Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airline approved

Since I'm going to shoot both ends of the Nationals, I'll be tight on the luggage weight and size requirements. I would like to use a carry on bag that fits in the compartment and will serve as a range bag. Anyone have any thoughts??

Also need a Pelican case for 2 guns,mags, some parts and tools, which model should I get?

CED Backpack!

{edit mode on} I travel quite a bit with equipment in tow - usually a pelican hardcase however there are others out there that are lighter and just as durable. Ammo is usually shipped unless the round count is less than 300 (40 cal). I usually carry the ipod, belt/holster, and a 1 day change of clothes in the ced backpack. I've only had one :surprise: oops. A live round had fell between material folds deep in the back of the bag and the xray caught it. It took the agent on duty several minutes to extract, my brief explanation, and a disposal....lesson learned with this double duty travel backpack. The bag routinely gets swabbed - no issues.

post-787-1242144572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sterling White

Maybe this is a hijacking (of the thread), maybe not.

I was wondering about something similar. Doesn't anyone worry about their carry-on going through the 'sniffer' at the airports? I've had my computer bag swabbed with a small patch and run into a sniffer machine many times. It might cost you a missed flight and some time in the back room to explain why your range bag / carry-on popped positive for nitrocellulous based explosives (aka, powder residue). Furthermore, my luggage has been searched by dogs many times (usually looking for fruit/plants in customs), and they might be trained to smell some explosives too.

I've always been very careful to not use my range backpack as a luggage when I travel because I'm really worried about setting off an alarm. Am I crazy, or should I be concerned? Any TSO people out there? Anyone who knows about the 'sniffers' ?

when i have flown to a match, my wife usually goes too. i have an extra piece of luggage that i put my range bag, boots, holster, and locking pelican case for the gun.

if i were you, going by myself, i'd carry the luggage as described above. i'd carry my close and personal stuff in a carry on bag.

i don't think it would be a good idea to carry your holster or mags and stuff as carry on. to much grief.

lynn

Since I'm going to shoot both ends of the Nationals, I'll be tight on the luggage weight and size requirements. I would like to use a carry on bag that fits in the compartment and will serve as a range bag. Anyone have any thoughts??

Also need a Pelican case for 2 guns,mags, some parts and tools, which model should I get?

Have you considerd shipping everything except the guns to the hotel or the range via UPS? That'd cut down on the weight and hassle issues while flying.

when i have flown to a match, my wife usually goes too. i have an extra piece of luggage that i put my range bag, boots, holster, and locking pelican case for the gun. if i were you, going by myself, i'd carry the luggage as described above. i'd carry my close and personal stuff in a carry on bag. i don't think it would be a good idea to carry your holster or mags and stuff as carry on. to much grief. lynn

Yeah that's my plan, just looking for a carry-on that would double as a range bag or vice-versa.

I was wondering about something similar. Doesn't anyone worry about their carry-on going through the 'sniffer' at the airports? I've had my computer bag swabbed with a small patch and run into a sniffer machine many times. It might cost you a missed flight and some time in the back room to explain why your range bag / carry-on popped positive for nitrocellulous based explosives (aka, powder residue). Furthermore, my luggage has been searched by dogs many times (usually looking for fruit/plants in customs), and they might be trained to smell some explosives too.

I've always been very careful to not use my range backpack as a luggage when I travel because I'm really worried about setting off an alarm. Am I crazy, or should I be concerned? Any TSO people out there? Anyone who knows about the 'sniffers' ?

I've been told the machine sniffs for HE residue (i.e. plastic explosive, etc, etc) and not low volume stuff like gun powder.

I`v been listening to Matt Burketts radio show on Podcast, and he says that the rules for "traveling with gun" are most relaxed at Southwest Airline.

Hes traveling all over the world competing in 3-gun, and has huge experience with "traveling with gun". According to him hes flown 5-600 round-trips with Southwest, with guns.

He do NOT recomend Delta. They have a negative view on pll traveling with firearms. F.ex Delta says that you cant put a pistol and a rifle in one case (sucks if you travel to a 3-gun competition.)

On Soutwest you get EXTRA perks if you travel with "Sporting equipment". The norm is 3 bags, but if one of the bags contain "Sporting equipment", that bag is extra. So you can have 3 bags pluss your gunbag.

I recomend checking out "Practical shooting tv and radio" on podcast. The show in question is show number 10.

No i dont work at Soutwest airlines ;)

I've been told the machine sniffs for HE residue (i.e. plastic explosive, etc, etc) and not low volume stuff like gun powder.

I'm not sure if the machines in the normal passenger screening area are the same or not, but any time I put ammo in my checked bag (with a note and business card) that bag mysteriously gets' "randomly" screened by TSA. that's happened every single time which tells me the machines are picking up on the residue from my reloads or in the boxes (Dillon ammo boxes).

My Shooter's Connection Tournament Ultra bag fits in overheads just fine. Granted, my carry-ons don't go through screening, which makes things easier, but they do fit overhead compartments. Nothing like having a couple of Open guns and 400 rounds with you in case the bad guys try anything :devil:

Pelican 1550 will hold 2 open guns, 500 rnds ammo, 4 big sticks and 3 140's and misc parts and tool kit. Great case that has all the padding/protection you need.....air and water tight.....I too use my shooters connection bag as my carry on.....I have flown SouthWest out to the Double Tapp last 3 years via South West out of Birmingham into Dallas Love Field and to Tampa for the FL Open, never had an issue, SouthWest RULES when it comes to flying with guns and ammo....

Edited by DrawandDuck

I got hit by one when the first deployed them at Dulles. I had about 50 or 75 rounds of .45. It was pretty funny when the TSA guy said "Sir, I am going to have to search your bag but don't worry, I was raised in Montana." I damn near missed my flight because the guy wanted to talk guns. :lol:

Later,

Chuck

I'm not sure if the machines in the normal passenger screening area are the same or not, but any time I put ammo in my checked bag (with a note and business card) that bag mysteriously gets' "randomly" screened by TSA. that's happened every single time which tells me the machines are picking up on the residue from my reloads or in the boxes (Dillon ammo boxes).

My Shooter's Connection Tournament Ultra bag fits in overheads just fine. Granted, my carry-ons don't go through screening, which makes things easier, but they do fit overhead compartments. Nothing like having a couple of Open guns and 400 rounds with you in case the bad guys try anything :devil:

GMan--Amen to that. Membership does have its benefits!!! The last time I flew I think I talked one of the pilots into shooting USPSA. He had me show him my gear and he was salivating at the mouth!!! :rolleyes:

Very stealthy and sneaky spray 5 bags in front of yours with a small amount of orange juice.

Sprinkle powder on another 5 bags and you'll fly through check points while they're busy clubbing the other passengers like baby seals.

:roflol:

JK

Doesn't the gun and ammo have to be in seperate checked baggage? (if you are taking ammo on flight), or can it all be in same items?

Nope, all in same case/bag (checked).

Below are SouthWest's rules.....don't know bout the rest of them...

Guns

Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.

Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and prove that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.

Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, LOCKED container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:

A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.

A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.

Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.

Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.

Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.

Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be conditionally accepted

post-6763-1242179871_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

I'm flying Delta and accoprding to their baggage restrictions, my range bag (the big SC bag) won't fit as carry-on. That was my original plan. Has anybody used this bag as carryon on Delta? I was sorta thinking about the new SC bag that was slightly smaller, but even that doesn't fit according to the dimensions.

Nothing like having a couple of Open guns and 400 rounds with you in case the bad guys try anything :devil:

And --- if there's a second Open competitor on the plane...... :devil:

I'll hope that he/she is close enough that I can toss over one of the blasters and a big stick! Air Marshalls, we don't need no stinkin' Air Marshalls....we just need a couple of USPSA shooters on every flight.

Oh my, that could SO be turned into a cool stage with dropout bad guys and a swinger or two with a whole bunch of no-shoots! If it didn't bring up negative memories it would be a lock for a big match. R,

I'm flying Delta and accoprding to their baggage restrictions, my range bag (the big SC bag) won't fit as carry-on. That was my original plan. Has anybody used this bag as carryon on Delta? I was sorta thinking about the new SC bag that was slightly smaller, but even that doesn't fit according to the dimensions.

You will be surprised what you can stuff into that little metal bag size check thingy.......

GMan--Amen to that. Membership does have its benefits!!! The last time I flew I think I talked one of the pilots into shooting USPSA. He had me show him my gear and he was salivating at the mouth!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had one of the flight deck officers flying armed ask me "hey, got any extra .40 with you?" Turns out they have to PAY for all their ammo. I knew that but had sort of forgotten. Since then, whenever possible, I'll put a box or two of practice ammo from my stash in the carry-on just in case. Good will towards flight crews never hurts! R,

Why not just UPS your gear (except for guns) to yourself at your hotel?

When I was doing the road warrior sales gig many moons ago and had a ton of sales literature to dispense at shows I'd just UPS the whole mess to my hotel (including most of my luggage), carry a light carry on bag and life was good. And this was in the days before online tracking (okay...it was like 10 years before the Internet went public). Now you could send it and know it was there when you stepped on your plane.

• 2 weeks later...

I have qualified for three Southwest companion passes, this translates to a lot of flights. I have even had a GM use my miles on other airlines because I could not.

Most 18 inch luggage will fit in the overhead. Some 20 and 22 will also. Get one. Go to Sierra Trading post and buy one.

If you have a 30 inch bag, most often you will over pack and exceed the weight limit. So go for two bags--24 inches is the minimum.

Buy a set where you can attached a smaller one to the larger one.

I can do a week a Nationals with three bags and still have clothes left over. I have been to two mud Nationals and did not have to do laundry. I have several Pelicans. I rarely travel with them. They are bulky and take up too much room and weight. I use a regular hard sided pistol case. I stick inside my range bag. Both are locked. This only discourages stealing. If they want it, it does not matter if it is in a Pelican or small pistol case. Note: this is for pistols only, note 3Gun gear.

I have gotten past the ammo issue by placing it into two different bags. Only once in 5 years did I have to take ammo back to my car. I make sure the carry on is clean. I got nailed for ammo in a bag once and for a mag in a bag. The TSA went crazy over the mag, the SEA-TAC cop was cool and thought there was an over-reaction, and the SWA supervisor was angry at the TSA person for being a jerk and wasting people's time. So no gun belt, etc on the carry on.

I have FedEx my ammo before. You need to decide if you want to declare it as ammo or not. Be aware of the consequences.

Also, regardless of what is written, each airport interrupt the regulations to suit their needs. So be prepared. In Burbank, I had to be physically present while TSA searched my bag. LAX I usually wait to see if they open it or not.

My new bag (a Shooters Connection Ultra) that I got earlier this year is within the size limits for carry on luggage. Great bag by the way.

On my way home to Sweden from Florida Open two years ago had I an incident that I can still have nightmares about.

My schedule took me from Orlando to Chicago and then on to Stockholm. I was traveling with my SVI Limited in 40S&W and about 150 rounds of ammo that was leftover from the match.

From Orlando to Chicago no problem with TSA at all, but in Chicago was it a different story.

The airline that I was flying home with (Scandinavian Airlines) wanted to take a peek at my gun, no problem there but after that was it TSA that wanted to take a look.They opened both my bags looked at the gun and the ammo no problem. But just as they where about to close the bags came someone with a piece of "cloth" and rubbed inside my bag and after testing came the result "EXPLOSIVES". Everything and I mean everything in my bags was taken out and looked closely at by a bunch of people. I didnt feel at ease at all to be honest. What they came up with was powder residue on my clothes and shoes that I had used during the match. The senior TSA guy told me to wash my shooting clothes next time before boarding a flight (Yes Sir I will do that).

While all this was happening was there plenty of people queing at the Scandinavian counter. I felt like a terrorist, but when it was my turn at the counter was I told by the friendly lady that checked my bags. I have upgraded you from coach you look as you need that. So it all ended well but it is not something that I would like to do again ever.

Edited by ALF