Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backyard visitors (more pics added)

G-ManBart

This little gal (Black-Chinned Hummingbird) and a male were visiting every couple of minutes last weekend....stormy, ugly day. My neighbors have several feeders out, we have two and the combination means we get lots of visitors! Hummingbirds are just cool little critters!

IMG_0514.jpg

Edited by G-ManBart

My friend in the Jemez Mountains is feeding FIVE GALLONS of stuff to them every day :surprise:

His house is like a BEE HIVE with them :roflol: ..he must have 20 or more feeders

Thet are about the coolest little critters around and they nest all around my buddys house

The little nests are about the size of a quarter :)

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

Thanks all....I've got a few more nice ones that I'm going to upload soon. I really get a kick out of watching them zip in and out and it's good practice to get nice pics of them.

Camera is a Canon EOS Rebel XSi, lens is an EF-S 55-250 IS zoomed to 250mm (not an expensive lens, but seems to give nice clarity and the IS works pretty well). I was trying out one of the program modes (portrait) so I don't recall offhand what the shutter speed or f-stop worked out as, but I can check if anyone is interested. R,

Edit to add: I just checked and the exposure was f5.6 and 1.160th of a second. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Before I got past the title I was picturing Tommy Lee Jones arriving in lights-out helicopter to recruit Bart for Men in Black. ("It could happen!" - Judy Tenuta)

Nice pics. They're very jealous territorial creatures.

Edited by NMCOpen

Before I got past the title I was picturing Tommy Lee Jones arriving in lights-out helicopter to recruit Bart for Men in Black. (It could happen!)

Nice pics. They're very jealous territorial creatures.

MIB = Men Imitating Bart?

I like it!

They are fascinating to watch. We had a feeder as a kid that was guarded to the death by one particular male. He would sit on the power line running to the house, it was about 10 feet from the feeder. He would let any females in but any other male and he would attack, then retreat to his post. One day he just sat there. He was in the same place the next day. The next day he had fallen upside down and hung by his feet. The little guy died while on duty.

We used to find nests on the ground after storms. Those were beautiful little eggs.

Great pic and cool feeder!

We found both feeders at Lowe's. The second one is also glass and looks like a hot air balloon with little flowers around the basket....very colorful and I think both of them were $20 or under. R,

The best part is you don't have to lead them..... :surprise::goof:
True, but they're so hard to clean! :rolleyes:

:o Aw, c'mon guys!

Y' know though, I just fry'em whole. More like a bird crisp than a roast chicken. :lol:

Another cool thing is their tounge. It is so long that it kind of retreats into their head like a Stanley tape measure. Pretty cool.

Yeah G-man that last was really cool how his tail is splayed out to create drag for the stop. I really like how you can hear it when they change the pitch on their wings and you hear the buzz of the turbulence.

One of my favorite birds really.

Way cool pictures. I hope to get some like them. Kids just got me a feeder for my birthday. Putting it up in the morning

Oh, you should get some....almost certainly. I read something written by a hummingbird expert and by his calculations he estimated that each year every single square yard of the U.S. has been examined by a hummingbird at least once. No idea if it's true, but they require so much food per day they have to look almost everywhere to ensure a constant supply so it doesn't sound crazy. They even use backups at higher elevations in case there's a late freeze...they'll live off sap from old woodpecker holes and similar stuff if necessary. Really amazing little birds considering how far they migrate each year. R,

Another cool thing is their tounge. It is so long that it kind of retreats into their head like a Stanley tape measure. Pretty cool.

Yeah G-man that last was really cool how his tail is splayed out to create drag for the stop. I really like how you can hear it when they change the pitch on their wings and you hear the buzz of the turbulence.

One of my favorite birds really.

Yeah, I'm hearing that a lot when I get buzzed in the backyard now! R,

My friend in the Jemez Mountains is feeding FIVE GALLONS of stuff to them every day :surprise:

His house is like a BEE HIVE with them :roflol: ..he must have 20 or more feeders

Thet are about the coolest little critters around and they nest all around my buddys house

The little nests are about the size of a quarter :)

Jim

My parents had them like that at their house. Hundreds of them like bees on the feeders. I too think they went through a couple of gallons of day.

AL

The best part is you don't have to lead them..... :surprise::goof:
True, but they're so hard to clean! :rolleyes:

:o Aw, c'mon guys!

Y' know though, I just fry'em whole. More like a bird crisp than a roast chicken. :lol:

I tried "catch and release" but it just didn't work out so good......