Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rework a AR carrier to lighten it

<_< a JP carrier is near $200 with a wait for the 6oz one, Young has an 8oz for $150+ and a wait.

I am, we are wondering about working over a stock carrier to tack out some dead meat :mellow:

I have the instruction for removing two of the weights in the buffer and replacing with an aluminum rod the same size.

:unsure: crazy or Crazy Not?

:wacko: Oh man , I should be DQ from posting tonight. I will ask Shred to fix it

Help Mod Help !

:blush: What I did was........do a search to try and find the information first. - I found a post that was similar to my question, and from that I hit new topic :mellow:

Edited by AlamoShooter

BTW, this test of manufacturing was mentioned to Jamie, by the same guy that "customized" his Remmy 700 trigger with a hammer???

It really is funny how some people will consider something as being OK, when someone else agrees with their idea.

Chris, I was being completely serious when I spoke of the way I customized my trigger, I just think Jamie is being waaaaaay out in the wrong field, right now.

Trapr

FWIW a Colt non-shrouded FP 1/2 circle carrier with carrier key mounted is 8.63oz, I weighed a Young Mfg skeletonized light carrier from a S&W M&P15 PC and it was 8.62oz......

Edited by gotm4

BTW, this test of manufacturing was mentioned to Jamie, by the same guy that "customized" his Remmy 700 trigger with a hammer???

It really is funny how some people will consider something as being OK, when someone else agrees with their idea.

Chris, I was being completely serious when I spoke of the way I customized my trigger, I just think Jamie is being waaaaaay out in the wrong field, right now.

Trapr

:unsure: I am at home. how could I get a compuda to work in a ......Field?

The stock carriers can be lightened. They are hard, and hard on tools. I took one and turned the back end of it, similar to the JP stainless carrier, cut out a section in the top, then did a ball cut on the back side, in front of the cam. Turning the back of it, with the interupted cut, kicked the heck out the carbide tool. It needed resharpening quite often.

I never did get around to weighing the difference between stock and modified. I do know that my rifle shoots softer with it than with the full weight carrier.

Guy I know Swiss Cheesed his with a carbide drill bit, looked like a honey comb on the back and he drilled the heck out of the area in front of the gas ring race as well, worked great, but it took a few carbide bits, and a whole lot of time. He figured that at $20.00/hr it cost him about $200.00 plus the bits, but the time was his own. It did eventually crack but I must say it was darn light! KurtM

Edited to take out the "Texas Chop Saw massacre" reference, cause it would make Texans mad

Edited by kurtm

Yeah, sure Kurt, "I guy I know"?????????????

We Texans are quite proud of any thing that follows or precedes the word massacre, provided we were not personally in the fray.

I mean come on, its not like people were looking for SALT, or nuthin. :roflol:

Trapr

:cheers: It Worked! :) I removed close to 1oz from the carrier, it looks like the back end of the YM carrier.

Used a grinder and thin bits in a dremel to shape it out. it now is just at or under 8oz I will take photos in a few days, I am not so good at posting photos.

I removed two of the 5/8 oz weights from the buffer and cut a nylon tube to fill in the gap.

The Gun shoots snappy the dip from the bolt going forward is not near as much.

I am going to try it with one of the 5/8 oz weights back in the buffer to see how that feels.

I definitely like the rifle stock better than the Carbine stock. and with the lighter carrier the feel is even better still.

I have a YM carrier coming in the next few weeks, I know that it will be worth the cash for one that is chromed.

:huh: And lacks Hill-Billy tracks :blush:

Edited by AlamoShooter

:cheers: It Worked! :) I removed close to 1oz from the carrier, it looks like the back end of the YM carrier.

Used a grinder and thin bits in a dremel to shape it out. it now is just at or under 8oz I will take photos in a few days, I am not so good at posting photos.

I removed two of the 5/8 oz weights from the buffer and cut a nylon tube to fill in the gap.

The Gun shoots snappy the dip from the bolt going forward is not near as much.

I am going to try it with one of the 5/8 oz weights back in the buffer to see how that feels.

I definitely like the rifle stock better than the Carbine stock. and with the lighter carrier the feel is even better still.

I have a YM carrier coming in the next few weeks, I know that it will be worth the cash for one that is chromed.

:huh: And lacks Hill-Billy tracks :blush:

Just remember you need some loose weight in the buffer to make sure the bolt locks up. Otherwise the bolt can "bounce" out of battery.

I got a 1/2 aluminum rod and cut sections the same size as the weights in the buffer.

I am going to try it with just one of the 5/8 oz weights switched in the buffer

Funny when I was shooting it as a single shot varmint gun, I wanted more weight in the carrier and buffer to keep it lock longer :mellow: , That's what the book said to do :unsure:

Jamie, is 8oz for the carrier and gas key or completey assembled with bolt. Also if you remove three weights and measure them together and cut a piece of aluminum tubing (not rod) the same length as the three weights the buffer will be within .4 oz of the jp buffer. Weigh yours though as i have seen small differances in carrier weights, but they are not significant. This should have a buffer with two weights and one piece of aluminum tube. I personally put the tube in the back end of the buffer.

Edited by mpeltier