Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clark's Custom Cabron Fiber Handguard

Nemo

I just obtained from a frined a take-off Clark's Carbon Fiber handguard and have installation questions. As I recevied it the aluminium barrel nut came half-way in/out of the CF tube, now...

Should I treat this part as a one-piece or a two-piece handguard?

Should the barrel nut be all the way in the CF tube, quasi permanently attached and the whole ensemble be installed (torqued) as one part, or should I install the aluminum part and then press fit the tube?

If the CF tube needs to be "glued" to the nut what adhesive should I use?

As always thanks for your help!

B)

I just obtained from a frined a take-off Clark's Carbon Fiber handguard and have installation questions. As I recevied it the aluminium barrel nut came half-way in/out of the CF tube, now...

Should I treat this part as a one-piece or a two-piece handguard?

Should the barrel nut be all the way in the CF tube, quasi permanently attached and the whole ensemble be installed (torqued) as one part, or should I install the aluminum part and then press fit the tube?

If the CF tube needs to be "glued" to the nut what adhesive should I use?

As always thanks for your help!

B)

Go to their website as it lists the special glue required. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/clk750instr.htm this gets you to the installation page for that handguard

Is the nut stuck to the handguard or free of it?

If it is free of it, an industrial type heat gun will do it. The epoxy will flake off after just a few minutes.

If it is stuck to the handguard i would call clark and ask them. I do not know what resin their handguard is made from. It should take the heat, but I am not certain and would hate to have you ruin it.

when you slip the glued tube on the nut, theres enough play to where it can lean as it cures, and the barrel will not be dead center of the tube.

I stick the upper in a vice pointing up, then make a plastic bag skirt over the receiver so glue doesnt drip down on it while curing.

My spacer is just paper towels stuffed around the end of the barrel at the end of the tube so its relatively straight.

Check it while its half cured and trim off any semi hard glue that gathers on the back end of the barrel nut, by the front of the upper receiver.

Well, I ordered the Devcon S-31 epoxy as recommended by Clark's. I could've used the JB Weld that I have here but resisted the temptation. I wish this tube would've thread onto the nut and not just glued, but I didn't know better. Then again if it's good enough for Jerry M...

Question to those who use and/or have used this handguard: How satisfied are you with it? Is this glue job something that needs to be redone periodically or does it hold pretty good?

Ive got one on my SBR.

Works well so far.

Seems to be ok after getting bounced around some.

I think the design would be better with a threaded end as opposed to a glue on. . .

when you slip the glued tube on the nut, theres enough play to where it can lean as it cures, and the barrel will not be dead center of the tube.

I stick the upper in a vice pointing up, then make a plastic bag skirt over the receiver so glue doesnt drip down on it while curing.

My spacer is just paper towels stuffed around the end of the barrel at the end of the tube so its relatively straight.

Check it while its half cured and trim off any semi hard glue that gathers on the back end of the barrel nut, by the front of the upper receiver.

Got it. Thanks Mike!

Seven years and counting. No trouble. I run a VTak sling on their sling stud. No trouble with it holding up. I have put on three of these. I've never taken one off.

Mhearn

I made a round spacer out of wood that just fit over the barrel and inside the handguard to keep it straight. I put a JP rail on the handguard as well for the close range sight. Worked well, I'd use the handguard again.

I used Gorilla Glue on all 3 of mine and 2 for friends builds, all holding strong and the oldest is 4 seasons now. I'm not exactly real gentle on my stuff during a course of fire either.. :rolleyes: Two of them have slings either on the bottom or the left side or both and no issues. Like Mike Cyrwus I also wad up a paper towel as a spacer to hold it in place.

I just re worked a hand guard,,, re assembled it,,, test fired the gun to make sure it worked,,

I was going to use a good two part epoxy,,,,

For those of you that have done, it,,, is that good enough... or do I need to,, get the high speed glue.

Jim M ammo

Must resitst temptation to use Gorilla glue... I already ordered the Devon...

Waiting for the Devon 31-S to show up...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Must resitst temptation to use Gorilla glue... I already ordered the Devon...

Waiting for the Devon 31-S to show up...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

at the end of the day,,, still a two part Epoxy,,,

interesting to see how it holds up to heat.

Jim M ammo