Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet prices

If I made cast lead bullets made with the 92-6-2 mix and had moly coat would that enterest u in buying even if it cost a couple more cents per bullet, would u buy it? It seems like everyone wants moly. Also if u shoot open with 38 super would u use it?

I'll tell you up front, nobody is going to shoot lead or moly in Open. As for bullets, 70$ a 1000 is about right if you want business.

H.

Probably more true than not. I shoot a moly-coated lead bullet in Single Stack, but that's because my .45's are moving at a whopping 860fps, so leading isn't much of an issue.

I dunno.. I know several people who shoot open guns (Revolver and 38 super) with lead bullets. The person that I know who shoots lead in a 38 super open gun uses Linotype as his base. It is a pretty hard alloy being about 82-14-4 as opposed to the 92-6-2. I've played around with shooting Moly coated lead out of an open gun and while there is lead buildup, it's nothing a little elbow grease can't remove. If you get to the point of no more jacketed bullets, you will either use lead or switch divisions.

Well, I wasn't saying there weren't some people, but from the perspective of starting up a business, there are effectively none. Most would be hobbiest casters themselves. Molycoat suits lower velocity, so the focus should be on the enormous amount of revolver and production folks that would gladly shoot it. I personally don't shoot anything else in every division except Open.

H.

I dunno.. I know several people who shoot open guns (Revolver and 38 super) with lead bullets. The person that I know who shoots lead in a 38 super open gun uses Linotype as his base. It is a pretty hard alloy being about 82-14-4 as opposed to the 92-6-2. I've played around with shooting Moly coated lead out of an open gun and while there is lead buildup, it's nothing a little elbow grease can't remove. If you get to the point of no more jacketed bullets, you will either use lead or switch divisions.

V, point well taken but most of us are far from the point of not being able to purchase jacketed to shoot open. Since great jacketed bullets are available at reasonable pricing in bulk, I see very little market for open shooters.

If I made cast lead bullets made with the 92-6-2 mix and had moly coat would that enterest u in buying even if it cost a couple more cents per bullet, would u buy it? It seems like everyone wants moly. Also if u shoot open with 38 super would u use it?

I would use it for pratice IF it did'nt dirty my optics.

Maybe a bit off topic, maybe not. . .

Does hardcast moly leave less deposits in a stock glock barrel? I have been testing some soft lead molys in my stock G22 and am not entirely happy with the lead deposits.

stick to a couple basic popular designs, like.

.40 180's

.356 147's

Have a websight that is simple to use and doesnt require phone calls or emails to figure out how much something is.

Use flat rate post office shipping boxes and post all prices as prices including shipping. I dont buy from bullet websights that list the weight or "call for shipping rates" or any other BS. Nor do I buy from bullet makers that havent figured outy the flat rate shipping box.

Initially I thought this was more on a personal and not custom and/or production level catering to the commercial realm.

Molycoat suits lower velocity, so the focus should be on the enormous amount of revolver and production folks that would gladly shoot it.

I disagree with this since at one point I was slinging 140 gr Bear creek Moly coated bullets to Major veocity out of my 610. No leading but they were quite snappy.

Bear creeks tend to be about 16 on the BHN scale. Linotype hovers in the range of mid 20's IIRC, plenty hard enough to make major with few issues, moly coated or just lubed via a lubesizer. A lot of rifle cast bullet shooters claim that Lino is good to about 1600 fps and more with gas checks. I would only do this for myself though, not as a commercial venture.

Edited by sargenv