Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching mag-release so you can use your index finger?

Does anyone else do this? I thought I'd give it a shot since I have small hands and have to actually change my grip when it comes time to reload because it's so hard to reach the magazine release with my thumb.

Quite a few shooters do this; One thing to be aware of is your index finger has less strength than your thumb so you may have to tweak the magazine release spring a little to make it easier to press.

That makes me feel a little better. Just like you said, I noticed I don't have as much strength in my index finger, but I'm quickly getting used to it.

I also realized that this would be an additional safeguard against having my finger on the trigger during reloads, since I'll be using it to drop the mag.

I'm actually slightly faster on my reloads in just a few minutes of practicing. Are there any more tips? Or warnings against using this method?

Did it on my wife's 9mm 1911--along with thin grips and a short trigger. She has

really small hands. I used the S&A ambi release, but I've tried the Mitchell and

it's a great unit. At least one Master class Limited lady shooter uses a right side

release on her S_I. If you have small hands it's sure worth a try.

We talked about this in a weekend class with Max and Travis. That is certainly one option. Believe it or not Max's hands are small enough that he has to "Flip" his grip to release the mag, and then flip it back. As you can imagine with all his practice, he can do it lightening fast.

Another option, push the mag release button with the thumb of your weak hand before moving that hand toward the next mag.

Make sure if modifying it for strong hand index that you do not get a spring so light that normal handling during shooting does not accidentally release the mag.

I too have small hands, and flip the gun. To do it more easily, I installed a lighter mag release spring. All well and good, until I decided to add an offset extension to the mag release button. Then I ran into a couple of problems - with the light spring and the extension, I could not reliably do any of the stages/classifier that required laying the gun on that side - an be sure the mag would not be released accidentally when I picked the gun up. The other issue with this combo, was that I would occasionally release the mag while shooting, just because of my weak hand position - sometimes even with a heavier spring.

In the end, I ended up with a light spring, no extension, and just flip the grip.

Mark K

My friend Ted Bonnet GM Limited has the right side button on all of his guns. It is the small hand thing. He won a bunch of World Titles back when. Care must be taken to avoid premature mag ejackulation, like when gun is lying flat etc.

:surprise:

A lot of the top guys flip the gun.

I was skeptical when it was first shown to me. Eventually spent some time learning the flip, and I'm sold.

Extended buttons, and light springs will bite you, it's just a matter of time.

I forgot to mention that my son inadvertantly brushes the mag release hard enough about once per match to loosen the magazine. It rarely falls free, but loosens just enough to not strip a round. He's gotten really good at recovering from that. :)

Just to throw a little something more into the discussion...

I'm left handed, so I'm basically born with what you're talking about modifying your gun to accomplish, and I shoot Single Stack so flipping the mag release isn't an option. My problem has been hands too big to get my trigger finger back to the mag release unless I shift the gun in my hand to release the mag, and then of course I have to shift it back again once I'm coming back up on target; this takes time risks a poor grip position everytime I do a reload. My biggest problem was with the odd magazine sticking in the well due to me lessening pressure on the release before the magazine had fully cleared the gun-- a result of the index finger not being as strong as the thumb, as mentioned before.

I won't say that my solution is the best solution, but it is mine. I now snake my support hand index finger between my strong hand trigger finger and strong hand middle finger to depress the mag release. My strong hand never loses its grip position, and I always get a positive magazine drop. The downside is that my support hand is slowed down getting to the magazine pouch; I'm willing to accept that in trade for the consistent strong hand grip and the fact that I've never had a magazine get stuck in the well while executing a drop. In competitions that emphasize running mag changes rather than static changes, the pause getting to the pouch isn't that great of a loss. One stuck magazine will slow me down way more than the tenth or so I'll lose getting to the pouch.

I'm left handed, so I'm basically born with what you're talking about modifying your gun to accomplish, and I shoot Single Stack so flipping the mag release isn't an option.

OK--I'll bite---WHY isn't it an option to use a ambi/right side mag

release in Single Stack?

S&A and Mitchell make releases, and I don't know of anything in the

rules that would prohibit it??

I'm left handed, so I'm basically born with what you're talking about modifying your gun to accomplish, and I shoot Single Stack so flipping the mag release isn't an option.

release in Single Stack?

Nothing that prohibits it per se, but...

1. My gun is already at the knife edge of what the rules allow for weight; if I put another 2 ounces (if that) on it, I'm out of compliance, should somebody decide to get picky

2. I just looked up the Smith and Alexander that you mentioned (I'd never seen it before) and it looks like a great design, but I've seen contraptions in the past that had ridiculous levers which would have widened the grip enough to prevent it from fitting in the box-- no joke!

3. What's wrong with "thinking out of the box" a bit and just working with the design of the gun-- ie, keeping it simple?

Nothing that prohibits it per se, but...

1. My gun is already at the knife edge of what the rules allow for weight; if I put another 2 ounces (if that) on it, I'm out of compliance, should somebody decide to get picky

2. I just looked up the Smith and Alexander that you mentioned (I'd never seen it before) and it looks like a great design, but I've seen contraptions in the past that had ridiculous levers which would have widened the grip enough to prevent it from fitting in the box-- no joke!

3. What's wrong with "thinking out of the box" a bit and just working with the design of the gun-- ie, keeping it simple?

OK--I misunderstood. I thought maybe there WAS some reason that it "wasn't an option".

Had me a bit concerned---we are headed to Area 1 in a week and sure don't need that

kind of surprise.

My wife has the S&A on her Series 70 Colt 9mm Govt. Model. It will work from either side.

Does require dremeling a notch inside the mag release bore. Doesn't stick out past the

grips on either side, so width isn't an issue. Weight? It might add 1/10 of an ounce,

but I doubt that it's even that much. #1 reason to have it---she LIKES it. :roflol:

Personally, I have a Wilson mag release with the Aluminum checkered "paddle" on my

Springfield 45 Single Stack gun, and do a little twist/flip to hit it. All the mag release

options accomplish the same thing--which one you use is your choice.

My wife has the S&A on her Series 70 Colt 9mm Govt. Model. It will work from either side.

Does require dremeling a notch inside the mag release bore. Doesn't stick out past the

grips on either side, so width isn't an issue. Weight? It might add 1/10 of an ounce,

but I doubt that it's even that much. #1 reason to have it---she LIKES it. :roflol:

How long has she been competing with it? I'm curious about the reliability. I'm glad I learned about it from you and might be interested in experimenting with it! :cheers:

How long has she been competing with it? I'm curious about the reliability. I'm glad I learned about it from you and might be interested in experimenting with it! :cheers:

She's had the S&A release for about 4 months now. Half a dozen matches, a few practice

sessions, maybe 2000 rounds. So not a lot. Lisa Munson uses a Mitchell on her Limited

gun. I've shot it, and the mag release is sweet. The right side releases are not cheap,

but they do seem to work for short fingered/small handed people. I've never heard

anything negative about either the S&A or Mitchell with regard to reliability. Not

for everyone, but another option to consider.

release in Single Stack?

Open17, this discussion got me curious, so I pulled the rulebook, and it's kinda vague IMHO regarding permissable modifications in Single Stack; the same is true for IDPA CDP Division. I posted a question on this in the USPSA Rules section to get some further opinions: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86310. Let's see what some others have to say.

On a side note: remember my comment on being on the knife edge for weight? USPSA maxes Single Stack guns at 43 ounces, but IDPA maxes their CDP at 41 ounces. My gun weighs 40.75 ounces. :goof: I guess I need to be sure to clean the leading out of the barrel if I ever take up IDPA, huh? LMAO!

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone else do this? I thought I'd give it a shot since I have small hands and have to actually change my grip when it comes time to reload because it's so hard to reach the magazine release with my thumb.

I did this for several years with fair success although I'm now back to using a thumb release. One thing I would suggestis that before you shoot show the R.O how you change mags. When you reload this way, especially on the move, It looks like you have your finger on the trgger. I got called on it more than once until I started showing the R.O.'s my setup.

I started shooting USPSA matches with an H&K P7 which has an ambi release and learned early on to use my index finger to release the magazine. It also guarantees (for me, at least) that my finger is off the trigger during the mag change.

I started shooting 1911s in single stack a couple of years ago and have modified my guns with a S&A ambi mag release. I've used it without problems at all. I can flip the gun and use a thumb, but I find the index finger release to work just fine for me. I have it on two 1911s and another SS and Ltd shooter friend uses Mitchell releases on his guns without a problem.

I like 'em...

I also shift my grip when dropping mags, but I use my strong hand middle finger. My trigger finger is generally a long way away from the trigger and I don't have a problem getting back into a firing grip after the reload.

When I started I had an XDm with an ambi release and I tried it with my thumb. It just wasn't as fast for me as using my middle finger.

Sean

I started shooting USPSA matches with an H&K P7 which has an ambi release and learned early on to use my index finger to release the magazine. It also guarantees (for me, at least) that my finger is off the trigger during the mag change.

I started shooting 1911s in single stack a couple of years ago and have modified my guns with a S&A ambi mag release. I've used it without problems at all. I can flip the gun and use a thumb, but I find the index finger release to work just fine for me. I have it on two 1911s and another SS and Ltd shooter friend uses Mitchell releases on his guns without a problem.

I like 'em...

Yep- its me. . . girly man hands.

I like the Mitchell release. Its more grippy and a little more easy to work with and a true drop in unit. Both brands seem to hold up well. BWNC's has been on at least 2 pistols . . .

I have a Mitchell on each LTD gun and my SS gun.

Be carefull about undercutting the trigger guard too much or there may be premature mag release. . .

Another option, push the mag release button with the thumb of your weak hand before moving that hand toward the next mag.

Only an option if you don't care about being fast. That turns what should be a simultaneous movement (instantly go for the spare mag while hitting the mag release) into a sequenced movement (hit the mag release, then go for the magazine). Slow. Really, this is the mark of the amateur.