Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the pros and cons of having a light trigger (under 2 pounds) in practical shooting competition (IPSC/USPSA or IDPA).

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine today who thought it was unnessesary and occasionally dangerous to have a trigger under 3.5 pounds because he sometimes finds his finger in the trigger guard during reloading...

Also he believes a light trigger is really not needed since most shots in practical shooting are from a distance where "perfect" trigger control is not nessesary.

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

1 lb, 3.5 lbs, or 15 lbs, it doesn't matter if you have your finger in there during a relaod sooner or later you're going home, Either AD or called on it. I have mine at 2.25 lbs. I can't really see or feel any difference in the sub 2 lb ones. I can sure tell a difference in the 3.5 and up range. The heavier triggers slow my splits down. A lot is personal preference and ability level. Is a D class shooter going to need a 2 lb trigger or be able to tell the difference after the timer goes off? I doubt it but as you progress you sure will.

Stalion

First I would have to caution your friend to be certain not to have his finger in the trigger guard during the reload. That is dangerous.

My personal opinion is that both rifle and pistol shooting can be more precise and more exact if you have a crisp, light, consistant trigger pull. For me, that is about 2 lbs on a 1911 and about 2.5 lbs on a hunting rifle and about 2 oz on my bench gun. I don't think is as necessary on a shotgun, because shotgunning is pointing rather than specifically aiming.

I don't shoot much USPSA anymore and your bud is correct that IDPA is usually held to 20 yds of so for the longest shots. However, the occassional longish shot in either sport, 30 yds for IDPA and 50 yds for USPSA really require a trigger that will allow you concentrate on letting the shot go at the time the sight picture is correct, without having to shift concentration back to the trigger.

To really see how important a good trigger is in pistol shooting, try shooting a group with your pistol on a regular target, not IDPA/USPSA at 100 and then 200 yds, from the bench. For me, that exercise is futile if I have to worry about when the trigger will break while trying to maintain the proper hold (grip pressure) and sight picture. try it sometime, it is very revealing. Like BE says, aim small, miss small.

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine today who thought it was unnessesary and occasionally dangerous to have a trigger under 3.5 pounds because he sometimes finds his finger in the trigger guard during reloading...

Put on your work boots, turn your buddy around, and kick his ass up to his ears.

A heavy trigger is not a safety feature.

Tell you what...kick him again.

:wacko::blink:

Put on your work boots, turn your buddy around, and kick his ass up to his ears.

A heavy trigger is not a safety feature.

Tell you what...kick him again.

:wacko::blink:

I am not sure about your message here Flex. Could you explain your feelings a little more clearly. :D:D

You don't need a 2 lb trigger to shoot well.

But, you will find it easier to reach your potential with a really great trigger.

You just ned to find YOUR preference.

2.75 Single action on the Berettas

2 even on the Caspian

Sub 2 on the AR

Who knows on the 870 pump... :)

A lousy trigger is an obstacls, and we need to be in the business of removing obstacles.

SA

I've shot both light triggers and heavy triggers --- normal striker spring, 3.5 lb. connector with NY1 trigger module --- in IDPA matches and I generally can't tell the difference. The heavier trigger resets a little quicker; the lighter trigger is --- well, lighter. I have new appreciation for the lighter trigger after shooting my first NRA Action Pistol match last week though --- I would have hated to shoot the 35 and 50 yard strings with a duty trigger....

"Put on your boots" says Flex. Gotta love that tough love.

Finger in the trigger during a reload is a DQ. Educate your current friends or find some different ones.

A lighter crisper trigger is much easier to shoot accurately, especially as distance increases.

More fun to shoot all the time.

TommyB

Personally I can't shoot with a heavy trigger to save my life. When I was growing up and learning to shoot handguns all I shot was single action revolvers. Since then I havn't taken the time to get accostmed to a heaver trigger so I can shoot a less perfect pistol like a glock instead of a 1911 :P In the end it all comes down to what YOU like and what works best for YOU.

Flex is right on the money on this one!!!!!

Jeff

First, finger in the trigger guard. Big fat match disqualification.

I have my triggers at 2.25 pounds. It's a nice clean reset and allows me to fire faster and/or more accurate when the time calls for it, and frankly it feels better.

Rich

perfect trigger control and light triggers are not necessary in uspsa? oh ok . how about if everyone but me uses a nice creepy 5 pound trigger for all those close and easy shots we apparantly have in uspsa? that sounds like a great idea!! does this

person appreciate the absurdity of his comments on triggers? do not listen to this advice from this expert !!!!!!!! :angry:--LISTEN TO TIGHTLOOP,THE MAN KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

redmercury2,

There is a lot of gray area between a crisp 1.5 pound triger and a creepy 5 pounder.

It is kinda hard to go back to a heavier trigger, or one with more creep, after you get used to something better. However, with proper practice :D , I'll bet a lot of us could live with a decent trigger at 4 pounds or so.

Several years ago a Master (this was before there were GM's) class shooter told me that light triggers tended to remove a potential source of a mistake. He equated it to disabling the grip safety or the slide stop on a competition only gun. The light trigger would help reduce the amount of bullet impact deflection in the event that we did not make a perfect trigger pull when going fast. At the same time for those more precise shots it was invaluable.

My open guns are all 1.75lbs, limited are 2.00lbs. I can shoot limited up to about 3.5 without a major problem, but can feel even a minor change in the open guns.

flex, yes im sure i could live with a decent 4 pounder, my point is my accuracy and speed are more exact and faster which for me leads to better scores when using a decent 2 pounder.,so why compromise? what seem to be subtle differences in trigger pull,grips,pistol ergonomics et.al. for some are major differences for others. personally as my shooting has evolved i have become much more aware of these subtleties and appreciate them immensely. bottom line for me is the light triggers allow me to be a more accurate faster shooter. thanks for your reply, your opinion is valued. B)

:D , I'll bet a lot of us could live with a decent trigger at 4 pounds or so.

Now Flex, it's comments like that which make those IPSC folks (or the crazy's in USPSA) want us to have a 5# Production trigger.

I'm thinking of an appropriate punishment for you....

Yeah. I take it all back. I forgot I might be on the slippery slope...and those at IPSC might want to dumb-down my US Production equipment.

I'll drop and do some push-ups as my punishment.

Oh no...that's not punishment for you...I was thinking more along the line of solving complex quadratic equations in your head...I'll state a par time....hmm, we'll use your recent post on splits as the time to solve them. Now get out your book.

Going to a lighter, more consistent, more predictable trigger break is directly related to your hit factors and your scores. If you start out with a crummy trigger that is.

If you go from 5lb to 2.5lb, and also reduce the reset distance (that's important) then what you'll have available is:

1. A more accurate shot in the same amount of time.

or

2. An equally accurate shot in less time

or

3. Some combination of #1 and #2

Since Open shooters usually post the highest hit factors, it shows up more in that division. But it's true in all divisions.

Having said that, I read on Eric Grauffel's forum that his triggers, as well as most Tanfoglio shooters, is set to break at 1.0 kilogram, which is 2.2 lbs. I think that is about as low as anyone needs to go. The rest is just personal preference, rather than an advantage.

I like to have the reset weight very close to the let-off weight. It helps to keep my finger in contact with the trigger at all times. However, if I was a trigger-slapper, I probably wouldn't care. ;)

dvc - eric - a28026

I know Matt Burkett is a big believer in light trigger pulls. His match guns tend to go about 1.5 pounds. He sees the advantage at all distances, but especially as distance increases. As he put it, "It's really easy to not move the gun off target when the amount of energy you're putting into pulling the trigger is less than the weight of the gun."