Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmithing Files

al503

Looking for recommendations on some not too expensive general/all purpose gunsmithing files (if there are such things.)

I don't want to spend too much money on these as they'll probably see very little use but I want to have them on hand just in case.

I did a search but couldn't really find anything.

Edited by al503

Hello: Get a set of Swiss files(type of files not a brand). These will give you all the files you will need for a day or two :roflol: I am a Tool and Die maker (in a past life) and have drawers full of files (hundreds probibly) and still find I need more. Files do get dull over time but if you take care of them they will last decades. I think you will find that Gunsmiths have there favorite files they like to use most often. Maybe you could get the Gunsmiths to take a photo of there bench with all the files sitting on it :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Al, just get yourself a 1x30" belt sander from Harbor Frieght - I think it's got about a 40 grit belt on it. Should take care of that extractor no problem ;) What I will say about files, is typically I've found the cheap ones to not be worth a damn - save a few bucks but then potentially ruin a part because you have to push too hard, or whatever. Since it's your guns you're working on buy quality.

~Mitch

Don't forget a set or 2 of the cheap diamond files like they have at Harbor Freight, gun shows, etc. The cheap ones

are as good as any and usually last a long time. You can get a set of 5 for 10 or 15 dollars. They are great on

hardened steel to move material, then use a stone to finish.