Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Southern Food

kimel

And for those "back east"...Carl's Jr is the same darn franchise as Hardee's. Same logo. Same commercials. Same food (mostly).

Hardee's and Carls Jr are NOT the same thing... they look the same, but the food is totally different TRUST ME - Hardee's are a real disappointment - where's my low cal good for you California type chicken sandwiches for criminy's sake!!!!!! The food here in the South is really damned fattening (and salty!)

The food here in the South is really damned fattening (and salty!)

<Homer mode>Hmmm, salty! I want some deep fried catfish w/ hush puppies, french fries and iced tea laden with enough sugar to kill most diabetics! </homer mode>

-ld

We have learned, the hard way, to order UNSWEET tea!!!!

McDonalds chicken sandwiches are all breaded!!!!

I ordered sirloin tips last night and that's what I got, covered in gravy, with a PILE of mashed potatoes, covered in gravy. Not a single vegetable in sight!

I did see what kinda looked like broccoli, but it was GREY, not green!

Gonna take some more research to find the "good for you" places, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Fried catfish and hushpuppies are yummy though! (Don't eat the okra!)

Shooter Grrl

It is like caviar, it is an acquired taste. You must have been introduces to okra in the stewed form at first, not the fried form.

Stewed is pretty nasty, even for a native like me, but it works wonders as a natural laxative.

You won't go hungry in New Orleans.

Don't ask what is in the sausage either.

Yeah my wife has gotten me to drink unsweetened tea most of the time but deep down inside I think it just tastes like murky water.

Healthy food huh? How about a nice rack of Memphis style baby back ribs? They do them with a dry rub that just rocks. Add some baked apples, french fries, and an enormous glass of tea with like a 1/8 cup of sugar in. Repeat as necessary.

Wow. I just gained three pounds writing this post!

-ld

The real problem is that I actually really really really LOVE southern cooking. But good grief, it is definitely not healthy, and it's been a HUGE struggle not to put the weight back on that I had just lost before we left Kalibanfornia! Not to mention, I still NEED to lose MORE :wacko:

Yeah losing weight isn't easy in the south. You may want to avoid country fried steak, fried corn on the cob, fried okra, fried chicken, chicken fried steak (often reffered to as chicken fried chicken).... hey, are you noticing a theme here? :P

-ld

We have learned, the hard way, to order UNSWEET tea!!!!

That absolutely cracks me up. I spent so much time travelling in the South that when I was in a restaurant here in the West, I would reflexively specify "unsweetened" tea. One waitress just gave me the world's snottiest look and said loudly, "It's ALL unsweetened, sir!!!!"

For good fast food eats, try Chick-Fil-A. It's a southern institution. The first time I went to one, the manager absolutely could not believe that I'd never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A. Pretty soon the whole restaurant was razzing me. The one restaurant that I always had good luck with getting a halfway healthy meal at was the Cracker Barrel.

Anybody apologized for using "Damn Yankees" around you yet?

Cracker Barrel has awesome Chicken Fried Steak!!!! I actually ate the stuff 3 meals in a row the first day we got here. My Grandma used to make it for me and I missed it!

Jhgtyre what really cracked me up was the BREADED FRENCH FRIES!

No - Californians aren't considered Yanks - it would appear that the mason dixon line doesn't extend all the way to the coast.

I did have the bank teller yesterday ask me where my accent was from :D

Chicken sandwich? Why the heck would I want that? No red meat in one of those.

Now a double bacon double cheese double patty and double chicken breast burger...hmmmm........ :P Hmmm...does the "healthy chicken" counteract the bacon, cheese and red meat at all? What if I add double lettuce, onions and tomato? ;)

I have to stay the heck out of the south for two reasons:

1) Humidity and I do not get along :(

2) I LOVE southern food (except okra...blech) and would be dead from overeating (and the heat/humidity) in short order.

My bro-in-law lives in Alabama and he has been bugging us to come visit...I should probably do the adkins diet thing for a decade first. :(

Cracker Barrel has awesome Chicken Fried Steak!!!! I actually ate the stuff 3 meals in a row the first day we got here. My Grandma used to make it for me and I missed it!

Jhgtyre what really cracked me up was the BREADED FRENCH FRIES!

No - Californians aren't considered Yanks - it would appear that the mason dixon line doesn't extend all the way to the coast.

I did have the bank teller yesterday ask me where my accent was from :D

Yeah, the breaded french fries are death aren't they? Oddly enough the absolute best chicken fried steak I have ever had in a restaurant is here in AZ. The TexAZ Grill at 16th and Bethany Home is out of this world. For other southern foods we have to go to Mrs. Whites Cafe in Phoenix. If it is good enough for Charles Barkley it couldn't be all that bad. It is also the only place in AZ I have ever been given the option of having sweet (normal) tea.

-ld

ps - I had a friend who worked at the Cracker Barrel in Murfreesboro TN. and we always reffered to his place of employment as "The Crack House." :lol:

Shooter Grrl

All Southern food isn't fried, nor is it fattening. How about grilled snapper, sauteed shrimp among others. When you go to New Orleans, try Commanders Palace, and get the oysters Rockefeller...make you slap someone for another one.

Beautiful house BTW.

Chicken fried steak is an art. You just need to find the best artist...

It may be 80 degrees in the morning in the South, but we can shoot all year long.