Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Finish For Corrosion Protection ???

jeff89

My para is developing light rust on the frame everywhere my hands usually touch it. I've had enough and have decided to send it out to be refinished (along with the mags). I'm thinking about hardcrome, but was wondering if there was anything better out there for corrosion protection.

Am I the only one with this problem??? I clean my guns fairly regularly and finish with either a silicon rag or a thin coat of oil to the entire gun. Its usually stored in a pelican case with some dissecstant (spelling bad I know) The rust is only on the frame which has a different finish on it then the slide. The gun is a P-14 Limited and about 5 years old.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Jeff

I've seen hard chrome rust. Actually, it's not the chrome itself that rusts, but the finish has micro-cracks in it that allow corrosion causing material to reach the steel underneath. When that happens you wind up with this brown crud bubbling up from underneath the hard chrome. And it looks like holy hell when that happens.

If ultimate corrosion resistance is your goal, try Birdsong's Black-T.

According to their marketing blurbs, Metalife and Armoloy use a "thin dense coating" process that results in a finish without the micro-cracks of conventional hard chrome. Whether that's really true, and if it would really improve corrosion resistance is anyone's guess, but it sounds good to me.

Nickel and the various polymer finishes provide extremely good corrosion protection, but aren't nearly as durable as chrome (though nickel isn't bad).

If it were me, I'd try Metalife first, and if that were ever to rust, I'd bite the bullet and pay the $300 for Robar NP3 (nickel+teflon).

Tripp did my edge and mags. The gun has been perfect!!!! however the mags are a differant story, not bad by any means just a few small bubbles. Still very happy !! I am one of those guys whos hands swet alot. I would do it again..looks great and very functional.

good luck with who ever you choose

blue edge ;)

My sweat is incredibly acid (I can't wear plated jewelry etc. without it turning green within a day or two). I had a similar problem on the beavertail safety of my parkarized Springfield 1911. I talked with my gunsmith after the frustration of cleaning became too much and he suggested a thorough cleaning, and then applying paste wax to the beavertail safety. Oddly enough it worked like a dream! :D

My Para(stainless) will get some rust on the slide and back of frame occasionally. I have done the paste wax thing and it seems to work well. Hard Chrome is the way to go for rust resistance. There may be others that work as well or better( not storing it in salt water are you?) but it looks good on a firearm. TXAG

Paste wax thing...is that Flitz?

Thanks.

I don't think Flitz is considered a wax. I would imagine almost any car wax would work but I've just recently come across a new wax type product called Blue Wonder Armadillo which is specifically formulated for firearms. I think that Midway carries the Blue Wonder products.

Paste wax thing...is that Flitz?

Thanks.

I think carnauba wax (i.e. high quality car wax - it will say "carnauba" on the can) is pretty close to what he's talking about. I've used it on aluminum after polishing to keep the oxidation down. Works very well. The only "issue" is durability. I'm guessing you'll have to be treating your gun once a week or more if you handle it much. Too much hassle for moi.

I have one of my SV's hardchromed by Tripp, he did a very good job but I believe he is out of the plating business now. You may also want to look at some of the finishes that Robar does. The NP3 finish is excellent. It's a silver/gray color and is very durable and corrosion resistant. They also offer some black finishes as well. Just a note on the black finishes though. None will be as durable as a silver colored finish. The black finishes, Rogard and Black-T for example, are polymer based and they will wear with time. I also wouldn't recommend Black-T for anything. The last gun I had done by Birdsong took longer to finish than it did at the custom shop. When I got it the finish was already coming off. Within two weeks there was a dozen or more silver spots on the gun. Shipped it back and had the same problem again.

Jeff89,

If this P-14 is your main competition gun you WON'T go wrong getting it hard chromed. It'll look good and a good chrome job should give you years of service before another finishing is needed.

My Edge was done by Virgil Tripp but he's not plating anymore. I'd recommend Accurate Plating & Weaponry (Bob Cogan's shop) their work is of the highest quality.

www.apwcogan.com

Good luck &...

• 5 weeks later...

is it advisable to have my gun hardchrome now? i just got it a few months ago..when does corrosion usually start on a gun? i was thinking of using it first for a year or so before having it started.. i always take care of my pistol and always wipe and clean it as often as possible..if the slide to frame fit is loose will having it hardchromed fix the loose fit? i spent it all on quality parts and really forgot about the hard chrome finish ..im not really crazy about a shiny gun but if it will help my edge last longer im open to anything :P

Keep in mind that light corrosion on the frame is a cosmetic problem only. Back in the days of yesteryear- with black powder - everybody's gun had light rust that they just had to live with - and did. It's really no big deal. As far as "fixing" the slide to frame fit - a plater and/or a gunsmith will know about that. If your gun is properly fit, the plating will definitely preserve the fit over a plain, blue finish.