Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW's Bar Stock Thumb Safety

Seth

I was lucky enough to get one of the new EGW thumb safety from Nate at the VA-MD Section Match. All I can say is WOW.

Its substantially thicker than the STI, Ed Brown or Springfield Safeties I have on other guns. SUBSTANTIALLY.

And like EGW's other parts, there's plenty of meat for fitting and trimming to perfection. It was a quick fit and will be great on my Lim gun after I get it hard chromed. If you don't need an ambi, this this is the BOMB!

post-12328-1245875181_thumb.jpg

post-12328-1245875195_thumb.jpg

Looks like quality. Does everyone prefer the lever to have an "elbow" in the middle and run parallel to the slide? Other than Kimber, and the old Wilson, just about all of them now have the same shape. Everyone wants their grip as high as possible, but the safety could be quite a bit higher.

sv has an ambi from barstock for the lefties. I know since i have one :) though im not a lefty

I know, I already have one on my s.s.

I still have to peen down the female part of the joint every so often because I ride it pretty hard.

I was lucky enough to get one of the new EGW thumb safety from Nate at the VA-MD Section Match. All I can say is WOW.

Its substantially thicker than the STI, Ed Brown or Springfield Safeties I have on other guns. SUBSTANTIALLY.

And like EGW's other parts, there's plenty of meat for fitting and trimming to perfection. It was a quick fit and will be great on my Lim gun after I get it hard chromed. If you don't need an ambi, this this is the BOMB!

Great pictures! What do you do on a stage where you have to transfer the gun to left hand (like a classifier)? I guess you take the safety off just before the transfer?

• 3 weeks later...

I have not tried the EGW ,but anyone looking for a wide ambi should try a ED Brown wide extended ambi safety. It's 7mm wide x 1"long on both sides. I actually had to trim some of the right side pad to clear my strong hand,but it still has plenty of purchase for weak hand shooting. The fit and finish of this product is great and looks really good.

Edited by KING 45ACP

now if they would make it in ambi.

Call George and ask him, seriously. I've been after him to make one, although I was hoping for a King's style hammer pin safety. EGW would do it right. They've made 2 special order items for me that required less engneering. If he hears from enough people, I bet he'd do it. I'd buy a few.