Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.380 brass in my 9mm bucket!

bbbean

Bought a bunch of brass from a reputable dealer, but somehow, he managed to include a smal number of .380s. It never fails that just as soon as I've got everything right and a good rhythm going, I'll hit a .380, and have to stop, try to remove the primer, set the brass aside, and then cycle the turret with one station empty. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

Then there are the 9mm cases that end up in with the .40's because they conveniently fit perfectly inside one another. But I must admit that while I have managed to load a few 380's on my 9mm press (it's ugly), I've never loaded a 9mm on my .40 press.

I know one fellow who claims he actually had a 380 get loaded and in with his practice ammo and actually chambered and fired it. He says he might not have noticed if hadn't failed to extract.

I know one fellow who claims he actually had a 380 get loaded and in with his practice ammo and actually chambered and fired it. He says he might not have noticed if hadn't failed to extract.

Been there done that. I saw it after I already had a primer in it so I went ahead and loaded it up, set it aside. It ran through my gun no problem felt the same and extracted no problem as well.

now a 38 super in your 9mm mix... that will lock up the press quick! :roflol:

Done this one too. It made it though resizing, primer and powder drop, I saw it on it's way to the bullet drop. Has one hell of a bell on the case mouth. I keep it on the bench to drop powder charges for measurement.

They're really difficult to distinguish from a 9mm case in the processors perspective. The human eye is cheaper and slower than the auto case sorters, but the .380 always seems to get in 9mm batches....sometimes .380 cases have a reddish hue from the manufacturer. If your looking at a lot of brass you can tell it apart from the 9mm.

Edited by A-shot

.380s in your 9 are a pain, 9s or supers in your .40 are a pain but usually they lock up the case feeding on a 650. .380s in .40 really suck, they hide down inside the case, pass thur the case feed and usually cost me a decap pin, probaly do the same in a .45. Mixed brass is a pain overall but .380 just suck peroid. Add .32s and .22s to that---------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

I pick up the occaisonal .380 in my range brass. Never loaded one though. Either I feel the reduced sizing pressure or it pops out of the shell plate on my 550 when I try to seat the primer.

Th e.38 super/super comp, or 9x23 I catch when it takes too much pressure to resize.

Now, I usually see the wrong brass and sort it out when I start to pick it up.

Kachik-kerplunk...kachik-kerplunk...kachik-kerplunk...kachik-kerplunk...(9mm rounds falling into the bin off of my SDB).

Kachik-kerplunk...kachik-kerplunk...kaCHONK..*$^#%@!*&!!![/ (slamming the ram into the sizing die with that nasty lil' 380 case...

Edited by kevin c

Reading posts like this make me appreciate my ARDD (Anal Retetion Deficit Disorder) method of standing up all cases on the bench and checking for debris before individually resizing & depriming every case on a RCBS Rock Chucker.

The great joy of being retired and SINGLE.

I use the case sorter. Cant remember who makes it. The stack of 3 baskets with slots for all 3 sizes. 9mm, 40 and 45. They also make a 380 bucket. The 3 I have work great. I dont see much 380 where I shoot so I havent felt the need for that one. I have mostly picked up on the supers.

Eliminate chamber checking loaded rounds, and you free up the time to inspect your brass before loading.

I hate the idea of loading the junk brass that won't pass.

Edited by wide45

I had about 5k of mixed brass under the bench, and bought another 5k from another CGN'er. Unfortunately, I found .380 cases and a bunch of unusual brand with extremely tiny flash holes.

I now have a large amount of sorted Win, Fed, and an equal amount of other mixed commercial (blaser, cci, r-p) plus a pile of crimped brass. With the 1050, I normally wouldn't care, but since I had to sort anyway....