Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having spares

G-ManBart

I was comparing something on two of my Open guns tonight and noticed that the left side thumb safety on one of them has a crack right where the flat meets the pin. I use SV safeties on all my guns as I don't think I've ever even heard about them failing like this (granted, it's the most common failure type), but sure enough, a crack it is. I took the safety off and can't see any movement of the part when I put pressure on it, so it probably would have lasted a while before totally failing, but I sure am happy I always keep a spare set of safeties around just for this sort of thing (actually have fitted spares for most of my guns). I'm also glad I caught it before the match next week or the HDC in a couple of weeks!

Spares rock! :cheers:

You mean like this? (Blurry cell phone pic with low light)

And I got the SV safety b/c after reading this forums, I was under the impression that lefties like me would do better with it. When I inquired, Brandon told me that excessive torque could do it, but I know my gunsmith made sure that I couldn't put too much on it even by riding it.

They did send me a warranty replacement, though. :cheers:

photo.jpg

I fit BOTH sets Darryl broke, one was blue and hard chromed so it could have been hydrogen embrittlement , the other was stainless and bead blasted to match the chrome on his gun. They were fit 'right' and broke. It happens. I have broken one set on my Open gun but knock on wood I have only broken one set of SV safeties myself and to me with the round count I have on them they are worlds better than anything else out there. I am a consistent safety breaker, I know this and I ALWAYS have a spare set with me at a match. I have broken many of every other brand out there and I am absolutely convinced that the SV set up is the best going right now. That I have still broken them is a slight disappointment but that I have only broken one set on my guns with the round count total is amazing really.

Send them the broken set, they will send you another, have it fit to your gun and a spare set. SV is great to work with.

EDIT: hint..... If someone would make them out of S7 tool steel we could all relax a bit on the spares......

Edited by HSMITH

Oh, I'm definitely not bagging on SV at all. I don't ride safeties very hard, but I think I'm very aggressive in how I disengage them on the draw, so I'm not surprised I finally broke a set. I've got them on four guns and this is the first failure. I sent them a note and I'd expect they'll replace them. BTW, they were blued that I polished to match the rest of the gun (they were out of SS at the time). R,

I have broken Baer safeties in the past as well, but they are at least as good as any of the other mainstream brands and better than a lot. I don't think the ones I broke were machined though, I think they were cast very well....

Seth, no, I haven't, and I won't until they come out with an ambi. I engage the safety for transfer to weak hand stuff and need the right side lever.....

Be nice if someone would come up with a list of replacement parts in order of most commonly needed. Maybe they have and I haven't seen it published in that order.

That way one could have a kit as complete as he felt comfortable with. Perhaps a local kit, car travel kit, flying travel kit.

As a full size lefty I am pretty hard on ambi-safeties. Snapped a few until I ran up on King's many, many years ago.

Never have broke one and I love how they hold the right side (my side) on using a dovetail on an extended hammer pin

with corresponding dovetail cut in the safety paddle.

Patrick