Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guga Ribas - Safety Screw

UW Mitch

This weekend at the TriCounty match, I had something scary happen as I was walking from one stage to the next...DROPPED GUN. I'm always very sure to check that it's locked into my Guga Ribas, so I was very startled when it happened. I looked down at it, and then at my belt and realized the entire holster piece had come out. I asked another RO to come over and pick it up so we could walk over to the safety table. He said he had one, and this was the reason he got rid of it.

I like the Guga, but I was worried the rest of the match. So I came up with a little fix - drilled and tapped a 2-56 hole, to put a 2-56 socket head cap screw into. So now even if the knob comes out again, the holster can't drop through the belt attachment like this weekend. Sure I can't take it off the belt on a whim, but I like the idea of the added security my "Safety Screw" provides.

Hope this help someone else from a dropped gun. What if it hadn't dropped until I got to LAMR on the next stage? That would've could've been disastrous!

~Mitch

post-12026-1242707823_thumb.jpg

The exact same thing happened to me at TriCounty last year!!

I had a WSM II holster (with the rod and set screw). Mine slowly slide down the rod as I walked and fell off on my way to the 1st stage. Same thing, got an RO and went to the safety area....

Yep, they're kind of notorious for that.

My first experience with this was when I went to holster and it fell off my belt. Luckily, still had a hold on gun with holster attached.

Loctite has worked fine for the past couple of years.

"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

You loctite guys kills me! That would've been so much smarter. I got a milling machine from a friend, and now all I want to do is drill holes :D For those of you with drill presses or milling machines you're dying to use, here's one more hole to drill ;) For the rest, I suppose loctite is a faster less expensive solution :mellow:

~Mitch

I noticed it would loosen up when I got my first Ribas so I simply used a large pair of channel lock pliers and tightened it up extra snug and it never happened again. I've done the same with the newer holster and it's been fine as well.

It I were responsible for the design I'd close the top of the slot that the screw goes through. That way even if the screw got loose it might fall an inch or so, but it would stop at the end of the slot. All you'd have to do to take the holster off would be to completely unscrew the thumb screw rather than just loosen it...not a bad compromise. R,

It I were responsible for the design I'd close the top of the slot that the screw goes through. That way even if the screw got loose it might fall an inch or so, but it would stop at the end of the slot. All you'd have to do to take the holster off would be to completely unscrew the thumb screw rather than just loosen it...not a bad compromise. R,

One of the ROs who was there when it happened (who happens to work in a mill) said if I had a tig welder or knew someone who did, to just weld in a little bridge over the top as you've suggested. Maybe it's a point for a future redesign.

~Mitch

I would just like to get my hands on one of these to try out. I wish you could still get them over here.

maybe someone will start making something identical over here..... ;) ;) ??

I've got a replacement inbound (at some point soon) and when I actually have another spare we might be able to work out a demo for you if you want to give one a try. I know that Ribas is just shipping a whole bunch of them (my replacement came from this production run). R,

One of the ROs who was there when it happened (who happens to work in a mill) said if I had a tig welder or knew someone who did, to just weld in a little bridge over the top as you've suggested. Maybe it's a point for a future redesign.

~Mitch

I've been talking to the factory rep pretty regularly while waiting for my replacement holster and I'll mention this to him. I actually mentioned a couple of small things and he said he'd pass them along to the tech folks. R,

Guys,

You do realize all this loc tite and set screw sort of defeats the whole purpose of the holster design, right?

Ribas has a gun pouch/rug that covers the holster block and gun. Once covered, you can remove your gun/holster assembly by loosening the screw and sliding it out. As for being able to remove/replace your "covered/bagged" gun from ones person, not sure if its legal or not according to the rules, but the majority of RO's I talked to at last years A2 said they had no problem with me removing/replacing my "covered/bagged" gun.

Just a FYI.

Edited by yoshidaex

Guys,

You do realize all this loc tite and set screw sort of defeats the whole purpose of the holster design, right?

I bag my gun after every stage (as I suspect many of us do) so it's not an issue.

When I took my RO class, the instructor was explict that the shooter cannot "ungun" in this manner unless in a safe area or under the control of the RO at the end of the stage. So I don't see why not just bag as normal as opposed to taking the whole unit off the belt attachment.

~Mitch

Guys,

Ribas has a gun pouch/rug that covers the holster block and gun. Once covered, you can remove your gun/holster assembly by loosening the screw and sliding it out. As for being able to remove/replace your "covered/bagged" gun from ones person, not sure if its legal or not according to the rules, but the majority of RO's I talked to at last years A2 said they had no problem with me removing/replacing my "covered/bagged" gun.

Just a FYI.

When I took my RO class, the instructor was explict that the shooter cannot "ungun" in this manner unless in a safe area or under the control of the RO at the end of the stage. So I don't see why not just bag as normal as opposed to taking the whole unit off the belt attachment.

~Mitch

Thats good to know.

If thats the case, there really is no reason the Ribas has to be designed that way.

I guess I'll be loc titing my screw too.

I love that the Ribas comes off, I remove mine after the match to allow me to pack my bag easier. I dont use anything but finger strength to tighten mine and have not found the screw loose at the end of any match. But that being said if a person did not use that function every time I could see it being able to come loose. The factory being asked to close the top or have a push button for total removal would be ok. I am not in a big hurry to take it off but I would like it to still come off!

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Guga Ribas, but I too have been a victim of the Ribas Removable Holster. I have applied the loc-tite fix, but I really wish they would incorporate G-ManBart's suggestion. It would be nice for it to be removable for easy storage after the match without having the risk of a dropped gun.

The other problem I have had with the Ribas is that in the winter, my outer coat has swiped the locking lever to the middle position. It did not go to the fully unlocked position, but it was too close for my comfort. Other than bagging between every stage, grinding down the lever, or cranking up the tension; does anyone have a solution for "locking the locking lever"?

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me, except i was in the parking lot :D Since no one saw the incident, I quickly picked up the gun, held it against my side like it was holstered and went straight to the safety area. :P

I used locktite also right after that. I think the Guga is a great holster and wouldn't change it at all just because of that one incident.