Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most stable rifle stance...

sandman_sy

I do great in other posiitions... but these 2 had me stumped.. sometimes.. im forced to run back get a baricade hold.. so i can get a good rest and stable shot..

I know this is probably a very basic knowledge.. but i'd like to hear from the PROs on how they do this. I have problem taking standing shots.. my breathing gets in the way especially if i ran before the shot... i can see my dot breathing with me :roflol: same with kneeling.. i get this problem when i encounter plates at 100 yards and can shave off time if i take it out without getting to close.. but i can't so i have to waste my time:(

Thank you sirs... and God Bless :)

try kneeling and use a sling to help steady your position, but do not waste time getting into your sling. it should already be adjusted for proper fit. there has been one instance where getting into sitting position, was a good option but only because you didn't have to get back out of it.

practice practice and more practice in what you find difficult is always the best answer.

Trapr

Kneeling. The closer you are to the ground, the more stable the position.

Rich

+1; try braced kneeling: legs at 90 degrees, butt sitting on back heel and insertion of tricep resting on forward knee. I'm sure somebody can describe it better or provide a pic or illustration. I'll try to find one to post.

Edit for poor typing.

Edited by dsb45acp

I agree, depends on if you need to get to another position after this.

If I did.. at 100 yards.. I'd probably just take it offhand.. taking a little extra care to get a good shot off.

Another option to kneeling, etc.. Sitting.. I feel very supported, if I can go sitting.. all depends on the distance though and the size of the targets.

One of Burkett's video's shows different positions pretty well.. how to position your legs, etc, to help stabilize in sitting, kneeling, squatting positions. And how to get into them quickly.

wow.. thanx for the replies... my range day will be tomorrow. Will defntly try that out. Paper target will be at 30yards. and plates as far as 200 yards. Sure hope the hands won't be shacking tomorrow :P heheheh

A pic of the Kneeling you guys discussed won't hurt :) heheheh...

Edited by sandman_sy

Kneeling, week side knee on ground (pointing towards target), weekside heel tucked tightly against buttcheek, strong side foot planted firmly (and flat) with strong side knee slightly forward (and about 45 degrees from target), weekside chickenwing rotated slightly downward, shooting hand elbow PLANTED FIRMLY on top of strongside knee on your leg.

Fire when ready.

Kyle Lamb's book has great info on the different positions and how each can benefit you in different situations. Great read. If you are shooting in a match that I am also in, I recommend that you WALK VERY SLOWLY from shooting point to shooting point to keep your heartrate down. That way your dot or reticle won't be moving around on you so much when it's time to shoot! :goof:

Thanks, Guys :) Tried the the kneeling and sitting positions you guys described today and had no problems continuously hitting 6-10 inch steel plates at 100 yds. Are Matt Burkett's DVDs good for total beginners to 3 gun rifle?

Thanks, Guys :) Tried the the kneeling and sitting positions you guys described today and had no problems continuously hitting 6-10 inch steel plates at 100 yds. Are Matt Burkett's DVDs good for total beginners to 3 gun rifle?

yes. go get em. great vids with a ton of info.

• 2 months later...
Kneeling, week side knee on ground (pointing towards target), weekside heel tucked tightly against buttcheek, strong side foot planted firmly (and flat) with strong side knee slightly forward (and about 45 degrees from target), weekside chickenwing rotated slightly downward, shooting hand elbow PLANTED FIRMLY on top of strongside knee on your leg.

Fire when ready.

I always like to shoot just the opposite way kneeling. With my strong side leg and foot under me and my weak side knee supporting my week hand and the forearm of the rifle. Am I doing it wrong? It feels more natural to me. But so do a bunch of other things that I am working on changing since last night's lesson.

Fire when ready.

I always like to shoot just the opposite way kneeling. With my strong side leg and foot under me and my weak side knee supporting my week hand and the forearm of the rifle. Am I doing it wrong? It feels more natural to me. But so do a bunch of other things that I am working on changing since last night's lesson.

Mark is talking about reverse kneeling; thats a great way to use a barricade, as theres two points of support.

You are right, Jesse, having the support hand and the forearm of the rifle supported on bone is good.

theres a off-hand and a standing position; me thinks sandman meant off-hand.

Edited by mike cyrwus

Fire when ready.

Mark is talking about reverse kneeling; thats a great way to use a barricade, as theres two points of support.

You are right, Jesse, having the support hand and the forearm of the rifle supported on bone is good.

theres a off-hand and a standing position; me thinks sandman meant off-hand.

I use the way I described with or without a barricade. I have found thru trial and error that if I use my off-hand supported by my knee in an opposite way as described, that each tiny movement of my leg,arm,heartbeat etc is accentuated at the forearm. It has to do with geometry, and leverage. With my strong hand elbow braced,its more stable, my week hand is simply relaxed and exerting a bit of rearward pressure to get the buttstock in the shoulder pocket, not supporting the rifle at the forearm. This works real well for me, it may or may not work for others. Also try both ways after a 30yd sprint and see which way results in a steadier hold looking thru the sights.