Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Viht N310/n320 In .45 Acp

Duane Thomas

I don't remember exactly this question being asked before, so here goes: I'm about to start experimenting with N310 and N320 in .45 ACP. Same ol' Laser-Cast 200-gr. LSWC. I'm looking for a 170 pf here. Suggested loads? Anything to prefer between N310 and N320 in .45? Enquiring minds want to know (at least my enquiring mind).

Duane,

I can't answer on 310 but here are some 320 results:

A local made cast bullet with the H&G68 dies at 200 gr. 4.9 gr N320 1.244 OAL ~172pf (5" kart barrel)

West Coast plated 200 gr. SWC 5.0 gr N320 1.244 OAL ~171 pf (5" kart barrel)

Rainier 200 gr. SWC 5.0 gr N320 1.244 OAL ~171 pf (5" kart barrel)

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Been shooting N310 for about 1.5 years now. 230gr. Montana Gold CMJ bullet, 4.2gr of N310, and WLP primmers. OAL at 1.255. Makes major with just a little room to spare everytime. Has run FLAWLESSLY, and the combination seems to be a little cleaner than previos concoctions. Don't know about th 200 gr SWC. Good luck. ;)

I have a couple questions for you guys shooting 200 swc with n320. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.

I bought a pound of n320 and loaded the minium load recommended for a lead 200 swc. I noticed the powder metered pretty well, but it was pretty flashing and snappy in recoil. I didn't bother to chrono this load since the vhit book said minium charge produces 900 fps. I'm wondering if the listed load is that far off of real world results? I pretty much using the same oal and bullet that Chuck gave in his load. I guess it it time to get the old chrono out again.

Currently I'm using straight Clays and have been able to get out of 24 shot sample i've had a 17.7 fps standard deviation and an extreme spread between my hi and lo of 57 fps. How much of an improvement can one except with the vhit powders?

Thanks!

Josh

I am loading 4.8 grains of VV N320 under Western Nevada Bullets 200 grain LSWC, mixed cases and WLP.

Chrono results (10 rounds):

Average: 846.1 fps

High: 865.5

Low: 837.2

Std. Dev.: 9.0

This in an old Kimber Custom Classic. Temp. was in the 50's and humidity in the teens. January in the desert. YMMV.

I like this load a lot better than 231 or Bullseye. The powder meters well and is very clean.

Jim

Currently I'm using straight Clays and have been able to get out of 24 shot sample i've had a 17.7 fps standard deviation and an extreme spread between my hi and lo of 57 fps. How much of an improvement can one except with the vhit powders?

I don't have much data for the 45 but with my open and limited gun using Vit powders I get much more consistant results than what you stated. With the .40 I can get SD's less than 16 with ES's of less than 35. With the super I get SD of less than 13 and ES of less than 30. I mostly atribute the results to how well the powder meeters. Not saying that that the Vit is better quality than Clays. Besides are you ever gonna feel 20fpf difference? If you are worried about Extreme spread, check your reloading practices.

The bullseye load I shot for the .45 was 3.5 grs of 310 with a 185 Oregon Trail SWC. For 165 pf, I'm loading 4.1 grs 310, FSP ,and Rainier 230 RN, similiar load to TriggerT's. I have loaded 310 and 320 for the 45 and prefer the 310.

JT, I noticed the same thing shooting 230 gr bullets over N320: sparky and snappy.

Never trust book velocity, which is usually through a long, tight test barrel. Get out the chrono.

I agree. I load 0.340 grams of N320 under a 230 grain RN copperplated bullet. This is the maximum load accoring to Vith. It only gives me a 181 PF. According to the book, the minimum load should give me more. Of course, I shoot this from a beat up 625-2 revolver, but still...

Guess I'll have to get out the chrono and actually test some n320 rounds. I'm willing to put up with some extra flash and snap for more consistant loads. I imagine the wide spread in my Clays load is due to it sometimes unwillingness to meter accurately at times.

Wonder if shortening my oal some would help the spread. Time to chrono.

Thanks,

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tightloop:

200 gr precision SWC 4.5 gr N310 171.80 PF (850.4 fps) SD= 19 fps

4.1 gr N 310 same bullet 741.1 fps SD= 19.43 (nice steel load)

3.9 gr N 310 same bullet 696.13 fps SD= 24.1 fps (great target/plinking load)

OAL = 1.264"

Cheers,

Norm

CU at the range?

I forgot to mention that I changed the recoil spring on my 45 to a 12.5 lb ISMI spring. I also changed the mainspring to something lighter and can't remember what I changed it to. If you use the old 16 or 18 lb recoil spring the gun may not work.