Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Lock for DOH

Seth

Yep. I solved a non- problem.

I am trying the DOH for a while and decided that I REALLY wanted it to be completely lockable for between stages. No sense in running the risk of dropping the gun while RO'ing, picking up steel or just eating lunch. A few minutes on McMaster's website and I found my solution.

post-12328-1244285789_thumb.jpg

post-12328-1244285801_thumb.jpg

I drilled the holster and the tab out to match the pin diameter, and that's it. 100% locking, 1 second to unlock before I go to the line.

Solved a non-problem. Lucky me!

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required

by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment

must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match.

If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it

must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the “Standby”

command.

?

must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the “Standby”command.

?

...and he beat ima45dv8 to it...

Actually, I think there was a ruleing several years ago that devices not part of the original holster could be used between stages to secure the firearm ( remember the Barnhart strap). But I could be wrong.------------Larry

An alternative strap method, which I've seen used, is to have

a strap affixed to the belt (usually via a sliding belt loop) with

a good quality snap fastener on it. The strap goes arround the

pistol grip and snaps to itself. At the Make Ready, the strap is

unfastened.

(Think a belt loop with a long tail on it and a snap fastener.)

This does not violate 5.2.5.3 as the strap is not attached to the

holster.

Glen

On origial item, Ive never been a fan of doodads going through he trigger guard.

and on the rule Howabout the shower caps, ?

Edited by Joe4d

Yep. I solved a non- problem.

I am trying the DOH for a while and decided that I REALLY wanted it to be completely lockable for between stages. No sense in running the risk of dropping the gun while RO'ing, picking up steel or just eating lunch. A few minutes on McMaster's website and I found my solution.

post-12328-1244285789_thumb.jpg

post-12328-1244285801_thumb.jpg

I drilled the holster and the tab out to match the pin diameter, and that's it. 100% locking, 1 second to unlock before I go to the line.

Solved a non-problem. Lucky me!

Cool idea. I just have to express an observation. I've had the screws come out of my Blade-Tech DOH and eventually used thread tape to stop it from happening (Loctite takes away adjust ability). The last thing on Earth that I would do is put a pin inside the trigger guard in front of the trigger. If the upper screw falls out it can allow the gun to fall 'down' inside the holster and that pin will work exactly like a finger. I realize that we carry cold at matches and that it is not likely to ever be an issue if you only use that device at matches and with a cold gun but it would probably secure the gun just as good if placed where it ran through the holster behind the trigger.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

As long as it's not attached/fixed to the holster, it's good to go. Looking at the picture, seems like it is not attached to the holster, so it would be good to go.

BTW - Why would you worry about the gun falling out of the DOH?!?! Unless you are doing a jumping handstand, I don't think the gun is going to fall out easily. As you said, a solution to a NON-PROBLEM.

Edited by racerba

If you have your adj screws sufficiently tight (not just a "bucket" holsetr) its pretty dang hard to knock a gun out of a Blade-tech, even up side down. Maybe run your holster a tad tighter?

An alternative to the starp would be to replace your regular adjustment screw with a small knurled wheel and just crank it tighter between stages, loosen it up at LAMR. You may need to glue in the chicago screw backing on the back side to keep it from rotating.......

As long as it's not attached/fixed to the holster, it's good to go. Looking at the picture, seems like it is not attached to the holster, so it would be good to go.

BTW - Why would you worry about the gun falling out of the DOH?!?! Unless you are doing a jumping handstand, I don't think the gun is going to fall out easily. As you said, a solution to a NON-PROBLEM.

+1

I have tried to shake my gun out of a DOH by taking it off the belt and holding the holster upside down with the unloaded gun in it and shaking it over the bed to try and dislodge it. Gotta really shake it hard to get it out. I can't imagine the gun coming out while wearing it.

HAHAH. This was a great response to a stupid idea.

I ran the DOH for the first time in a match today and loved it. Brainless simple. Used the lock as a joke, then moved on with my life. I won't be going back to a race holster for a while. The DOH is satisfactory.

Seth

I ran the DOH for the first time in a match today and loved it. Brainless simple. Used the lock as a joke, then moved on with my life. I won't be going back to a race holster for a while. The DOH is satisfactory.

Seth

Methinks you might have heard that somewhere previously...lol :P

Seth

Mine arrived Thursday, from SC. I have a 6" SV, and was worried about extra length on the draw, but shouldn't have been. DOH Bladtech feels great, and I know I'm going to be a lot happier and more relaxed on starts, period. CR-Speed will be retired or FS.

command.

?

so why can you lock and unlock a speed holster at the line?

command.

?

so why can you lock and unlock a speed holster at the line?

Because it's not a strap. Usually some sort of lever. It's a loophole.

Glen

When I first started to use a DOH, I had a similar concern as the gun is rather loose and I worried about bending over while taping and having it come out. So, I took a small bungee cord and hooked it to the bottom of the holster then up over the butt and back down again. Worked great as I could easily remove it before going to the line and put it back afterwards.

Eventually decided it was overkill, but it still seems to be a good idea for some cases.

The screws on the Bladetech's are 8-32. At ACE Hardware you can get a knob screw (8-32 threads, with a big plastic knob - Bobby showed me that trick,) so between stages you tighten down the knob/screw and your gun is very secure. Come to the line, and loosen the screw back out. Works great!

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch