Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Both eyes open?

ts1911

Would like to get some opinions, I am trying to learn to shoot uspsa with both eyes open. In practice I do find it easier to locate and transtion to the next target but I sometimes find my eyes drifting from one sight picture to another. For example: when I focus on the target I can see a sight picture of "two" hands and sights. Sometimes I take the left, sometimes I take the right, and sometimes I choose the middle? Neither of them is totally clear. Am I just doing something wrong or is this something normal and I have to practice and get used to it? Any suggestions? Thanks

The closer your dominance, and the more target focus you have, the more likely this is to happen. If you focus hard on the target, you may want to read what is written about front sight focus and shot calling here on the forum.

With practice, and with a consistent presentation to the target, it will get easier to ignore the second image.

The more you focus on the front sight, and the faster you pick it up, the easier it gets.

If you cannot pick up on it, try a piece of clear tape in the lens of your non-dominant eye for a while. This forces the focus on the dominant eye to increase, and the second image goes away. Then, over time, make the tape smaller and eventually remove it.

I have always shot both eyes open on pistols, rifles, shotguns, even magnified optics. It is not essential to success, but it is much easier if you can do it.

Tim,

I've seen this before and I've helped people as follows:

Square your feet to the target.

Raise the gun to eye level.

Move the gun over in front of your right eye.

This may only be an 1" but it tends to draw dominance to that eye.

Same for left eye dominance, FYI

I've seen and heard of the tape on glasses but I've never tried that.

Sgtis108

Any suggestions? Thanks

Buy Brian's book, "Beyond the Fundamental." Brian used tape on the glasses (I frost my off eye lense) and I have no real dominant eye and find no disadvantage to this for people who don't have a really dominant eye.

Tim,

I've seen this before and I've helped people as follows:

Square your feet to the target.

Raise the gun to eye level.

Move the gun over in front of your right eye.

This may only be an 1" but it tends to draw dominance to that eye.

Same for left eye dominance, FYI

I've seen and heard of the tape on glasses but I've never tried that.

Sgtis108

This is a great idea! It really helps thank

• 7 months later...

Matt Burkett says that when he was starting out he had the same problem. The solution is simple. Just figure out which sight picture you want to use, the left or the right, and consciously use that one, ignoring the other. Eventually, according to Matt, it's like your brain figures out the other sight picture is not important and it just disappears on its own.

im currently using the clear tape idea on the non dominant eye to block the ghost "image". seems to help me focus on the sight picture better, or at least i think so. After some time now, I dont even notice the tape much anymore. Maybe ill try to wean myself off of it as this season goes along.

Hi All,

I'm new to all of this. The only shooting match I've ever been is was at the police academy many years ago. I have no idea what I'm doing and figured I would join and hopefully learn a few things before I go out and start shooting. I have an old Square Deal B and that's about as advanced as I can get right now. Thanks for letting me join.

I did the tape thing and it worked great. I'm left handed and shot with my left eye but I was right eye dominant. I finally taped my left eye to start using my dominant eye(right). Within a couple of months I was able to take the tape off completely and was able to focus on with just my right eye with no problems. The only thing I had to do is move the gun over so it was in front of my right eye.

Make sure you do a search. There are a ton of threads about this.

Flyin

Wow! Thanks for the great thread! I will be breaking out the tape during my next session! I thought the double-vision was something everyone had.

Cheers,

Kyle

I had/have the same problem you do and thought it was normal, but it turns out a lot of people dont see our problem, haha. good luck and hopefully it will diminish for both of us. :cheers:

I used to use tape then went with the Browning Magic Dot. It is no longer made. Pretty much it is as PB says, it uses static electricity to stay on. The problem with the tape is that it covers too much area. I found you only need a very small piece that will block out the sight when your aiming but still will let you use your periphal vision to pick up the next target. When using tape it tends to be a bigger piece and covers more area on your glasses.

I found these and they seem pretty much the same concept, just a different brand. Another thing is that I put them on the inside of the glasses. I used a pack of 6 and it lasted me 2yrs with spares left over. This brand appears to come with more of them than Browning did. Another great thing is that there is not smearing from the tape when its removed. Some say they are too expensive when tape can be used but who is honestly going to sit there can cut tape into small pieces that it doesn't block your periphal vision. When used correctly you can see left, right, up and down and only a small area straight in front is blocked out.

Here

Flyin

I used to use the tape, and stopped. Now I'm pretty sure I just close one eye when sighting, and open them both when moving the gun. I do it so fast that I'm not exactly sure, but I just pulled the gun out of the safe and I'm pretty sure that I've been closing an eye.

I have a very strong left eye dominance and I'm right handed and shoot right handed. I give mad props to those who can shoot opposite hand because they are left eye dominant, but I just can't. Trust me, I've tried. I can't even shoot a shotgun left handed.

Try the tape, though. It definitely works.

I used to use the tape, and stopped. Now I'm pretty sure I just close one eye when sighting, and open them both when moving the gun. I do it so fast that I'm not exactly sure, but I just pulled the gun out of the safe and I'm pretty sure that I've been closing an eye.

I have a very strong left eye dominance and I'm right handed and shoot right handed. I give mad props to those who can shoot opposite hand because they are left eye dominant, but I just can't. Trust me, I've tried. I can't even shoot a shotgun left handed.

Try the tape, though. It definitely works.

What eye are you using to aim with?? I'm assuming your using your right eye even though your left eye dominant. If this is the case just hold the gun up in front of you like you normally do then literally just move the gun over a couple of inches so it is front of your left eye. It will just take a little bit of practice because now you have to get used to drawing the gun to a new spot in front of your left eye. I'm left handed and right eye dominant and just moved the gun over. Sevigny does this exact thing also.

Flyin

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use tape, but now I use a rectangle of window tint film with tape on it. The tint film sticks to your glasses with static, so you are not permanently taping your glasses.

0208001728.jpg

Oh my Lord... Aren't there rules against posting offensive images? Where are the mods?!

JKLOL

:cheers: