

I might even be able to get my wife out to the range if I told her that the ice cream truck came by. She would eat ice cream for every meal if she had the option (I'm glad she's also a runner).

LOL Maybe the next time you are out driving around and see an ice cream truck pass the driver an address and tell him what time to be there with a full truck. Chances are he will sell that thing empty in no time at all. lol

Joe W.

LOL Maybe the next time you are out driving around and see an ice cream truck pass the driver an address and tell him what time to be there with a full truck. Chances are he will sell that thing empty in no time at all. lol

Joe W.

That's not a bad idea, maybe I could sell him on a 10% commission/finders fee. He could pay in push pops.

Ahhh, ice cream. Love the stuff. I'm just finishing up a long session of making fresh ice cream. So far I've made 4 batches of choc. (each different in flavor), 2 of Raspberry, 2 Strawberry and 1 of Raspberry-Strawberry. The last one was an error as I grabbed a container of puree that I thought was Raspberry and started making ice cream and didn't notice the error until it was to late.

Today I'll finish the project with one or two batches of Blackberry, 1 batch of Vanilla and one more Choc. Also am going to make a batch of Orange Sherbet. The other Choc. used an egg custard. For 3 batches I used Special Dark syrup and one I used Cocoa powder. Then layered in Caramel in one and Choc. Fudge in an other.

Some family members do not like the custard based ice cream so I make some Choc. and Vanilla without and just use Half & Half and Cream.

My freezer is almost full. So if anyone would like some fresh made, home made ice cream come on over.

DMS42, there really is an art to making good ice cream isn't there? I need to get my butt into the kitchen and see about making a batch or two myself. :)

Joe W.

Even though it is the salt brine that does the freezing of the cream, for some reason the finer the ice is crushed the better the texture is of the finished ice cream.

On a whim I got out a thermometer and found out that the temp of the brine was 20 degrees. But that can vary and depends on the amount of ice and salt that is being used.

Total batches so far is 15. The blackberry turned out so good that I'm going to make some Blackberry sherbet. I was going to do that Monday, but other things have happened along the way. Maybe Friday.

DMS42, there really is an art to making good ice cream isn't there? I need to get my butt into the kitchen and see about making a batch or two myself. :)

Joe W.

Even though it is the salt brine that does the freezing of the cream, for some reason the finer the ice is crushed the better the texture is of the finished ice cream.

On a whim I got out a thermometer and found out that the temp of the brine was 20 degrees. But that can vary and depends on the amount of ice and salt that is being used.

Total batches so far is 15. The blackberry turned out so good that I'm going to make some Blackberry sherbet. I was going to do that Monday, but other things have happened along the way. Maybe Friday.

This is kind of off the subject but it involves ice cream. I remember a quote, sorta, that I believe was by Reggie Jackson talking about Nolan Ryan's fastball. It went something like this: "Everybody loves ice cream.......but no one likes having it shoved down their throat by the gallon." I guess it could refer to TGO's dominance in USPSA.

DMS42, The brine/ice mix does have something to do with the formation of the ice crystals but chilling your base mixture for several hours (even over night is good) before you start mixing it will effect the size of the crystals. Gotta love watching Alton Brown on The Food Network. lol

jasmap, Glad to see you got that mag sold before I hit a family member up for a loan. :roflol:

Joe W.