Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Informal match with 6" revolvers and no holsters?

PhotoRecon

I live in a rural area and 6" DA revolvers in .357/38 are as popular as shovels. We would like to get some of these shooters going with some informal gatherings that would hopefully lead to increased participation in our more organized events. Although I would prefer these shooters show up with a holster for safety reasons allot of them simply don't have much in the way of gear. I'm looking for ideas on how these folks can compete without a holster. Possibly keep the revolvers on a table with cylinders open until there turn at the line, etc?

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Regards...

Have them bag and unbag there guns when it is there turn to shoot. Have them start loaded, finger off the trigger, hammer down, at the low ready. They will still need moonclip holders or speedloader holders though.

Tom

You can start with the gun on the table either loaded or unloaded. You will need a case to get the gun to the table. The only caveat is that before the start signal but after the stand by command the hands cannot be in contact with the gun or ammo. It is a safety issue.

The problem is ending the string of fire, without a holster it will need to be unloaded and cased before leaving the stage.

You could also have every stage use tables or barrels and have everything, gun and ammo, on the tables and barrels. This means all a shooter needs is their revolver, a bag of some type, ammo, and speedloaders/moonclips.

Take a honest look at what you are trying to accomplish, I'm gonna assume increased numbers at actual matches. Nothing wrong with orientation matches, but how much do you really want to cater to people ? A shooter that cant afford or doesnt take shooting serious enough to even own a holster isnt ever gonna get involved in the sport. Begging and bargaining to try to get someone to show up is a loosing battle. Sorta like the people that fall all over themselves to get cops to show up only to see them leave when they realize the match doesnt include free ammo.

Take a honest look at what you are trying to accomplish, I'm gonna assume increased numbers at actual matches. Nothing wrong with orientation matches, but how much do you really want to cater to people ? A shooter that cant afford or doesnt take shooting serious enough to even own a holster isnt ever gonna get involved in the sport. Begging and bargaining to try to get someone to show up is a loosing battle. Sorta like the people that fall all over themselves to get cops to show up only to see them leave when they realize the match doesnt include free ammo.

I kind a have a tendancy to agree with the above. But, if you want to have a go at introducing people to the sport, you may best be served by offering up loaner equipment. Just have them bring factory ammo to run in your stuff.

Or do a Bowling Pin Match :cheers: No holster needed and only 5 shots, er I mean 5 pins.

[quote

Or do a Bowling Pin Match :cheers: No holster needed and only 5 shots, er I mean 5 pins.

Maybe Steel Challenge? I know around here at the club matches they will let newbies

shoot darned near anything from low ready. No movement, no reloads required,

but a good taste of shooting against the clock.

Our first and last USPA & IDPA matches of the year are that way, ammo and guns are staged on barrels and benches, though most people holster their gun under their coat.

We recently had a .22 match the same way. Pistols were bagged or cased after cleared. Worked just fine.

We shoot steel challenge with 22's in this manner. No holster, ammo on a barrel or bench. Stand and shoot, low ready start. You could also do like they do at the Glock matches. Another venue where it's basically stand and shoot on the clock.

I was the guy they are trying to hook and hooked I am. And I have a friend that got hooked along with me. We brought a third in 2 years ago with the same system. We have a fourth that is on the fence for financial reasons. There's a fifth that is going to his first match next month. I'll lay odds he sticks with it, buys compliant gear and becomes a regular match shooter.

I think your premise is wrong. There are a whole lot of people that can afford it but just haven't spent the money. If you require them to spend a couple of hundred bucks just to try shoot and move games, they never will. But if you give them an opportunity to try it on the cheap good things can happen.

I was the guy they are trying to hook and hooked I am. And I have a friend that got hooked along with me. We brought a third in 2 years ago with the same system. We have a fourth that is on the fence for financial reasons. There's a fifth that is going to his first match next month. I'll lay odds he sticks with it, buys compliant gear and becomes a regular match shooter.

I think your premise is wrong. There are a whole lot of people that can afford it but just haven't spent the money. If you require them to spend a couple of hundred bucks just to try shoot and move games, they never will. But if you give them an opportunity to try it on the cheap good things can happen.

I loaned both of my brothers the gear to shoot 1 match and they both got hooked. One has already plunked down the cash for his gun and rig and the other is working on his "finance minister" to get it going. If they had to put down the money up front I don't think they would have committed to it.

-ld

Joe4d:

All we're going to do is make the opportunity available for them to try what they've got in a safe and sound manner in the hope that they may choose to come back again. No pressure, incentives, begging, bargaining or catering.

Looks like the use of tables, low ready position, etc. is a good place to start.

Thanks for all the responses everyone...

Regards...

An informal no holster match could be run with GSSF rules. The shooter sets up their gear on a table, un-bag their unloaded gun, under RO guidance they load up, and start with the timer from the low ready position. Shoot all of the strings required, unload, re-bag the gun, score the targets. For more info on how to setup the 3 stages, check the GSSF homepage.