Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds will a M&P40 last?

SavageMOA

Assuming I'm shooting minor loads, (around 130-135 pf) how many rounds will an M&P last before I should consider a new competition gun? I'm talking about the firearm as a whole. I've got just over 2k rounds through it, so I'm due for a recoil spring change. If I maintain it well, as I do, what is the realistic service life?

10k?

100k?

Edited by SavageMOA

I agree about the lifetime warranty. Should last forever. But, how long will it perform like new is altogether different. If smith will keep making it like new over its lifetime then I guess it should a long long time.

I've got just over 2k rounds through it, so I'm due for a recoil spring change.

If I maintain it well, as I do, what is the realistic service life?

To the first statement, no you really aren't due for a recoil spring change. I've seen a Glock go 100K with the factory recoil spring and I'm pretty sure that Todd G's torture test didn't involve changing the recoil spring and I think it's around 60K now. If it makes you feel better change it once a year or something like that, but it's not really necessary....especially with Minor PF ammo.

I'd expect that with a normal diet of non +P or +P+ ammo it will likely be shooting just fine for at least 50K and probably something like 75-100K. If you shoot it until the oil is cooking off the barrel, or other similar acts, it probably won't maintain it's accuracy quite that long, but it's really hard to tell.

In short, I'd say shoot the snot out of it and if it starts to have the accuracy fall off, send it back to Smith and let them take a look....but I suspect it will be a long time before that happens.

It will wear out after about $20,000 in ammo. :closedeyes:

It's true. Well true that it will probably last you at least $20k worth of ammo. Probably longer.

I'm up to about the 14,000-15,000 round mark. At about 12,000 I had to replace my striker spring as i was starting to get frequent light strikes, but that was also with the first generation L-shaped striker rather than the newer j-shaped one. (replaced the whole assembly). I replaced the recoil spring as well for good measure. The gun shoots like ti did when it was new.

Edited by raz-0