Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams Arms Ozark 3 Gun National Championship

I would like to thank the staff and RO's for a great match. I finally met MS.Kitty :D We are honored to be a sponsor for this match. We will be back next year.

As far as conditions you take it as it comes rain, sunshine, heat, cold, mud that's all part of shooting a match like this. Everybody had to shoot at the same plates, some had problems some did not, you want to get creative in shooting a course then you should be willing to accept if it doesn't work out for you.

Thanks

Thanks Ron. Thanks again for the sponsorship. Tell your boy Im still recovering from hanging out with him. Next year Im hiding..... :ph34r::cheers:

I think Ronny was having withdrawals without you and Tyler to run with at night. You guy's did a great job of flying with bats at night and soaring with the eagles during the day. Just too many nights flying with the bats. :roflol:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has some good points. Yeah the plates can be a pain and hard to see. I worked Stage 5 that had 17 of those things. Thursday shooters got to find them in the rain and cloudy conditions when the ones in the woods were almost invisible. On Friday, most of the time they glowed when the sun hit them. Not the same for everyone but that's part of shooting. I would love to have shot them painted white but painting them will add set up time and mess. I probably lean a bit to the painted side of the fence on this one though. Smaller stand bases will fix the spin and no-knockoff issues. I shot 8s and modified the entire match. They fell when I did my part.

Unlike Gore thinks, we can't control the climate. It gets slippery when wet. So does grass on level ground. Be careful and wear good shoes. Or stay inside.

As for complaints about terrain, I shot Area 3 and that range isn't anything to brag about. It's got hills and loose gravel and rocks. I twisted an ankle on a rock the size of a baseball on one of the stages.

Dozer work???? It's an ATV trail campground. I don't think they want the trails and natural terrain flattened out for shooting bays and a parking lot. There was parking up top for Stage 2 and at the bottom for 1 & 3. Maybe you couldn't grab gear from your truck and step over to the stage to shoot but it wasn't bad.

Wish Stage 8 would have worked as I did fine on it. That's usually the case for me.

Overall it went well and was a fun match. It had a few glitches but I have yet to be at one or work one that didn't. And for a 1st time effort at this large of a scale, it was great.

Like Barry said, 3 Gun isn't for pansies.

Craig

Painting the stands isnt a terrible idea. Next year we will not be limiting you to 6 shot either. Bring the buckshot on. If it isnt safe, we will put clay birds on a stand for that stage (Im thinking of stage 9 in particular).

A few clay birds can be fun because it is hoser city with a shotgun then and everybody likes a littel bit of HOSING, right?

Craig

I wish someone would have posted this little bit of advice on Enos before I spent $10k on all these guns and gear. :angry2:

My only other suggestion would be to have an organized after shoot party on Saturday night at the match hotel. I only got the pleaseure of meeting my squad mates, RO's, and a few others at the match. :cheers:

Actually, CMMG has had all of the above mentioned issues too, they had a ton of rain, people on ATV's tearing about, Muddy ass forest stages where you had to run on slick nasty ground with a loaded gun, confusion about the range location and where registration was to be held AND those same little 5x5 bastards that nobody liked when they spun.... and so on. Given all of the challenges faced by the staff and the shooters, this match went off comparatively without a hitch. Yeah the rain made everything nasty, and yeah, a few GAMERS screwed up stage 8 for everyone else, and yeah, in the middle of Missourri, there were redneck kids ridin around on ATV's... to all of that I say BIG DEAL.

Bottom line, in my own opinion, is 3 gun is not a sport for pansies, if you don't come away bleeding from at least one stage, you aren't serious enough. One thing I LIKE about 3 gun is there are often physical challenges that one must overcome in addition to merely shooting.

My take on it from a shooters perspective:

The plates didn't spin nearly as badly as they did at the FN/CMMG shoot. The I-design seemed to pretty much work. I did have a couple of sideways plates, but that was mostly a function of not using a tight enough choke.

I had a lot of fun on Stage 8, and I shot very well on it. I think it was tossed because there was some confusion about the written stage description and it was perceived that some shooters chose the option of shooting it differently. I wasn't there and I don't know how everyone else shot it. But I considered shooting it without activating the garage door mover, or shooting everything through the door and then hitting the button as I engaged the last three on the left. Gaming a stage is part of winning and who can come up with the best plan. A no-shoot in front of that window would have prevented the whole situation. That's not criticism, sometimes quirks crop up in a stage.

I'd like to thank all the elite shooters who were more than willing to put on shotgun shooting and reloading clinics for us relative newcomers to the sport. For anyone who didn't get the chance to talk to them, the shooters who are good enough that you recognize their names on the score sheet... to a man they were friendly and willing to talk, and they were just as fast to reset steel or paste as all the more novice guys like me. To me, that really makes the sport enjoyable.

The mud was just a function of mother nature, and part of dealing with the natural terrain. I enjoyed it. It was good to get off the 'golf course' ranges. As someone else mentioned, it helped some of us slide into the bunker on stage 5. I wish I had my run on that stage on video.

Thanks to the guys from Adam's Arms who let me shoot their 6.8 SBR and the M16. That was an experience. Thanks to Phelps for arranging the M249 on stage 5. That was a neat touch I thought.

Craig

I wish someone would have posted this little bit of advice on Enos before I spent $10k on all these guns and gear. :angry2:

My only other suggestion would be to have an organized after shoot party on Saturday night at the match hotel. I only got the pleaseure of meeting my squad mates, RO's, and a few others at the match. :cheers:

Yeah but all the fun is worth the cost, right? ;)

Craig

Craig

We had originally planned for the party at the match hotel. The problem was it was cost prohibitive. Most of the staff was working late at the campground and would have missed it. We did have adult beverages and some "explosive" entertainment at the range in the evening. Next year we may do a BBQ at the range if enough people want to. My thinking is most guys want to go shower and clean up after shooting.

I can see where inexperienced 3 gunners might get turned off by the extra work. I had expected a little bit more physical match but I was more than content with the workout I got.

Kirk was nice enough to make arrangements for me to get to shoot with 4 brand new shooters and that was certainly interesting to see the looks on their faces... They all did fine and they had a blast. No reason for me to think they won't keep playing.

Same goes for me with the plates, not nearly the issues like at the FN and it is the design of the base that helped. Everyone advised me to make sure I used at least a modified choke (when I finally get this choke out I will let you know what it was. I expect improved cylinder) but I aimed and the plates fell just fine.

I was one of the lucky guys squadded to shoot in 2 days and it worked fine even with the extra weather we got on Saturday morning.

The only thing that makes it palatable about the AirForce guy (retired) beating me is he shot open... makes it easier in my mind anyway.

Well my .03 cents worth of After action report, the guys who ran and supported this know I mean this in the spirit of making it better and we have discussed much of it already, I will post it here so maybe someone else can consider it as well for their events, it isn't gospel just opinion.

I had a great time shooting and had a great squad, mostly guys I did not know and hopefully made some new friends for future events

Outstanding match, first time events are always hard and learning experiences and the learning will go on for years, Staff and sponsors were awesome and worked tirelessly to make sure everyone had a fun time and enjoyed themselves. Prize table was great and distribution is always difficult when several classes are represented but lessons were learned there too.

Chip was a cool idea but adds complexity and controversy to the match, I admit I used mine strategically during the match on a planned effort, this will happen if they are an option in the match. Using it before the score sheet is signed was a great approach, but as always you never know if you will have to throw out a stage in any match, it happens. Then those who used chips on stage 8 got the chips back and had an option no one else had of using chips after seeing almost all the match results, allowing an even greater strategic call of what to do with the chip? a cool option, though not one I would like to give my competitors too often. Not much choice for the match staff it was the right thing to do, but I think the chip will always have a controversy in matches so not sure it is worth the kinda cool factor.

Detailed Written Stage descriptions- nuff said

On stage design, if a target or group of targets must be shot from a position it needs a shooting box, and if targets must be shot before a point then a fault line is in order (stage 4 & 6), not talking about 180 issues, those are covered by safety rules, I prefer freestyle and no boxes personally, but it is much harder to set up and requires significantly more vision barriers

Stages did allow a considerable amount of freestyleing on where to shoot along course or trail, I like alot, good job

Plates, hmmm, forget the paint it will never be the same for everyone, gray is the same for everyone, even stands will be shot blasted quickly and will do little to help you find them in the filtered sunlight of the woods, it is what it is, and I have shot it from every angle

Spinning plates- "aim small, miss small", never seen a plate that wouldn't spin and stay up (ok, one design) and I have seen it happen on stands with 1x1 squares to sit on, I think your design showed extra effort to minimize the issue, but only stands with lips or studs on the back that make it tip off solve this and they are not that common in any matches.

But, all plates need to be able to be knocked over by someone shooting a cylinder bore 18" gun with the allowed ammo, or you have folks (LEO & new shooters) showing up with issue guns that can't take over the targets due to pattern issues, buckshot and heavy shot will only fix a prtion of this, distance is still an issue due to pattern size, one must consider this in all shotgun stages with steel or clays. In IPSC competitions overseas, they calibrate all the shotgun targets to a cylinder bore with something like 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s, I have done that in my matches as well, good standard.

Like I said overall a great result for a first time effort, I know the next will be even better and I will be there, great to see everyone

See ya soon

jeff B)B)

Very good info Jeff. :cheers: I was gonna type a long reply up until I saw yours. Your experience speaks volumes. I'm pretty sure you've been doing this long enough. I know I've learned a ton from you.

My only suggestion for the plates rather than paint is to tie fluorescent orange or red survey tape around the bases. Its easily replaceable and quite resilient to the spray of lead shot.

Kirk,Chad and crew did a great job in my book all considered. They did their best to improve on shortcomings noted at other matches they have attended and they have been totally receptive to criticism. Unfortunately weasther is beyond all of our control. I assure you they are listening and it will be considered when planning for the 2nd Annual Ozarks 3 Gun Championship.....of which I plan on returning to.

To all the new shooters that came to play.....good to meet the ones I met and hope to see y'all return to this match and others. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

As far as the 5x5 plates go, I disagree about the paint.

From an efficiency point of view, painting the plates adds another step, and if you think handling the lead covered plates during reset is nasty, adding sticky, semi-dry spray paint to the mix makes the situation even nastier. Leaving the plates unpainted takes out the variable having to worry about them consistently looking the same for everyone.

This sport has martial roots and combat themed. That doesn’t mean that it is or should be just like real life combat situations, but I mean, come on... most if not all of us are using rifles built on battle rifle platforms, combat-style handguns, etc. The plates represent the "bad guys". The unpainted plates are harder to find in a natural setting, vs. painted plates in a square bay, which I think that is a good thing. Unpainted plates better represent this, because they are more camouflaged. The bad guys wouldn't be dressed in some color which obviously contrasted the environment, so you'll be able to better identify and neutralize them. Just like the brown paper targets are tougher to see in the woods than in a wide open bay. Natural terrain offers several challenges to the sport, which I welcome because they create a more meaningful and challenging shooting environment. Footing isn't always as ideal as pressed gravel in a bay, which is the whole point, to trudge along and adapt to the environment. I for one always prefer natural terrain over bays.

As far as the plates needing additional welding, I've personally heard many shooters complain about this at several matches. I have never seen a plate spin if the shooter made a solid shot, unless he/she was using too light of a load or not enough choke. I don't think that there needs to be a lip on the back, that would make it too easy to knock the plates off. What has worked to minimize the spin issue at our local club matches is making the base and stand narrower. If a 5x5 plate has a 2.5x2.5 base on a 2.5x2.5 stand, then there's little chance of it spinning, yet it has enough room to move on the stand and not fall if the shooter didn't put enough pattern on it.

Ryan,

Well said from the guy that got 3rd place in Tac Optic. Why would you want to make any changes at all? :cheers:

The painted plates would make it slower and messier but we are playing a game not training for combat or LE. So why not make the game about shooting not about target identification?

In regards to the spinning plates. I have no doubt that I was not hitting the plates as well as I could have been. Especially with my pistol! I think I could hear you all laughing after ever shot was for fired. :roflol: I don;t have a problem at all with a plate that spins and needs another shot or two but when you simply can't knock it off becauseof fault lines limiting your lateral movement then I have a problem.

I was using WWB 9mm and a Walmart 8 shot with a Modified choke so it wasn't light loads or loose patterns that caused those plates to spin. Think of it this way. Say on stage 10 when there were 2 or 3 chances at shooting a double and you shot for the double but spun one or both plates sideways and could not knock them off You would lose 10-20 penalty seconds plus the time it took you to shoot. You gotta fix the plates.

Jesse,

I said before that the game isn't exactly like real life nor should it be. I mentioned that the sport is combat themed as are the guns most of us use... I mean, two of the four divisions have the word "Tactical" in them for crying' out loud. :roflol: So, "Why not make the game about shooting not about target identification?", you ask? Because the nature of 3-Gun, or any other flavor of Practical Shooting isn't just about the shooting. Games like Bullseye are more "just about the shooting". 3-Gun stresses ammo management, problem solving, stage breakdown, gun handling, and timing, just to name a few... and yes in some cases such as the unpainted plates, target ID. If the game was just about the shooting, re-shoots would be given for gun malfunctions, because clearing a jam on the clock isn't a test of "shooting". "Mental or "memory" stages with hidden targets like we see in USPSA all the time would be thrown out too, because memorizing a plan of attack isn't "just about shooting".

As for the light changing and the plates being more difficult to find... if we make exceptions for this, then where would we stop? These are natural things that we have no control over as someone else mentioned: rain, wind, fog, sun light, direction of the sun, temp, humidity, etc. This could go on and on to ridiculous lengths. All we can do is just suck it up and keep on blasting. :cheers:

RZ

Craig

We had originally planned for the party at the match hotel. The problem was it was cost prohibitive. Most of the staff was working late at the campground and would have missed it. We did have adult beverages and some "explosive" entertainment at the range in the evening. Next year we may do a BBQ at the range if enough people want to. My thinking is most guys want to go shower and clean up after shooting.

noooooooo! most guys want a cold libation first. BBQ and beer would be anice touch.

1chota :cheers:

This was the 4th match that I've shot. I just started shooting 3 gun and some uspsa this year after starting to work for Nordic Components last January.

I thought Kirk, Chad and the gang did a very good job setting up and running this match. Shooting in natural terrain is as good as it gets in my opinion, it's like Forrest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates, "You never know what your gonna get"

I only witnessed one plate that spun and did not fall for our whole squad through the entire match.

While it's true that the time of day, rain, wind and lighting conditions are not the same for everyone on each stage, that is what this game is about. The good, consistent shooters will always find a way to do well. They make the most of it and go on.

I had plenty of things that did not go well, but I had one hell of a good time and I want to thank all who helped make this possible.

The co-worker who went with me has shot 3 gun since 2002 and said this was one of the most enjoyable matches he can remember.

Can't wait for the 2nd annual.

Nordic Components is proud to have been one of the sponsors of this match and we will be back next year.

Thanks for a great time,

Ken Anderson

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I thought this might be the moment.

I hear so many people talk about having the challenge the same for all the shooters. To really have things exactly the same for all shooters you need to shoot indoors to take the weather, sun etc out of play. You need to have them be completely symmetrical so that they offer the same challenge to lefties and righties. You shouldn’t have high or low ports, as tall and short people will have different challenges. You shouldn’t have to lean around anything, as people with longer torsos are able to wrap around so much better. You have to have little to no movement, as longer legs can cover ground faster and it would no longer be about shooting.

You end up with very boring stages, stages that I don’t really enjoy shooting. I think you have to give a shot to making things equal, but people come to a match with such a different skill set/physical characteristics/mindset/problem solving ability/trigger speed, it’s never equal.

That’s why I love the stages that give you options. I think that another skill tested should be knowing your strengths and what you are capable of. Yes, you should stretch them and get out of your comfort zone, but…using your brain to figure out the best way for you…that’s what it’s all about.

Back before I really got into 3-Gun, I loved designing “choicey” stages even for pistol matches. I had one we set up on a 50 yard berm, where you could shoot all but one target from the very back. Of course, you had much better shots from further forward, but from start to the hidden target was a 40 yard run. We had an Open guy shoot it from the back, he took the 2 misses and the FTE for the one target, and he ended up with a very close hit factor, to the fast, limited guy who ran up and shot them all. And there were people who shot it in all combinations in between.

I know it’s a game, but even bowling has different amounts of oil on the lanes. Outdoor sports have weather. Yes, it’s an individual sport and we should try to make the set up the same etc. I would never want to have one of those stages like I heard about at an early match, where targets got shot up and disappeared as the match progressed and the last guys had less targets to shoot! We try very hard to keep shotgun targets blocked by something other than leaves or grass, because one year at Rocky Mountain, when the RO’s came to tear down a shotgun stage, we discovered that there were triples and doubles all over because the foliage was shot away. We learned, and are more conscious of that now.

The truth is the winners are still the winners no matter what happens at the matches. We may feel ripped off by the wind or the sun or the rain and mud, but the truth is, it kind of balances out in the end.

I would like a Mulligan match sometime, where I could shoot a stage over. Sometimes, I just know I could have done better in different conditions. Well, mostly if I shot it differently. JJ and I like to see people come back from shooting and wonder whether a different way would have worked better.

I know, that for those top guys that are extremely competitive, they hate to see someone shoot a stage some way they never thought of that seems to be THE WAY after they’ve already shot it the slow way. But using your head is important in shooting as well, or should be.

I applaud :bow: Adams’ Arms, Blue Ridge Mountain and the other matches that are: 1) just starting, trying to get more quality matches, and 2) working in natural terrain! I love the natural terrain, but it sure does make set-up, some aspects of stage design and pre-planning a lot more difficult. They’re my favorite kinds of matches, and I just love going to matches where I don’t have to plan it! 

I just get tired of people saying they want it exactly the same. The star needs to be in exactly the same position. (Not possible, close, but not exact) Targets need to be painted every time…well, they’re not the same after you’ve painted the darn things 200 times. They’re thicker and lumpy, and it changes the way they react.

I know we need to make things as fair as possible, but fair doesn’t mean exactly equal!

Congrats to Adams’ Arms and to the MS match, too! Hold the matches, they will come!

:cheers:

Denise (the verbose)

Craig

Actually, I *did* post about how hard this sport can be. Heres a pic from my owh April match where we had 3" of snow on top of 2 days of rain...and we shot anyway...

hardcore.jpg

I forget who [a user on here] turned this pic into a motovational poster, but it seemed to fit...

Craig

Actually, I *did* post about how hard this sport can be. Heres a pic from my owh April match where we had 3" of snow on top of 2 days of rain...and we shot anyway...

hardcore.jpg

I forget who [a user on here] turned this pic into a motovational poster, but it seemed to fit...

I like it!

Craig

Jesse,

I said before that the game isn't exactly like real life nor should it be. I mentioned that the sport is combat themed as are the guns most of us use... I mean, two of the four divisions have the word "Tactical" in them for crying' out loud. :roflol: So, "Why not make the game about shooting not about target identification?", you ask? Because the nature of 3-Gun, or any other flavor of Practical Shooting isn't just about the shooting. Games like Bullseye are more "just about the shooting". 3-Gun stresses ammo management, problem solving, stage breakdown, gun handling, and timing, just to name a few... and yes in some cases such as the unpainted plates, target ID. If the game was just about the shooting, re-shoots would be given for gun malfunctions, because clearing a jam on the clock isn't a test of "shooting". "Mental or "memory" stages with hidden targets like we see in USPSA all the time would be thrown out too, because memorizing a plan of attack isn't "just about shooting".

As for the light changing and the plates being more difficult to find... if we make exceptions for this, then where would we stop? These are natural things that we have no control over as someone else mentioned: rain, wind, fog, sun light, direction of the sun, temp, humidity, etc. This could go on and on to ridiculous lengths. All we can do is just suck it up and keep on blasting. :cheers:

RZ

I agree on the on the hiding of targets, crawling in mud, all the hooah military type stuff. I served our country for 9 years and about the only thing I enjoyed other than the college money was the shooting. I had no problem with them and actually liked the challenge. I was just stating some of the frustration that the other shooters experienced. These frustrations are the sort of things that keep new shooters from quitting the sport or experienced shooters from attending a particular match again.

Personally, I didn't like the fact that a poor shot spun targets twice for me. I was not able to shoot the targets again to complete the course of fire. You can always make up a miss on paper, plate racks, and stationary clays. The purpose of the flying clays is to give you a one or two shot chance and then a penalty for missing. No shoot and disapearing targets are used to force you to take a better aim on paper targets. I have never heard of anyone setting steel plates purposefully to spin so that you get one chance at making a good hit. My point is the plates should not spin, period. If you make a bad shot on a steal plate they should not fall which would force you to shoot again. If you want to test the ability to make a good shot the first time throw clays or make the target disapear.

First I want to say GREAT JOB to Kirk, Chad and the rest.

This was my Son and I's ,first large 3 gun match ,we have only shot 3 other small ones that we set up RO'ed, and shot,at our place.

We were shooting a 17.5" and 18" smooth bore, with the cheap Walmart loads, the only plates we failed to knock off was because we timed out, some took several shots, but they went down.

I also did poorly on the long range shots ,mainly because of a 6MOA red dot :rolleyes: it completly covered the target and then some.

It was a natural terrain shoot , it's going to be different conditions for everybody,like was said before if you want exact cond. go to an indoor range. This is more like you would encounter in a real life sitution, try a 3 gun in total darkness, now that's fun!!!

Sir,

I am sorry to hear you didnt have a good match experience. We do appreciate the understanding of what goes into setting up a match. Nobody likes shooting in less than favorable conditions & we certainly didnt ask for additional precipitation. These natural terrain matches are vastly different from anything you will find with IPSC/USPSA pistol match. A 3-Gun match @ a groomed facility such as CMMG may be more of what you are looking for.

RufDog (I don't know the real names in this group, so will stick with your "handle"), my intention in my original post was to focus on three points that I though could make your's a better match; safety, organization, and equity. If safety isn't paramount, I won't be back. No trophy, or prize is worth a serious injury. The only thing injured when I fell was my dignity (which wasn't helped by driving back to the hotel in my BVDs to keep mud off the seats). I suspect the person that reportedly "blew our his knee" (Moots?) may feel differently. Safety was the point about children riding ATVs through the parking lot and out toward the active ranges. I signed the liability wavier don't think those kids did.

Organization - motivated the comments about, registration, maps, gps, stage 8, etc.

Equity - if it is expected to be a "crap shoot" on target visibility and footing, so be it. If that is the intent of the game, fine. I have shoot CMMG among others, and try to make as many 3-gun matches as I can. Your's was different, I know that now.

Thanks for all your effort.

I guess I'll jump in here. First off let me state this was my second 3-gun match (cmmg was my first). Thanks to the match director and all of his staff at this match, I'm hooked and will be first in line (if Possible) to sign up for next year's match. Good job to everyone from the match director to Miss Kitty to all the RO's. I really liked the way the RO's were there to help, not call penalties or DQ's (not a Nazi in the group). If the shooter started to get close to a 180 violation the RO politely asked them to back up. Class act.

As for the hard to see grey targets, It was the same for everyone. I don't think there was anyone that at one point or another wasn't looking around a bit for that last target you knew had to be there. It was just part of the game.

The "I" bases the plates rested on were a big improvement. Not perfect maybe but a big improvement.

Lastly I'd like to thank my squad. The most pleasent group of hard workers I've shot with. We received numerous complements from the RO's. I'd be proud to be in a squad with any of you in the future.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

If anyone has pictures and or video that they wouldn't mind me using on the website, next years fliers, ect, you can email them to me at kirk@forconquest.com

I appreciate all you can send as I didn't get a chance to take as many as I would have liked.

Thank you again

Kirk

See ya at the range

I just want to thank all the O3GC staff for holding a terrific match. I know how much work you all did to make it happen. Sure we all had our individual problems with various stages, but it was all ran as fair as possible with a great team that made every effort to see that the shooters had a fun experience. Everyone i talked to had a great time. The sponsors were terrific and very generous for a new event. I look forward to returning and seeing what kind of surprises you cook up for next year. I think my only regret is that I didnt start doing this when I was 20 years younger.... I know you all want to make this the best match possible and I am sure you will consider all the comments and hopefully filter out the best parts... As Dwight said in an earlier post, the squad I was on was terrific, everyone did a great job which made things better for all. This was a great site for the event and I look forward to returning. Joe