Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Mag Extensions for L10

Graham Smith

Thicker base pads for use with a magwell. I tried my G35 with a used THE magwell at the range on Saturday. I'm still not sure I'm going to like having something pushing my hand up, but it's going to take some experimenting. One thing I do notice is that while it is possible to seat a mag with the magwell in place, it takes a much more deliberate action.

My first foray into Limited is going to be L10. I want to be able to swap back and forth between Production and Limited with minimal equipment changes and think that the discipline of having to deal with 10 round mags will be good for me. So the question is, what is an inexpensive way to handle the problem of mags that are too short. There are a couple options I have seen.

One is to get the Taylor Freelance brass drop away floor plates - but at $100 for my 5 mags, that's not going to be my first choice.

Arredondo extensions are about $88 for 5.

Glock and Pearce both make +2 extensions for about $10 each ($50 total)

Sherer and ProMag seem to be the cheapest with +2 extensions at 2 for $10 ($30 total)

Of course, I could always buy good +5 extensions, but at $35 each that's $175.

So, am I missing any options?

Having faced the same issue --- and NJ's 15 round mag cap --- I set up a set of four mags with +0 baseplates. The fifth and sixth mags have regular Glock bases on them, the first of those is my Barney, the second my start mag. If I run through the four extended pad reload mags and need to shove the Barney back in the gun, I've already made four mag changes and shot somewhere around 51 rounds --- I figure at that point I might as well take the time to be deliberate about seating the mag.....

Seriously -- 4 mags with pads for your first four pouches is probably all you need....

Having faced the same issue --- and NJ's 15 round mag cap --- I set up a set of four mags with +0 baseplates.

+0 baseplates? The Arrendondo ones?

I lucked out and found 4 no-name aluminum basepads in the classifieds here, at a fraction of the Arredondo's, which I probably would have bought otherwise, based on my experience with the +5s....

One option I had not considered was to stick Jentra mag bumper pads on my magazines. That would add a little extra length which is really all the +0 pads would do.

But since I want to be able to switch between L10 and Production, would having bumper pads on my mags make them illegal for Production? They don't add weight or additional "gripping" surface but interpretations of the rules aren't always that simple.

You are not allowed to use bumper pads on mags in Production. Only stock mags are legal. Hope this helps.

What would help is for someone to tell me they are legal. But I think I'm going to have to settle for your answer as being correct. Thanks.

Doesn't Glock make a factory +2 mag extension? I am not sure how much they cost but they should be legal in production. They would give you the length you need and you wouldn't have to swap out the basepad to switch from Limited to Production.

Just pick up some stock Glock base pads so that you can switch them out for the ones you glued extensions on to go back to production legal.

Richard

PS: You might find some free on the forum.

Edited by chirpy

Doesn't Glock make a factory +2 mag extension? I am not sure how much they cost but they should be legal in production. They would give you the length you need and you wouldn't have to swap out the basepad to switch from Limited to Production.

That's the third item on my list above.

Just pick up some stock Glock base pads so that you can switch them out for the ones you glued extensions on to go back to production legal.

That's what I was thinking. Of course, that then puts the price back up pretty even with the Glock +2 's

So, for anyone following this, the options are pretty much as follows:

Sherer and ProMag +2 : $30

Glock base pads with Jentra bumpers : $42

Glock or Pearce +2 or Glockmeister +0 : $45 - $50

Arredondo +0 : $88

Arredondo +3 : $110

Arredondo +5 : $175.

It almost makes sense to spend the extra money to get the +5 extensions now, knowing that I can probably use them (or sell them) later. I could also save a few bucks with 2 +3 and 3 +5 extensions ($150)

Sometimes I'm too frugal for my own good.

• 2 weeks later...
Would these work for you? Are these legal for L-10???

Never even knew they existed. I think they should be legal for Limited as long as the total length is less than 140.25mm. And at $5 each, the price is right.

The only two things I have to think about would be the unusual shape at the end of the mag and how well they would stay on a mag when it is dropped. But they are certainly interesting. Thanks.

I have Taylor Freelance, Arredondo, and Glock +2's. I really like the Arredondos, but if you want something to take on and off get the Glock +2s. They are about the same length as the Arredondos and are easy to take off and on.

The new Production rules allow for aftermarket base-pads but the catch is that the magazine (with the base-pads) inserted into the gun, must fit into the USPSA box.

Rule 21.7:

Prior restrictions on magazines have been lifted. OEM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may be used. However, any and all magazines used in competition, must fit into the USPSA box while empty and inserted in the handgun as described in item 7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate board tape are specifically allowed on magazines and base-pads

The new Production rules allow for aftermarket base-pads but the catch is that the magazine (with the base-pads) inserted into the gun, must fit into the USPSA box.

So, just under 9" total height. BTW, who comes up with these dimensions: 8.938" x 6" x 1.625" ?

So, just under 9" total height. BTW, who comes up with these dimensions: 8.938" x 6" x 1.625" ?

The IPSC Genie. :roflol:

• 3 years later...

I run TF's in all my mags, but I don't change them out. Not that I have a ton of mags, or anything, but I only shoot open/lim/lim10. The TF's will need a little "tweaking", but they will hold up to almost any abuse, which is why I use them. They are expensive, but I have full confidence that I won't have to replace them any time soon.

If its your goal to have basepads that you can change out quickly, or at least simply, then I would advise against the TF's. a buddy of mine runs Dawson's with a Dawson Ice and has zero issues. I know you're trying to stay cost effective, but those are the only two I have experience with.

BTW....I have a butt load of stock baseplates I have zero issues parting with.