Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR Speed WSM II Holster Setup

CHA-LEE

I thought that I would share my holster modification with my fellow EAA/Tanfoglio owners. I got the CR Speed WSM II Holster and when I put it all together the gun was flopping around like crazy. The retaining nub/plate that is suppose to lock in the trigger guard in is too high and forward. The only way to fix this and keep the gun in the same position on the holster is to move the retaining nub/plate lower and further back. So out came the Dremel and some elbow grease and after a little bit of time the change was made. I had to modify the locking latch a little bit and put in some set screws to make a solid locked/unlocked positions. After all of the work was done I test fit the pistol in the holster and had to massage the retaining nub a little bit so it was fully depressed when the gun was seated. Overall it was a pretty easy modification to make. The holster rocks and is 100% secure when locked down. Below are some pics of the modifications I made to the CR Speed Holster. I think this is a better solution than what I was able to find that other shooters came up with to resolve this issue. Let me know what you guys think.

Unlocked

CR_Speed_Holster_Unlocked.jpg

CR_Speed_Holster_Locked.jpg

Empty

CR_Speed_Holster_Empty.jpg

Wow, bunch of views but no comments........... Is this modification job that bad??? :wacko:

I have used this holster at two matches and two practice days and it works great. I am very plaeased with how it works and feels. Its way more comforable than the Ghost Holster and more secure too.

Wow, bunch of views but no comments........... Is this modification job that bad??? :wacko:

I have used this holster at two matches and two practice days and it works great. I am very plaeased with how it works and feels. Its way more comforable than the Ghost Holster and more secure too.

Good Job. Just probably a lot of ghost fans.. The only thing I dont like with the ghost are lay down starts or sitting. But never had a problem.

Leo

I thought that I would share my holster modification with my fellow EAA/Tanfoglio owners. I got the CR Speed WSM II Holster and when I put it all together the gun was flopping around like crazy. The retaining nub/plate that is suppose to lock in the trigger guard in is too high and forward. The only way to fix this and keep the gun in the same position on the holster is to move the retaining nub/plate lower and further back. So out came the Dremel and some elbow grease and after a little bit of time the change was made. I had to modify the locking latch a little bit and put in some set screws to make a solid locked/unlocked positions. After all of the work was done I test fit the pistol in the holster and had to massage the retaining nub a little bit so it was fully depressed when the gun was seated. Overall it was a pretty easy modification to make. The holster rocks and is 100% secure when locked down. Below are some pics of the modifications I made to the CR Speed Holster. I think this is a better solution than what I was able to find that other shooters came up with to resolve this issue. Let me know what you guys think.

Unlocked

CR_Speed_Holster_Unlocked.jpg

CR_Speed_Holster_Locked.jpg

Empty

CR_Speed_Holster_Empty.jpg

Looks good! are thoese screw that are sticking our can be modified to maybe a stud?

it will look better and professional. Good job overall!!

shooterbenedetto> Those are long set screws that are used to locate the Locked/Unlocked positions of the handle. You might be able to find some pins to use instead but given the flexible type of plastic used on this holster I would assume that they would work loose easily. I know the set screws will be a lot harder to dislodge. I am about function over fashion anyway so I can live without the "Bling".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Did mine like this and it works great. Thanks for the tip.

Currently, with the "B" retaining clip and my Witness Match, I think that I'm at the edge of having an illegal holster (Rule 5.2.7.4). I can't activate the trigger, but I can stick a pinky to touch the back of the trigger. I think that may constitute as "access".

With my Witness Match, I think that all I need to do is create a differently shaped retaining clip with the nub lower than the standard and "B" retaining clips. The one time the rounded trigger guard will actually be in my favor rather than a being an obstacle in my search for a holster that will work with this gun.

If I can't make my own retaining clip, then it'll be time to take out the Dremel and do a similar mod as CHA-LEE and JRBean.

CHA-LEE, JRBean:

How did you cover up the rectangular slot where the retention clip used to be?

I can see a Dremel being used to create the new lower and further back slot, but as far as I know a Dremel can be used to fill holes. :-) (Despite the ad where they can't use a Dremel as a hammer, I have used it for some light percussive maintenance.)

Skydiver> I didn't fill in the gap on mine. You can see from the pic's I posted that the trigger is not visible in the gap. Could you poke something in there and hit the trigger? Probably, but you would have to intentionally do it.

Skydiver> I didn't fill in the gap on mine. You can see from the pic's I posted that the trigger is not visible in the gap. Could you poke something in there and hit the trigger? Probably, but you would have to intentionally do it.

Couldn't find the right piece of plastic to reshape into a new retaining clip. And besides the modified clip would have only held down the front of the trigger guard, but not the bottom.

So the Dremel came out and the Dremel gods smiled on me. I didn't mess up my holster too badly. :-) At a later date, I may move one of the trigger guard spacers over the the right side of the holster to cover up the gap, but for now somebody will have to work very hard to access and activate the trigger through the gap.

Thanks for the idea, CHA-LEE.

• 1 year later...

For full disclosure, my mods for my Witness Match last year based on the above was an outstanding success. My mods for my my Witness Limited this past weekend was a failure. Gun dropped out 3 times while I was taping. I think I wasn't aggressive enough with the depth for the trigger guard piece. I ended up using the holster for my Match to finish the day off and not have anymore dropped guns. It'll me more time with the Dremel later this week to make things right.

Even though this CR Speed holster mod makes the gun fit into it as designed I stopped using it a while ago. This setup was really good for normal standing position draws but would get jammed up easily if the starting position had you crouching, sitting or pretty much anything other than a normal standing position. You have to draw the gun straight up about an inch then outward for a silky smooth draw. If you applied any side (in or out) pressure or twisting during the draw it would get jammed up. That and it seemed like I would forget to unlock it every other match and end up wrestling the gun out after the buzzer. I got tired of it jamming up during the draw or forgetting to unlock it so I switch over to using a Blade-Tech dropped offset paddle holster. The Blade-Tech holster may not be as sexy or fast, but it does not jam up no matter what the start position is. Its also ultra secure in retaining the gun and no lock to deal with. I guess I am just a Keep It Simple Stupid kind of guy. If I was shooting steel challenge all the time I would use the CR Speed holster as it is a speed advantage over the paddle holster.

Interesting. It looks like you use that big black spacer and the white nylon screw cranked all the way up to get the corner of the trigger guard to get trapped by the retention bar. Definitely less surgery that needs to be done to a WSM II.

Interesting. It looks like you use that big black spacer and the white nylon screw cranked all the way up to get the corner of the trigger guard to get trapped by the retention bar. Definitely less surgery that needs to be done to a WSM II.

Yes I found that black spacer at home and put it on to add some support to the nylon screw. It's so much out that it would brake eventually. I've decided to go that route, because in my opinion still looks like a original holster.